View Full Version : Monster Shark Tournament

Bronko
07-18-2006, 07:24 AM
OK.... who's in? I'll be fishing my 7th this weekend. :musc: Anyone else running a boat or on a crew?

thefishingfreak
07-18-2006, 07:42 AM
we'll be there on the PEGASUS :cheers:

Bronko
07-18-2006, 12:45 PM
Nice FFreak! I'll be on the Ava Catherine this year. if i see the Pegasus I'll say hello.

partsjay
07-18-2006, 01:00 PM
How can I find out about doing this next year? Are there boats you can help on...or do you need your own team? Jay

Bronko
07-18-2006, 04:12 PM
I'd ask around about joining a crew or pitching in with a bunch of friends and running a boat. It is a blast. Probably my favorite weekend of the summer.

Here is the website.

http://www.bbgfc.com/

Phestaris
07-18-2006, 04:52 PM
I'll be there. I'll be fishing on Kaama this year. Mike are you staying onboard? I'll look for you.

thefishingfreak
07-18-2006, 04:56 PM
were on a mooring in vinyard-haven but we'll be hanging arround oaks bluff, i'll keep an eye out for you.

keeperreaper
07-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Bronko and the rest of the boys: good luck. Bronko I'll save you some tuna steaks.:kewl:

Bronko
07-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Bronko and the rest of the boys: good luck. Bronko I'll save you some tuna steaks.:kewl:

I told my father about your hot streak last night. He LOVES tuna. So I may have to get a chunk from you. Sounds like there is a lot to go around. :cheers:

MakoMike
07-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Good luck guys, looks the weather on Staurday might be a little lumpy.

thefishingfreak
07-19-2006, 12:39 PM
we canceled...:mad:

there's a tropical depression gunna slam the sharking grounds friday..

good luck if you guys still go... i'd keep an eye on the forcast..:cheers:

FRI
NW WINDS 30 TO 35 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 45 KT...BECOMING SW 15
TO 20 KT IN THE LATE MORNING AND AFTERNOON. SEAS 5 TO 8 FT. HIGHEST
WINDS AND SEAS SE PORTION. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE MORNING...THEN
A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS IN THE AFTERNOON.

FRI NIGHT
SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING W 10 TO 15 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

SAT
NE WINDS 5 TO 10 KT...BECOMING E 10 TO 15 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT.
SEAS 4 TO 6 FT. PATCHY FOG. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS. SHOWERS LIKELY.
VSBY 1 TO 3 NM AFTER MIDNIGHT.

MrHunters
07-19-2006, 12:51 PM
bummer FF... whatcha gonna use all that money your saving for :)

keeperreaper
07-19-2006, 01:39 PM
Bronko there is a great white out off of South Beach. I'm sure it would place. :cheers: Oh yeah they are on the same "endangered "list as those plovers. :jester:

thefishingfreak
07-19-2006, 01:58 PM
bummer FF... whatcha gonna use all that money your saving for :)
fuel for your boat :grins:

http://www.weather.com/newscenter/tropical/?from=wxcenter_news

MrHunters
07-19-2006, 02:19 PM

i'll buy the fuel if you find me some big bass :)

Raider Ronnie
07-19-2006, 04:39 PM

That sucks Mike!!!
The way the weather situation is shaping up a lot of tree huggers will be happy!!! :zup:

Mr. Sandman
07-20-2006, 10:41 AM
Yeah I think a lot of guys are going to blow this on off. Could be a rough one even after it passes for a couple days. The tree huggers will be elated this year. They have been trying to stop this at all costs. I must have gotten 6 flyers in the mail with forms to sent in to the selectmen to stop the tourny this year.

Bronko
07-24-2006, 08:06 AM
We got blown out on Friday, a lot of boats did go out and got knocked around pretty good. We stayed close had a few beers and banged the stripers and blues for a while. We got out early Saturday. Pretty snotty ride out, but once we set up it wasn't to bad, probably 4-6 with the occassional 8 footer mixed in. The conditions were actually really conducive to shark fishing. Nice moving water with strong winds. We had a great drift over some nice structure, had the best looking slick I can remember. I figured we'd have a shot at a big fish, didn't happen. Only had 2 sharks all day... a 7 and 8 footer (both released unharmed). The front that hung around all weekend may have something to do with it... who knows. I think there were only 4 sharks weighed in on Saturday. A lot of boats were skunked. Very rare for this tournament. Still a great time as usual.

likwid
07-24-2006, 08:08 AM
The weather pushed the big big sharks out and deep.

MakoMike
07-24-2006, 09:18 AM
Any thoughts on whether or not the orhanizers should have cancelled the fishing on Friday? BY letting the tournamant go on they puit a lot pressure on Captains whi ordinarily may have opted to stay at the dock.

