View Full Version : Ready to start bird hunting again

MAC
07-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Yesterday morning I was headed out to the garage before work to take a few plugs out of sealer. When I rounded the corner of the house I see a Blue Heron taking off. Today my grandfather goes out to feed the goldfish and they are gone. That bastage ate them all. (there were between 40 and 50 of them in the goldfish pond):liquify:

BigFish
07-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Put some of your plugs in the pond....bye bye birdie!:eek:

chris L
07-26-2006, 04:53 PM
well they found the mother load and will keep coming back . so either net the pond or forget goldfish .

its kinda like seagulls eating rabbits , thats the way the world goes round . LOL

but boy was that a costly lunch

nightfighter
07-27-2006, 03:42 AM
get your grandfather a wrist rocket!

Nebe
07-27-2006, 08:34 AM
blue heron as subtle flavors quite unlike white heron. :D

Raven
07-27-2006, 12:14 PM
it goes well with grey poupon.

basswipe
07-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Mac are you sure all the fish are gone?

I had the same problem and thought ALL my fish were gone too.Come to find out even some of the biggest koi/goldfish can hide in the smallest crevices.Out of about 30 fish we had more than half were still alive after our visitation.We've had two large spawns over the past two years that we can't even count how many fish we have.The small guys can really hide.

The sticks with revolving mirrors or fences around the pond just don't work.The only real deterant is hiding places(cinder blocks,milk crates etc.) and lots of floating vegetation.A good criss-crossing pattern of fishing line over the pond is the best deterant but not very asthetically pleasing.

Bass Babe
07-27-2006, 10:09 PM
put something in there thatll bite the heron back. some nice barracuda, or a wolffish, or perhaps an electric eel. very feasible, i know. or just a nice leghold trap baited with a fish... id go with the netting, man. or just a mermaid or something. shed be too big for the heron to eat

Skitterpop
07-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Its likes putting birdseed out and not wanting the birds to eat it ;)

nightfighter
07-29-2006, 04:43 AM
Try a spitter. It works off a motion detector and will give a wet welcome to anything that moves in the area of the pond. Good deterent, find it at fishpond supply store.

In The Surf
07-29-2006, 12:24 PM
Heron MMM tastes like chicken :drool: