View Full Version : Doubleheader!?!?!

bud8fan
05-12-2002, 09:34 PM
I had a first for me happen today. I decided to put on the waders and try my luck at a so called local hotspot this time of the year. I started out with a swimmer with no takers, went to plastic and caught a few very small schoolies. I figured what the heck and tied on a 2 oz popper(my leader already had a dropper on it). I made a few casts and finally got a taker! While fighting the fish it all of a sudden became heavier! Well to my surprise I had a 4lb bluefish on the popper and a 20" schoolie on the teaser! I was a neat deal!! How common is this for you guy's?

Oh by the way the good fish got away!! Figure's!!!

JohnR
05-13-2002, 08:49 AM
Bud - that can be fairly common when running a lure/teaser combo... Also, remember that you won't always get doubles but the teaser can make the lure more effective at times and vice-versa.

Blitzseeker
05-13-2002, 11:40 AM
I agree that doubleheaders are common...I've had plenty...but I must say that I've never had a mixed doubleheader like that with one bass and one bluefish. I've also never seen anyone I fish with have a doubleheader like that.

Has anyone else ever had that happen before? Mine have always been two bass or two blues..never one of each.

Tattoo
05-13-2002, 11:53 AM
How about this one.....

Opening Day, My buddy and I are on opposites ends of the trout pool, we caught the same fish at the same time, both lures caught in the fishes mouth, one up top, one on the bottom.

:smash:

schoolie monster
05-13-2002, 12:08 PM
Now that the question comes up...

Last September I was out getting a mixture of bass and blues. It was mostly bass and I was fishing slug-o's (minor investment) so I stuck with mono leader. I'd get into blues from time to time and I'd pick up a rod I had rigged with a ranger and wire leader.

I was chasing breaking fish and birds and one time when the fish were a pretty far cast from the boat, I picked up my popper rod (w/teaser). After some major blow-ups, I was on. It just felt funny for a few moments, then I fought and landed a schoolie... minus my popper. He was on the teaser.

I had been peeled by bluefish on a couple lures and slug-o's during the day, so I figured it had been a blue.

So... I might have had a combo on for a little bit. But I've never seen the combo landed. I'd bet BC and FW have had 'em over the years as they are religious about using the teasers.

Clammer
05-13-2002, 12:25 PM
:smash:

Ok so you may not believe it , but twice [not once] i have caught a nd landed two fish on the same plug, both times it was a popper , one ----- two schoolies, the other , a schoolie and a blue/// go figure

in the eelgrass tonite //////////:laughs:

JohnR
05-13-2002, 01:02 PM
I've had bass & blues several times and bass on one and shad on the other too a few times as well. Not frequent but I don't consider it unusual - probably happens to me half a dozen times a year...

AnthonyN
05-13-2002, 01:15 PM
I have had that happen to me a couple of times with blue fish though using plugs. Never did see a blue/striper combo though...

Mal Greene
05-13-2002, 03:27 PM
I caught two largemouths at the same time on one plug. The first fish hit the front of the plug and the second got hooked by the rear trebles when he tried to steal the plug from the first bass.Teach him to be a thief.:D
Mal

Fisherwoman
05-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Bud8fan,

BC & I have taken many doubles of blues and bass together, we even did a little bit of videoing of BC with a bass and blue double last year. I think it would depend on how many fish are around usually the bass and blues when we get doubles of them together are usually around the same size. So no this is not uncommon, go get um!!!