Mr. Sandman
07-24-2006, 09:51 AM
I know they got a late start which was hampered by that storm on Friday but it is hard to completely cancel an event once the boats start arriving. I think lots of planning is made. But I agree, saftey is most important. I recall a couple tourny's I fished when I was a younger, they would shorten the event to one day but I have not seen it outright canceled. Sat was no picnic either offshore. I was out in my hobicat and my son had the handheld GPS and we hit 24knots!

Speaking of saftey, I had my VHF on in my kitchen on late Saturday afternoon and heard the CG talking about a boat in distress 4.5 mi SW of Nomans, they get an EPIRB distress alert from a boat in the tourny. I didn't get the details because I was headed out to dinner with some guests but did anyone hear of a problem this weekend?

MakoMike
07-24-2006, 10:45 AM
I understand the angst the organizers must go through when the wether turns crappy. OTOH, the organizers of the Mid_atlantic tuna tournament, which was also scheduled for this weekend, wound up cancelling the event due to the weather. I know there are no easy answers when this kind of thing happens, but I am just kind of wondering out loud if the Boston Big Game Club even comtemplated making a one day event or cancelling entirely. Most tournies have a rule to the effect that prizes will be awarded by a raffle if the weather is too gruesome to fish.

Rip Runner
07-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Boston Big Game pushed off the weigh in by 2 hours on Friday to let boats go out later in the AM and let the storm pass. It's up to the individual captain to make the decision to stay at the dock. I fished on a 28 foot boat and although it was rough it wasn't that bad and very fishable.

The EBIRB was set off by a guy on a 31 Yellowfin who's GPS shut off on him and got scared so he set off his EBIRB. A nearby boat towed him in thinking his boat was down and once he saw land he started his own engines and and headed in on his own power......YES he's an idiot and we know all the reasons why.

MakoMike
07-24-2006, 12:14 PM
RR,
"It's up to the individual captain to make the decision to stay at the dock." That goes without saying, but no need to put additional pressure on anyone. Were there many small boats entered? I heard that 3rd place was taken by a 23 or 24 fott boat, that also should be a consideration.

Rip Runner
07-24-2006, 01:04 PM
The event is just too big to reschedule. They would never get all the slips in OB harbor again for another weekend in the summer and re-scheduling the banquet etc...etc....

We passed a 23 foot Pacific with a single Suzuki about 3 miles outside Meskeget Channel and thought he was pushing his luck just a bit. I would have stayed at the dock if I were him.

Bronko
07-24-2006, 01:50 PM
I actually saw that Yellowfin on Saturday morning, and it did extremely well in the conditions. (great looking boat by the way) Blew by us and we were doing 19kts. I am suprised by how many small boats were out there. We saw the chopper fly over as we were heading in.

nightfighter
07-24-2006, 04:12 PM
I think the guy can be prosecuted and fined for setting off the epirb in that circumstance........and he should be

thefishingfreak
07-24-2006, 05:29 PM
http://www.boatshots.com/bostonmonster2004.htm

these are the photos from the chopper. if he flew over you i bet there's a pic of your boat there..

thefishingfreak
07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
uggggghhh
thats 04' if you look you probly find 06':sleeps:

Bronko
07-24-2006, 05:45 PM
I am on the old boat I worked in those pics. This year there was no chopper (or at least it didn't follow us like in years past heading around Wasque). I think the wind might have had something to do with it.

sportsman
07-24-2006, 07:02 PM
Hey Freak is your Capt. feeling better now
has the shaking stopped yet?
:nailem: :hidin: ??

thefishingfreak
07-24-2006, 07:16 PM
heeee-heeee...:crying:
big difference between 30' battlewagen and a 60' battlewagen. in 8 foot swell... loaded with champagne glasses,,,, and glass coffee tables. tv's falling over...:bc: oops the fridge just fell over into the convection oven:rotf3:

i bet drifting sideways, up in the bridge 25 feet above the deck would get old pretty quick. if you could even get up there...:hs:

i woulda went but not my call. ohh whell we're 1500 the richer... and no fist fights...

you know me... if the engines ain't barkin' the rev limiter every other wave..
it's no fun:musc:

sportsman
07-24-2006, 07:27 PM
I know I just couldn't help my self. It's all in good fun man.

There was a group of guys in the slip next to us in OB that were from the same marina as John with the Parker up Saco bay. They may want us to go fish with them later in the season. I'll let you know when I know. :kewl:

taJon
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
What won?

MakoMike
07-25-2006, 04:42 PM
High 400s thresher, second was a low 400s thresher

taJon
07-26-2006, 06:58 AM
wow, those are nice but not huge, like last year. do you think the storm scared them away?

MakoMike
07-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Storm kept most boats from running too far. Last year's big tiger was caught out in the canyons.

taJon
07-27-2006, 09:13 AM
ya I remember seeing that in the fisherman mag and on tv. that fish was crazy. Hopefully I can find some on sunday.