View Full Version : Don't forget to check your trailer hubs

fishsmith
07-20-2006, 10:32 AM
Trailered from Plymouth to mid-cape yesterday, upon arrival I did the hub check to see if they were hot, well I burned the skin off my finger.
The fishing trip was cut to a couple of hours to make sure we had time to change the bearing. Cape Cod should turn some of the t-shirt shops to trailer parts shops. Bennys and an autoparts shop had enough parts to give it a shot.
The replacement bearing (outer bearing) didn't exatly fit, but the wheel spun freely, wobbly but freely, and since its a tandem trailer, we said a little prayer and headed back.
Stopping frequently to check the bearing things looked good.
Made it home, but I don't think we would of made it much further(see pic).
Moral of the story - fish with mechanically inclined people. :tooth:

MrHunters
07-20-2006, 10:43 AM
lookie all that grease spinning around... you could almost call it "art" :)
glad you made it.. good thing it was tandem.

Roger
07-20-2006, 10:50 AM
You might want to consider keeping a spare hub assembly. They're only $30-$40 and are easy to change without much mess when traveling.

UserRemoved1
07-20-2006, 11:43 AM
lost two in one day. Never felt anything and when I got to DD at 4:30am one day I had almost lost one wheel. Thank God for dremel tools and whizzer wheels I had to take the races off the spindle at the ramp they were welded on it got so hot. I always carry a spare, had the wife come down with another that morning while we went out and fished. Now I carry two complete hubs and spares of every part. American/Karavan trailers suck. I've put $3k into this trailer it's 4 years old and a new trailer is cheaper than that. Cheap bearings, cheap axles, cheap cheap cheap. Never buy another again. Next time it's a tri axle aluminum trailer.

Bonefish
07-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Speaking of trailers..Does anyone know of a good place to bring your trailer for repairs? Hopefully around Boston.

MrHunters
07-20-2006, 01:12 PM
there is a place in Danvers called....errr..the trailer stop or something like that. All they do is trailer stuff... let me see if i can find the name for you.

MrHunters
07-20-2006, 01:20 PM
close

http://www.google.com/local?f=q&hl=en&sll=39.164141,-95.712891&sspn=46.030872,82.441406&q=danvers+ma,+trailer+store&ie=UTF8&latlng=42575000,-70930556,8341862303357048232

Trailer Shop
(978) 750-6799
87 High St
Danvers, MA 01923

went there once for some stuff.... very nice people.. family business.

Bigcat
07-20-2006, 01:48 PM
Every half dozen splashes I pump new grease in. I carry spare Bearings and seals.
I have never had a problem,but I don't tow far :D

MrHunters
07-20-2006, 01:58 PM
does anyone know any good sites on trailer maintenance.

i'd like to do the work myself... but diving into a new ocean here.

likwid
07-20-2006, 02:20 PM
Every half dozen splashes I pump new grease in. I carry spare Bearings and seals.
I have never had a problem,but I don't tow far :D

I don't understand why you use your truck.
You should just get a Kubota tractor and save a few bucks in gas. :jump1:

And SCOTT

triple? not worth the $$

UserRemoved1
07-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Absolutely is and wish i did it when I bought it Ted. Mucho less stress on the hull. I trailer 92 miles each way dood and with the way Mitt plays with the road money 495 is a mess so bad that people get flats every day going south now. Triple axle is to a trailer on potholes what having a longer boat is on short spaced chop in Buzz bay. Ride is much better and much safer. Because the wheels aren't pounding so much there is less wear on the axles and bearings and springs etc. Think loooooong wheeeeeeeeel base dood :grins:

fishsmith
07-20-2006, 03:23 PM
extra set of beaings -- check

Maddog well south of Boston in Pembroke there is Drinkwater Trailer, they sell and repair.

