View Full Version : Know Your Enemy ...

Tagger
07-23-2006, 09:04 AM
http://www.seaworld.org/animal-info/info-books/harbor-seal/index.htm
Under senses it says the hearing is great in the water but greatly reduced in the air.. Exlpains them not responding to curse words in thier direction . Feeding Habits says they eat rockfish ? Thats what was squirming in there flippers . Also says they live 25-30 yrs. This is going to get way worse.

Slipknot
07-23-2006, 09:30 AM
:rocketem: :rocketem: bring back the bounty :realmad: :devil: :behead:

justplugit
07-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Good read Eddie. Bounty is the way to go, but when you have people screaming against thinning out the bear and deer population,which are causing untold property damage and auto accident deaths, hell will freeze over before they will allow those cute lill guys poulation being reduced.

NIB
07-23-2006, 10:05 AM
2. Harbor seals were hunted by salmon fishermen because of fishing competition. Hunting was so extensive that many harbor seal populations abandoned traditional haul-out areas.

"uffah!!"
07-23-2006, 10:15 AM
Good read Eddie. Bounty is the way to go, but when you have people screaming against thinning out the bear and deer population,which are causing untold property damage and auto accident deaths, hell will freeze over before they will allow those cute lill guys poulation being reduced.

SEE!, more Democrats at work!!!

Karl F
07-23-2006, 10:26 AM
They will only cry about the deer kill until their shrubbery gets eaten, then they will allow all the deer kill they can..,, that always cracks me up. Or, like the islands, when the Lyme disease takes over, they say come on over and each hunter gets 5!

It will take something that effects the masses.. (hmmm, Great Whites in close to bathing beaches :huh:) to bring back the bounty on seals.. FWS, the State EPO.. they could give two chits for the fishermen, so we will have to wait until it becomes a larger scale issue.
Just think, the SW fishing license issue will be coming up again soon.. any fishing organazations going to bring "Seal Management" into the discussion?.. If I gotta fork over a twenty, or more, I want some seal tags in exchange........

NIB, I handing out Maps to NJ, and fish reports of acres of 30 pound stripers down there, to the Sea Rats.. ;)

Slipknot
07-23-2006, 10:32 AM
good post Karl

how about this for an idea? :D

"2. In 1988, a devastating epizootic (animal equivalent of an epidemic) wiped out more than 18,000 harbor seals throughout northern Europe. The epizootic was caused by a previously undiscovered virus resembling canine distemper. The virus was named phocine distemper virus (PDV). The harbor seals died from the PDV virus itself as well as from secondary viral and bacterial agents."

now where can we get ahold of some of this virus to place on some bait? :devil:

Johneeed
07-23-2006, 11:02 AM
SAVE THE WHALES!!!!!
CLUB A BABY SEAL, POACH A PLOVER....

Karl F
07-23-2006, 11:39 AM
:devil:

http://www.mindspring.com/~sean.hart/seal.html

I felt better after "voting"
:hihi:

lurch
07-23-2006, 11:41 AM
good post Karl

"2. In 1988, a devastating epizootic (animal equivalent of an epidemic) wiped out more than 18,000 harbor seals throughout northern Europe. The epizootic was caused by a previously undiscovered virus resembling canine distemper. The virus was named phocine distemper virus (PDV). The harbor seals died from the PDV virus itself as well as from secondary viral and bacterial agents."

sweet idea :)

Skitterpop
07-23-2006, 11:50 AM
good post Karl

Karl.... I`m not alone in this thinking :smokin:

Raven
07-23-2006, 01:16 PM
that a bunch of fishing boats with sound devices could herd those bastards like cattle...if not keep them a 1/4 mile from your boat.
whether that would scare off the bass too is the question....but it seems like sound is their weakest link and the easiest "silent" deterent.

justplugit
07-23-2006, 02:59 PM
It will take something that effects the masses.. (hmmm, Great Whites in close to bathing beaches :huh:) to bring back the bounty on seals..

Karl, i don't even think shark bites would affect these people. :doh: Two years ago we had a woman killed when a deer went through her wind shield into the car with her kids, and killed her with his thrashing sharp hooves.
The following fall the activists were holding up the "No Deer Hunt" signs on the same road she was killed on. :mad:
Guess they feel it's better for the animal to be maimed and injured by traffic or kill a few more people rather than be shot and feed people, or even the homeless.:confused: :smash:

tattoobob
07-23-2006, 03:10 PM
that a bunch of fishing boats with sound devices could herd those bastards like cattle...if not keep them a 1/4 mile from your boat.
whether that would scare off the bass too is the question....but it seems like sound is their weakest link and the easiest "silent" deterent.

Depth Charges

Squid kids Dad
07-23-2006, 04:28 PM
I bet Mr. Limpett could help...I wish I was a fish...

Tagger
07-23-2006, 04:59 PM
read under behavior how they maintain a distance from each other when on land 3-7 feet.. If one even touches another they have a hissy fit.. Growling and snorting even biting .. women may think there cute .. sound pretty miserable too me .

CANAL RAT
07-23-2006, 05:38 PM
i dont think there should be a free for all on seals there should be seasons and bag limits just like on other game. its tough being a hunter in southern new england every body seems to hate you but when there dog, cat or kid gets eaten by a coyote your there best friend.

fishaholic18
07-23-2006, 05:44 PM
:eek: :shocked:

Slipknot
07-23-2006, 07:40 PM
F-18, just tonight I was discussing those silouette of seals being used to attract great whites.
troll them behind boats and draw them right in to where the food is :rtfm:

Slipknot
07-23-2006, 08:29 PM
Here's a good reason to have a commercial permit for fishing :hihi:

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/interactions/mmap/

incedental catch you say eh? :tooth: :faga: and it could be legal :pop:

hmmmm, get my comm permit, apply for this special permit, 1209, saltiga 6500 loaded with 65 lb braid, 60 lb leader, superglue knots, vmc 6x hooks, 20 to 25 lbs. of drag set, fight of a lifetime from the beach, then retribution. ahhhhh

UserRemoved1
07-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Karl I just voted 37 times
:bgi: