07-28-2006, 11:08 AM
whom did it offend?:devil2:

RIJIMMY
07-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Friends of the pogies?

FishinRay
07-28-2006, 11:18 AM
Wow,

Taken completely off the board?!?!?!:smash: :crying: ;)

spence
07-28-2006, 11:18 AM
That's it...once more outburst and I'm disclosing the TOPSECRET "3 way Rig" full and uncensored :wid:

-spence

Slipknot
07-28-2006, 11:29 AM
you want it back up?

capesams
07-28-2006, 11:41 AM
sure thing....I missed all the name calling,,,naked ladies and burned spots.....'that was a good thread.':uhuh:

BigBo
07-28-2006, 11:44 AM
See? I told ya this stuff happens everytime the subject comes up.:huh:

Mike P
07-28-2006, 11:50 AM
whom did it offend?:devil2:

I don't get it. Your original post complained that it was "unethical" and questioned the legaility of it, and now you're bitching because someone (and not me) removed it :confused:

You want it back up or not? All it takes is one mouse click.

RIJIMMY
07-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Mike, I think Sandman was just inquiring, not saying it was unethical. I belevie it was more of searching for info.

Slipknot
07-28-2006, 12:30 PM
maybe there is a good reason there is not much info about it on the internet.

Mike P
07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Mike, I think Sandman was just inquiring, not saying it was unethical. I belevie it was more of searching for info.

Maybe I have a problem with reading comprehension, then :huh:

QUOTE=Mr. Sandman]He was fishing with scup near the comm fleet and picked up a decent fish with a buldging belly. Inside was a partially digested stapled up baitfish that looked like a bunker and a large lead weight inside the bait fish.

Isn't this both an unethical and non- legal way to fish for bass? Is there really a law that says you can't yo-yo for bass?[/QUOTE]

RIJIMMY
07-28-2006, 01:43 PM
you lawyers...

the first few words are the key

"Isnt it"

looks like a question to me.

Mike P
07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Maybe, but it's what we lawyers call a leading question ;) One that's framed to get the answer you're looking for.

Mr. Sandman
07-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Well, that is what I said. And the reason it was framed like that was: (particularly the "ethics" comment) because I know some contests and tourneys specifically disallow fishing with lead inserted in baitfish. I never understood the full reason other then perhaps it could cause lead poisoning in the larger fish if it were to somehow digest this thing. The unlawful comment seemed to follow similar reasoning. In addition, this method always has had some "dark or bad-boy aura" to it. Most have heard about it or read about it but only "pin hookers", "commercials" and "pros" know how to do it and therefore we don't want to discuss it. Heck it is discussed in this weeks OTW report…yo-yoing scup for bass in Quicks.
When my buddy got one and was telling me about the stapled up baitfish with weight, I figured now would be a good time to delve into this with you guys. It has always intrigued me why it is a "black" method of fishing. It is like you have to be in a secret club to find out the details.

It is good to “stir the pot” now and again, it gets all the crud off the bottom :tooth:

I didn't mean any harm nor did I want to expose someones personal secret method that he has shared with a few close friends but this yo-yo method has been around a while and if it is "outlawed" by tourneys then someone else has to know about it.

thefishingfreak
07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
shoot me an email i'll show you :cputin:

clambelly
07-28-2006, 03:51 PM
It has always intrigued me why it is a "black" method of fishing. It is like you have to be in a secret club to find out the details.

i would guess the reason is b/c the method is so successful. no one is obligated to share their secrets. it just so happens that most of the guys who are really good at it are commercial fisherman who catch a lot of fish. if you know any commercial fisherman, you already know they are probably super secretive about their business. i know i am. i don't run around telling people the best way or the best spot to dig up a basket of clams.

anyways, the point is, to me its just like anything else in this sport: you gotta put in your time. no one is gonna hand you the key to success. hints and nudges are fine by me.

WannaBeInAParker
07-28-2006, 03:59 PM
i would guess the reason is b/c the method is so successful. no one is obligated to share their secrets.

