View Full Version : Help with Wireless Network

John E
07-27-2006, 02:55 PM
I currently have a desktop set up with a cable modem and would like to get the wife a laptop. Is it possible to have a wireless router setup that would allow her to access the internet without having the desktop on or would I need to set up the desktop as a server? If you haven't guessed, I'm completely clueless about this.

StripinLine
07-27-2006, 05:28 PM
cable to modem modem to wireless router ( be sure to get ethernet+wireless router) your desktop ethernet to router and her laptop conects to home network and internet wirelessly...

BTW: I use a linksys broadband wireless router. works fine for me..

Katie
07-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Well you need a router to hook up to the cable modem so the signal gets transmitted, and then for the laptop you'll need a network card, that will let the computer pick up the signal from the router.

EricW
07-27-2006, 09:07 PM
If you do set up a wireless router, be sure to set up wep or better wpa encryption, hide your ssid,and you may even want to restrict the the router to only talk to the MAC address on your wife's wireless card. I hope that wasn't to technical, I think I got them all, (been a long day). Detailed instructions for doing that should be on a pdf on a cd or maybe a manual, that comes with the router. You can also google "home wireless security" or "home wireless setup", and you will find tons of info. Otherwise Out of the box it will work great windows will find your wireless network connect right up to it and you are good to go. Only problem is that anyone else that comes along your neighborhood can get on your network and possibly do harm or the very least get free internet access from you.

Eric

pops
07-31-2006, 10:27 PM
mac has airport base stations [routers] that can be password accessed only and encrypted....I use it for a lap top, get an airport card and set the computer web~network up as airport and hey presto....
you can wire directly to it as a simple junction and have it act as a wireless as well to another computer