View Full Version : penn 550ssg bail flip mechanism broken?

MrHunters
07-24-2006, 09:30 AM
second question today and that's it i promise :)

Not sure what its actually called either.

after I cast and then start the retrieve the bail flips on the first revolution. This seems to have broken and I don't even hear the click of it trying to flip. Do I need to bring her in for a repair? Or is there something i can adjust/check for/fix myself?

thanks guys.

Slick Moedee
07-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Use the same reel and have gotten into the habit of flipping the bail over myself mannually (I use braid and it minimizes the line twist thus wind knots). Once the lure/chunck hits the water I flip the bail over myself and pull the line tight. Now it is like second nature.

MrHunters
07-24-2006, 09:46 AM
Use the same reel and have gotten into the habit of flipping the bail over myself mannually (I use braid and it minimizes the line twist thus wind knots). Once the lure/chunck hits the water I flip the bail over myself and pull the line tight. Now it is like second nature.

you saying this is common problem, and something that probably shouldn't worry about?

i use braid as well.. big difference than mono on this reel.

Slick Moedee
07-24-2006, 10:22 AM
I would say fairly common. In speaking with the folks up at Surfland, they mentioned that the repeated automatic flip-over due to reeling can eventually affect the antireverse pin, causing it to fail as well. I just found it easier to eliminate any issue by flipping the bail myself. At lease until I get my VS, then there won't be a bail to worry about.

MrHunters
07-24-2006, 10:29 AM
I would say fairly common. In speaking with the folks up at Surfland, they mentioned that the repeated automatic flip-over due to reeling can eventually affect the antireverse pin, causing it to fail as well. I just found it easier to eliminate any issue by flipping the bail myself. At lease until I get my VS, then there won't be a bail to worry about.

thats interesting and good to know. curious as to why that is.
must stress it out with the extra torque given on the first rev or something??

thefishingfreak
07-24-2006, 07:28 PM
take it appart and find out why. pennparts.com has all the parts and schematics you need.
i'd have to look,, but there's a little spring under a chrome plate on the side probly either broke or filled with gunk...

MrHunters
08-03-2006, 09:55 AM
take it appart and find out why. pennparts.com has all the parts and schematics you need.
i'd have to look,, but there's a little spring under a chrome plate on the side probly either broke or filled with gunk...

you are exactly right FF,
last night i decided to take it apart, even though i envisioned it exploding on me when I unscrewed the final screw.... wasnt that bad.

took the chrome plate off, took the bail off, cleaned out where the spring sat...put it all back together and magically it started working again... glad i didnt bring it to the repair shop for that.

good call sir!:bgi:

Skitterpop
08-03-2006, 11:23 AM
sometimes the screw will loosen and the spring gets misaligned as well.

baldwin
08-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Bail-less is the only way to go

MrHunters
08-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Bail-less is the only way to go

but i like my penn 550ssg's :wave:

PI guy
08-03-2006, 04:16 PM
but i like my penn 550ssg's :wave:

Good man!