I guarantee that no one posted that wanted to protect their secrets, if they did, first shame on you, second delete your own post. There is no obligation to post, no gun to the head, people that want to, did. You cannot tell me that these guys all figured it out on their own, you pick up tidbits here and there.

Besides the obvious answer of not letting the cat out of the bag, can someone please explain why the thread was removed? I have been searching through the site for the possible reasons for post removal and did not see how that post qualified.

-WannaBe-

UserRemoved1
07-28-2006, 04:19 PM
darn i missed all the good stuff

:read::rotf2:

stiff tip
07-28-2006, 05:11 PM
ship...i missed the great yo yo yo yo yo secret .....but 15 yrs ago some ri boys taught me n my live bait boys , how to be humble..so i remember.....they came across from new beff n fished ven-yard sound from the brick yard to bull bell robbinson to quicks n out to nomands.. thay got soooo good that a epo i know boarded the boat to check there catch n get a look at the poop ..at the brick yard in 25 ft of water i snaged there rig n got a look at the bait ...... if u remember pogies were hard to find in the sound. but not ri ....so with a 12in woodin bbq squier, 4to 6in of rebar or lead 2to8 ozs ,n tie wire ,to keep the mouth n gills shut u make magic..there r a few steps i left out hook placement , xtra scents..and o ya u gotter be where the fish are and KNOW how to yo yo your rod ......thats it ,,,to bad if you dont believe me .. or ask pogie mike or stanly or the other high guns...they were there tooooo.. i,m gettin to old to take it seriously any more ........not in the grave yet ....dave

lurch
07-28-2006, 07:12 PM
ROS from hell ;)

ridler72
07-28-2006, 08:37 PM
That's a first for internet fishing forums. Deleting a productive fishing method. Wow. :huh:

Fish_Eye
07-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Hi Sandman,

In an old issue of OTW you'll find an editorial comment on a reader question "What is this in the belly of a striper?" It showed pictures of the steel rods and lead weights (some 10 or 12 of them in just one striper) that baffled the OTW reader.

I know the finer points of the technique and would never devulge them...first out of respect for the person who passed on the info (a commercial hi-hook) and secondly, I don't believe it's a proper technique for catching stripers...too many fish ingest lead and that's not a healthy fish to eat in the long run.

Furthermore, some poor angler will weigh in a fish at either the Derby, The OTW event, an ASA tourney or FLW event and will likely be looked at as a cheat. I know a half dozen fisherman that have zipped opened fish full of junk. In the old days (early 70's) it involved spark plugs and coat hangers...I'll leave it at that.

Mike P
07-28-2006, 09:32 PM
In the old days (early 70's) it involved spark plugs and coat hangers...I'll leave it at that.

Exactly. Yo-yoing has been around at least since then. It's even written about in Bob Post's Reading the Water. Al Rheinfelder, the Al part of Alou Eels, was one of the early practitioners. He's reputed to have said that he hoped God would forgive him for doing it.

NIB
07-28-2006, 10:36 PM
How did Al die.I read somewhere he was young.
Where can I find his book "The Art of fishing Bait Tails."

NIB
07-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Yo Yo's?
I had a few killer Duncans when I was a kid.
I could walk the dog like nobody's bizness.

Squibby17
07-28-2006, 11:36 PM
i was reading the derby rules the other day and they mention how "yo yoing" is illegal and I had no idea what that ment I guess now I know

mrmacey
07-29-2006, 05:23 AM
Yo-Yo Fishing it seems pretty hard to do out in the ocean!

“Yo-yoing” is a high-tech method of limblining. A yo-yo is an automatic reel consisting of a stainless-steel spring encased in a sheet-metal disk (about the diameter of a doughnut). This device has a line attached to its topside for tying to a springy green limb, which suspends the yo-yo reel above the water’s surface.

Inside the yo-yo mechanism are several feet of strong nylon line wrapped around the spring. The end of this line dangles from the bottom of the yo-yo. A snap swivel is tied to the end. A 1/0 to 3/0 hook (attached to the line via the snap swivel) and one or two split-shot weights complete the rig.

