View Full Version : So, where are the fish?

Bass Babe
07-19-2006, 09:50 AM
MA DMF's been working on some studies about SB forage species, temperature preferences, etc. The results should help answer the question of where the fish are, and help us predict where they will be. There is a report on SB food habits that could really help in choosing what lure or bait of what size to use in what area at what time in the target of a certain size fish. Maybe I'm just a geek, but I think that science can really help us in undertsanding what the fish are up to. By keeping abreast with what's happening in the scientific community, we can have an informed position in regards to conservation. By checking the state's population studies, one can tell if there are less fish overall, less big fish, or actually a sustainable number of fish. The species is not currently managed to provide a gigantic population for recreational fisherman, so that we don't have to work hard to catch a fish. While that would be awesome, SB are managed to retain a healthy, sustainable population for every use, but we can work with that. If you want to check out some of the info the MA DMF has on striped bass, here is a good place to start -- http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/programsandprojects/strpbass.htm

MotoXcowboy
07-19-2006, 10:06 AM
HOLY COW...I bet some big bass came in under that school..

Habits
Bluefish inhabit both inshore and offshore areas of coastal regions, with young of the year fish (those in the first year of life), called "snappers", often frequenting estuaries and river mouths.
This species normally travels in large schools, which may contain up to several thousand individuals. One unusually large school sighted in Narragansett Bay in 1901 was estimated to be spread over a 4-5 mile distance.