For trailer parts Monahan's in Weymouth has a good stock, plus knowledgable and friendly folks. (a nice tackle shop to)

Mr.Hunters -- i haven't read the whole thing, but this looks legit.

http://www.geocities.com/palmbeachboating/trailer_maintenance_detailed_instructions.html

UserRemoved1
07-20-2006, 03:48 PM
There's a guy in Falmouth that stocks a ton of stuff too. Forget the name but Bigcat can tell you.

stiff tip
07-20-2006, 04:11 PM
coastline trailer on rt 28 falmouth

missing link
07-20-2006, 05:44 PM
I have a Karavan bunk tandem axle , never had a problem, I don't have to travel to far to the ramps but I always check lube and keep my springs lubed along with a Salt A way spray down after every use. Next season I'll change the hubs and maybe brakes it'sin it's 3rd season.
ML SR:walk:

UserRemoved1
07-20-2006, 07:06 PM
I should mention that the trailer has approximately 10,000 miles on it in it's life. That in itself is not alot but pair it with rt 495 and you can multiply that by 10. I do all my own maintanence and keep up on it real good. Have converted the entire trailer to urethane and added 8 extra rollers, added a MUCH larger winch post after mine folded over on the ramp one 5 am morning while launching the boat. OH CRAP was said that day. Brand new trailer not 2 months old too.

Fishsmith the absolute minimum I would and do carry to be self sufficient on a trailer:

Spare brake hub complete with bearings and seals, put a spare cotter pin inside a bag and stick it in the spindle area the grease will hold it in. Omit for single axle trailers.
Complete spare standard hub with bearings and seals same as above.
One complete set of bearings inner and outer with races.
One full tub of marine trailer grease.
Full grease gun and plenty of spare grease tubes.
Screwdrivers big and small.
Bearing punch tool.
Cold chisel.
2 lb hammer.
Plumbers emery cloth in finer grade.
Wire brush
Several pieces of dimensional lumber 2x4/2x6.
Bottle jack
Short length of pipe
12 volt spotlight with long enough cord to be useful.
Spare wire.
Crimpers/marine grade elect terminals.
Scotch 33 tape.
Bungee cords.
Duct tape
Spare tire/s 1 if single axle, 2 if tandem or tri axle
Spare bulbs if you use conv bulbs. I've seen cops down a guy on the spot to fix lights out.
Optional and highly recommended:
Propane Torch
Dremel tool with whizzer wheels/vehicle inverter
Spare trailer u bolts/nuts to fit frame box size

I have a good sized trailer box that is bolted down and keep most of this in there and the rest is in the truck. You should be ready for anything at a moments notice. I trailer overnight so I have to be ready to fix a bearing etc at 2-4 am on the side of the highway. Probably more stuff you could have too and prob forgot something but this is really what I would recommend for someone who trailers on a regular basis or in off hours.

fishaholic18
07-21-2006, 12:13 AM
lost two in one day. Never felt anything and when I got to DD at 4:30am one day I had almost lost one wheel. Thank God for dremel tools and whizzer wheels I had to take the races off the spindle at the ramp they were welded on it got so hot. I always carry a spare, had the wife come down with another that morning while we went out and fished. Now I carry two complete hubs and spares of every part. American/Karavan trailers suck. I've put $3k into this trailer it's 4 years old and a new trailer is cheaper than that. Cheap bearings, cheap axles, cheap cheap cheap. Never buy another again. Next time it's a tri axle aluminum trailer.
Scott, you should consider getting out of boating with your track record.:uhuh: I sold my pig, Thank God....and I haven't had 1/2 your probs, how do ya do it Dude?

UserRemoved1
07-21-2006, 08:44 AM
fish hard deal with all the rest later :wid:

MrHunters
07-21-2006, 09:47 AM

can i ask what brand that is.. so as to stay far away from it in the future.??

UserRemoved1
07-21-2006, 09:53 AM
American Trailer-private label of a Karavan trailer

The old distributor that was owned by Marine USA who did the American stuff folded up and the only guy around who does them now is Roberts out in East Brookfield.