After the yo-yo is tied to a limb, the hook is baited and enough line is pulled off the reel to lower the bait two or three feet beneath the surface. As the line is pulled off the reel, the spring coils tighter. Once the desired length is extended, a small wire trigger on the side of the reel is set to keep the line in place. When a fish takes the bait it trips the trigger and the reel uncoils quickly to set the hook.

The best strategy for yo-yos is to scatter two dozen or more along a tree- or brush-lined river or lakeshore. Set the devices at dusk, then run them periodically through the night or at first light in the morning.

As is the case with limblines, yo-yos can be rigged with monofilament leaders and smaller hooks to catch bluegills and crappies—but be sure that it is a legal fishing method for those species in the state in which you fish. Bait with wigglers, catalpa worms or crickets for bluegills, and small live minnows for

Mike P
07-29-2006, 07:14 AM
How did Al die.I read somewhere he was young.
Where can I find his book "The Art of fishing Bait Tails."

Somewhere in the back of my head, it says he drowned, but I may be confusing him with Jack "The Professor" Frech :confused:

BigFish
07-29-2006, 08:22 AM
I guess to "Yo-Yo" is a no no!:hihi:

stiff tip
07-29-2006, 12:24 PM
:jump: Yo-Yo Fishing it seems pretty hard to do out in the ocean!

“Yo-yoing” is a high-tech method of limblining. A yo-yo is an automatic reel consisting of a stainless-steel spring encased in a sheet-metal disk (about the diameter of a doughnut). This device has a line attached to its topside for tying to a springy green limb, which suspends the yo-yo reel above the water’s surface.

Inside the yo-yo mechanism are several feet of strong nylon line wrapped around the spring. The end of this line dangles from the bottom of the yo-yo. A snap swivel is tied to the end. A 1/0 to 3/0 hook (attached to the line via the snap swivel) and one or two split-shot weights complete the rig. :jump:

After the yo-yo is tied to a limb, the hook is baited and enough line is pulled off the reel to lower the bait two or three feet beneath the surface. As the line is pulled off the reel, the spring coils tighter. Once the desired length is extended, a small wire trigger on the side of the reel is set to keep the line in place. When a fish takes the bait it trips the trigger and the reel uncoils quickly to set the hook.

The best strategy for yo-yos is to scatter two dozen or more along a tree- or brush-lined river or lakeshore. Set the devices at dusk, then run them periodically through the night or at first light in the morning.

As is the case with limblines, yo-yos can be rigged with monofilament leaders and smaller hooks to catch bluegills and crappies—but be sure that it is a legal fishing method for those species in the state in which you fish. Bait with wigglers, catalpa worms or crickets for bluegills, and small live minnows foryaaaaa thats x-zackly how its donefish w/ pogies for b- gills or crappies ..mm where r u comming from???????

Swimmer
07-29-2006, 04:06 PM
So I haven't been around for a few days. I take it my explanation of "how to yo-yo" was taken off the board. Whats up with that?

mrmacey
07-29-2006, 04:34 PM
there were 40 lines yoyoing of the bottom of a one man boat because there aint no trees out there either I load my sea worms with a piece of styrfoam to keep them up you should see me trying to staple those little suckers up when I load them. 4 hours a dozen I got it down too a T you have to be careful or the staple will break them in half and what a mess!!:yak4:

Swimmer
07-29-2006, 04:39 PM
After you stick the styrofoam in the worms mouth dry its lips with a tissue and use crazyglue to keeps the worms lips shut.:jump:Oh wait thats another technique I shouldn't have posted....

JohnR
07-29-2006, 04:44 PM
So I haven't been around for a few days. I take it my explanation of "how to yo-yo" was taken off the board. Whats up with that?

Uhh, no Frank :spin: , you just forgot where you posted it...

mrmacey
07-29-2006, 05:00 PM
On a squid it dont work!! you need some of that big dig epoxy!!:claps:

Skitterpop
07-29-2006, 06:26 PM
who gives a rhahts arhse :bl2:

Mr. Sandman
07-31-2006, 03:11 PM
Been away for a few days, sorry I missed all the action here on the yoyo matter. Hope it did not get too hostile.

Fisheye, thanks for that explanation.

Moving on....