View Full Version : help me get big fish

Irek
05-12-2002, 06:58 PM
what the best bait to use to get a big striper write now , have been getting scholies , but looking for biger fish , can anyone help me ?fishin of the rocks , should i try live bait , like eels or what do you suggest ? would like to know? ,are the big fish here yet ?and how can i get some of them ? any info would help . i'm in NEWPORT RI. here of lots of good places to fish but haven't found any yet , your respondence will help me alot , thanks in advance

Fisherwoman
05-12-2002, 08:47 PM
Irek, you are in a good location and if you are picking up schoolies there should be some biger fishing maybe lurking under them, try fishing a little late night action slinging some eels, or get a permit and take some herring out and use them dead or alive.

Irek
05-12-2002, 10:07 PM
Fisherwomen ,hope these will do.Thank you for advice, will try this way.
But since they look kinda big to me,should I hook them whole?http://striped-bass.com/images/herring_irek.jpg

bloocrab
05-13-2002, 02:20 AM
Whole?......yes, especially if you can keep them alive. If they're dead, you may chunk them, but don't be afraid to throw them on whole,... in a rip or current...and twitch them in the rip imitating an injured Herring. Fresh dead herrring still rule...over frozen. Just twitch, and wait for the bumps.....:D

P.S. If you plan on hooking them whole (dead) ..hook them thru the eyes or nose. That way, as you twitch them.....they'll be twitching in the right direction.....;)

....you're gonna be surprised at the size of the fish you'll hook, using them whole.....a 24" schoolie will inhale a 12" Herring...its NUTZ!!!...so imagine how a 24 POUND Striper looks at that herring...:)

....but if you can keep them alive.....:eek: WATCH OUT!!!:happy:

...ya can't beat LIVE BAIT!!....

...and as far as......"are the big fish here yet?"

....if they're catching LARGE fish in South County...and they're catching LARGE fish in the Canal....we're smack dab in the middle....you figure out the rest.....;)

....at any given time......BAMM!!

JohnR
05-13-2002, 07:41 AM
Irek, you would be better off fishing those live. Look for a spot that has ledges and moving water next to deep water - I don't fish Newport so I really can't tell you where to go ....

Also - the Limit of herring is 24 on Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat - no herring on sun - mon- tues...

bloocrab
05-13-2002, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by John R
Also - the Limit of herring is 24 on Wed/Thurs/Fri/Sat - no herring on sun - mon- tues...

....He's right Irek, that would be breaking the law....just like driving OVER 65 Mph....when the sign is posted ...65 MPH....right JohnR?.....:D;)

Scotch Bonnet
05-13-2002, 04:04 PM
AAAHHRRR, Herring Pirates........

bloocrab
05-13-2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Scotch Bonnet
AAAHHRRR, Herring Pirates........

WHERE??? ....OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek::behead:

Scotch Bonnet
05-13-2002, 07:02 PM
The lookout, the netman, the waterman, the mule, and the getaway driver. What are we robbing banks or catching Stripers????