View Full Version : Freedom of speech? Where?

likwid
07-18-2006, 12:23 PM
http://www.codebot.org/articles/?doc=9479

Outlawing Freedom of Speech
visits: 414 | score: 4.3 posted by sysrpl on Friday July 14, 2006 3:45 PM

Before reading the opinion piece below, I'd like you the reader know I am not taking the side of Lebanon in this article. I am only stating my opinion it would be fairer to publicly show the vantage points and arguments of both entities involved in the Israel/Lebabon conflict.

While analyzing the reporting of the current conflict between Israel and Lebanon I was surprised to learn the following fact: The airing of any footage from Lebanese television networks in the United States is a crime. Contravening free-speech and free-press rights, American broadcasters are prohibited from showing footage of the Lebanese Al-Manar satellite television network. Al-Manar, a news organization, represents the voice of Lebanon; a voice which some might argue is important to hear from during this period.

It's reasonable to me that news networks should be allowed to air portions of Al-Manar news. Currently they cannot. Both CNN and FOX News have stated they are restricted by U.S. law from airing footage coming from Lebanese news.

One gets the distinct impression that this sort of thing would be unconstitutional ...

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Researching the facts further I found George Bush categorized this form of speech a crime when he signed into law Executive Order 13224. On March 23, 2006 the United States Treasury folded to pressure asserted by Bush's order, adding the Al-Manar television network to the Terrorism Exclusion List. This move prohibits U.S. citizens acessing Lebanese radio and television news outlets.

It would seem George Bush has decided the American people are incapable of independent thought, banning the speech we might be unable to resist. Is our American position so weak that it cannot withstand the voice of the enemy? Who can disagree with that logic?

RIJIMMY
07-18-2006, 12:31 PM
always another side to the story.....

U.S. Designates Al-Manar as a Specially Designated Global
Terrorist Entity
Television Station is Arm of Hizballah Terrorist Network

The U.S. Department of the Treasury today designated pursuant to Executive Order 13224 al Manar, a satellite television operation owned or controlled by the Iran-funded Hizballah terrorist network. Additionally designated today were al Nour Radio and the Lebanese Media Group, the parent company to both al Manar and al Nour Radio.

Al Manar and al Nour

Al Manar and al Nour are the media arms of the Hizballah terrorist network and have facilitated Hizballah's activities.

"Any entity maintained by a terrorist group – whether masquerading as a charity, a business, or a media outlet – is as culpable as the terrorist group itself," said Stuart Levey, Treasury Under Secretary for Terrorism and Financial Intelligence.

Al Manar has employed multiple Hizballah members. One al Manar employee engaged in pre-operational surveillance for Hizballah operations under cover of employment by al Manar.

Al Manar and al Nour have supported fundraising and recruitment efforts by Hizballah. Al Manar raised funds for Hizballah through advertisements broadcast on the network and an accompanying website that requested donations for the terrorist organization. As recently as late 2005, Hizballah-affiliated charities aired commercials on al Manar, providing contact information and bank account numbers for donations. Moreover, Hizballah Secretary General Nasrallah publicized an invitation for all Lebanese citizens to volunteer for Hizballah military training on al Manar and al Nour.

In addition to supporting Hizballah, al Manar has also provided support to other designated Palestinian terrorist organizations, including the Palestinian Islamic Jihad (PIJ) and al Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, notably transferring tens of thousands of dollars for a PIJ-controlled charity. PIJ is listed as a Specially Designated Global Terrorist and a Foreign Terrorist Organization by the U.S. Government, and is also named on the European Union's list of terrorist entities.

Hizballah Secretary General Hasan Nasrallah, along with Hizballah's Executive Council, managed and oversaw the budgets of al Manar and al Nour.

likwid
07-18-2006, 12:42 PM
And Hezbollah is listed as a "terrorist organization" that builds schools, hospitals, and the Lebanese will NEVER give them up or try to kick them out.

Considering the militant wing and the political wing have very little to do with each other its easy to pull the fleece over people's heads who've never bothered to research anything.

Pick up a copy of Robert Young Pelton's Dangerous Places.

spence
07-18-2006, 12:46 PM
And Hezbollah is listed as a "terrorist organization" that builds schools, hospitals, and the Lebanese will NEVER give them up or try to kick them out.
Unless the Government could manage to provide schools and hospitals. Then perhaps they wouldn't need them?

You want to remove Hizbolla? Send in UN troops to seal the border with Syria, sign a non-agression pack with Israel and give the Lebanese PM a fat free trade agreement with the USA.

Soon there will be a Starbucks on every street corner, the people won't tolerate terrorisim as it will impeed their daily double mocha latte :)

-spence

likwid
07-18-2006, 12:49 PM
But the Lebanese government just falls on Hizbollah to do that for them.
They're corrupt and waste money while someone else is left to pick up the pieces.

Here's some more atrocities of the day:

http://sabbah.biz/mt/archives/2006/07/17/photo-of-the-day-israeli-kids-sends-gifts-of-love-to-arab-kids/

Israeli children signing bombs headed to Lebanon. :mad:

RIJIMMY
07-18-2006, 12:56 PM

Considering the militant wing and the political wing have very little to do with each other its easy to pull the fleece over people's heads who've never bothered to research anything.

