View Full Version : Prayers answered?

numbskull
07-18-2006, 07:25 AM
About time.
http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/arumor18.htm

The Dad Fisherman
07-18-2006, 08:01 AM
Once I heard the Word Shark...I wouldn't have put my other leg in that wetsuit.....Not going to dress up like a seal (or Walrus in my Case) and go swimming w/ a great White around

Clogston29
07-18-2006, 08:04 AM
It was only a matter of time. I guess its time to thin out the heard alittle :btu:

Raven
07-18-2006, 08:15 AM
you'd have to convert a flat barge into a huge have a heart trap.

partsjay
07-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Were gonna need a bigger boat!!:bl:

Mike P
07-18-2006, 08:36 AM
You need a lot of prayers, because this is what you're up against:

"Donna Wilcock stood knee-deep in the water on a sandbar as her 9-year-old daughter, Ashley, waded back to her through the small breakers. She had heard about the shark, but didn't tell her daughter.

''She would have felt sorry for the seal,'' she said. Wilcock summers in Chatham, but lives in Virginia and sometimes vacations in Florida where sharks and shark attacks are more common."

Mike P
07-18-2006, 08:37 AM

"Donna Wilcock stood knee-deep in the water on a sandbar as her 9-year-old daughter, Ashley, waded back to her through the small breakers. She had heard about the shark, but didn't tell her daughter.

''She would have felt sorry for the seal,'' she said. Wilcock summers in Chatham, but lives in Virginia and sometimes vacations in Florida where sharks and shark attacks are more common."

Flaptail
07-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Monomoy, the New "Olde Country Buffet" for Great Whites. I luv it, I really do, problem is that fish won't eat for a couple weeks now. Oh well it's a start!

numbskull
07-18-2006, 09:32 AM
"

A seal population attracting big predators to the same waters shared by 9 year old girls will pose some very difficult issues for the Federal agencies protecting marine mammals. We all know their response will initially be to defend the status quo, but the economic ramfications will likely prove severe to communities dependent on their beaches for their livelihood and tax base if, like elsewhere in the world, a large marine mammal population starts predictably attracting great whites year after year. Economic interest drives political will, and political will molds Federal agencies. It won't happen quickly, but if a majority of the local population begin to see the seal population explosion as a real threat to their safety, lifestyle, and income, then some sort of seal population control becomes a much greater possibility than presently exists. Slim chance I agree, but better than nothing which is what we have now.

Sluggoslinger
07-18-2006, 10:34 AM
I don't think we need to worry about people getting eaten just yet. They will never get that hungry if they have a seal buffet out there. I think we'll need to worry if the spot attracts enough sharks that the seal population is affected. It is doubtful that it will though.

I would do anything to be out there and watch them chow down on the cute little seals.

Karl F
07-18-2006, 10:56 AM
numbskull, you said it.

like my friend in the landscape business, when people call him about their "skunk problem" with the lawn... he has to explain, no, not a skunk issue, you have a "grub problem"..

we don't have a shark problem... we have a seal problem... time to deal with it. (I hope!)

gone fishin
07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I wonder how many great whites will it take to clean up Monomoy ???
Here sharky sharky :fishslap: :fishslap:

macojoe
07-18-2006, 11:01 PM
No great white has ever been hooked in the 19 years of the Martha's Vineyard shark fishing tournament, with more than 200 vessels participating each year.

Tell them to move were the seals are!! They will be getting them there all the time now that we have 6000 seals!!

Seals, Plovers, Coyote's ...........Whats next??

Sluggoslinger
07-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Here is another report of one a while ago. I don't know how much I buy into the story though...

http://www.capefishingcharters.com/shark.html

chuckg
07-19-2006, 03:28 PM
Can we petition the state to invest in a Great White stocking program. It could open up another tourism attraction and control the seal population, a two for one initiative...

Newboater
07-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Today on the Piscataqua River in New Hampshire was motoring back to my dock up in Dover. Asked wife if that was a big bird on the rock in the river. She said Yes. Got closer and asked if that was a 'Seal Bird?' Getting more and more seals taking up space around here also.

Sarge