Pick up a copy of Robert Young Pelton's Dangerous Places.

You cant forget these guys need to play politics too. Isreals pullout of gaza took away the rallying point for a lot of the anti-Isreal groups. Hezbollah does not want to become a political party, they want to remain a military force. That may explain the foray into Isreal. Get them the attention and press they want, and makes Isreal once again look like the aggressor. I heard an awesome piece on NPR yesterday about Hezzbolah. These are smart guys and are trying to remain legitimate while the world may be truning against them. I hear so much about the "moderate" muslims that are against terrorsim, i dont understand why they do not have a voice. There may come a time when countries like Lebanon wont allow these groups.

RIJIMMY
07-18-2006, 01:06 PM
I have no problem with the isreali kids on the bombs.
those kids ride buses that terrorsts blow up. Those kids are targets.
Those bombss are targeting Hezbollah missle stock piles and hdqtrs. I hope they hit their mark...hard.

spence
07-18-2006, 01:17 PM
But the Lebanese government just falls on Hizbollah to do that for them.
Not really...the Lebanese Government has made some good progress of late. The problem is the PM simply doesn't have the resources to flush Hizbolla from the system.

Oh, and he'd be dead within the week...just like his predecessor.

-spence

likwid
07-18-2006, 02:10 PM
nevermind.

biting my tongue.

likwid
07-18-2006, 02:12 PM
I hear so much about the "moderate" muslims that are against terrorsim, i dont understand why they do not have a voice. There may come a time when countries like Lebanon wont allow these groups.

Because the many that want to just live their lives happily and just do their own thing have nowhere near the voice the few with bombs and guns have.

We hear about Earth Liberation Front burning Hummer Dealerships and Ski Resorts down.

Have you ever heard of Complacent and their political movement?
I didn't think so.

likwid
07-18-2006, 02:21 PM
overboard, that pic is in such poor taste..........................

along with the statement it was in reference to.

i had the sense to remove mine.

reelecstasy
07-18-2006, 02:27 PM
agreed, thank you

Skitterpop
07-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Oh, and he'd be dead within the week...just like his predecessor.

-spence

Less than a week....

Skitterpop
07-20-2006, 08:50 AM
What they cannot do or are allowed to do is very telling.

And the slants....

How do like this one? In response to much negative commentary about the lack of urgency evacuating Americans in Lebanon.

BEIRUT, Lebanon (CNN) -- U.S. Marines poured off military ships Thursday to help rescue Americans from Lebanon.
Some 40 Marines helped families, children in strollers, tourists and the elderly onto landing craft to whisk them to a warship off the coast of Beirut.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Poured implies a deluge of perhaps thousands of Marines... Forty is actually one raindrop that evaporates before it can quench.

spence
07-20-2006, 09:00 AM
Well "pour" in this case was like a little stream of Turkish coffee :hihi:

-spence

Skip N
07-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Speaking of the media during this conflict, I really like Nic Robertson from CNN getting a personal tour from members of Hezbalah of some of the damage in Lebanon. Hezbalah so used CNN and got some good propagana points from that piece. If i had to hear that Hezbalah terroist say "look Israel is only targeting our children" one more time i was gonna puke. And of course Robertson never called him out on anything.

Maybe CNN will get a tour from Al Qeada in Iraq, and kiss thier ass too :hs:

spence
07-20-2006, 09:34 AM
And of course Robertson never called him out on anything.
Skippy, a good rule of thumb is to not insult your terrorist tour guide :kewl:

-spence

Skip N
07-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Skippy, a good rule of thumb is to not insult your terrorist tour guide :kewl:

-spence

This is true

likwid
07-20-2006, 10:46 AM
If i had to hear that Hezbalah terroist say "look Israel is only targeting our children" one more time i was gonna puke. And of course Robertson never called him out on anything.

Robertson never called him out on it because its whats happening.

http://mazenkerblog.blogspot.com/

Skitterpop
07-20-2006, 10:50 AM
Robertson never called him out on it because its whats happening.

http://mazenkerblog.blogspot.com/

:smash: Israel is only targeting children? Puhleeeese :wavey:

spence
07-20-2006, 11:05 AM
Don't Jews eat children? :think:

-spence

likwid
07-20-2006, 11:15 AM

They're sure as hell making themselves (and US) look bad to the rest of the world.

Oh I forgot, Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks of us. :rolleyes:

Skitterpop
07-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Don't Jews eat children? :think:

-spence

Only once they have kosherfied :hihi:

Skitterpop
07-20-2006, 12:52 PM
They're sure as hell making themselves (and US) look bad to the rest of the world.

Oh I forgot, Americans don't care what the rest of the world thinks of us. :rolleyes:

Take a deep breath and focus before you type , you young and impetuous youth :hee:

Over 30 years ago I hitchhiked in Europe and understand how many people from many different countries view us :conf: luckily I had long platinum blonde hair and fair skin so many thought I was from their countries until we talked.... American???????? Yes I was hatched there :hihi:

Dark Star