View Full Version : slipping

zacs
07-31-2006, 09:16 AM
wish i could contribute something. hoping to get out a couple of nights this week.
http://www.onthewater.com/stripercupleaders.html

Mike P
07-31-2006, 10:22 AM
We're two pounds out of third and have a 40 that hasn't gone up yet. The two clubs in first and second are almost exclusively rod and reel commercial boaters.

We're not doing too badly for a pick-up team playing in the bigs, I'd venture to say ;)

zacs
07-31-2006, 11:19 AM
when does comm season end?
i agree, not too shabby.

Mike P
07-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Whenever the quota of 1.1 million pounds is reached. Last time I checked, they were at about 360,000 lbs.

NIB
08-01-2006, 07:38 AM
We're two pounds out of third and have a 40 that hasn't gone up yet. The two clubs in first and second are almost exclusively rod and reel commercial boaters.

We're not doing too badly for a pick-up team playing in the bigs, I'd venture to say ;)

Someone was tellin me of the shaefer tourney.They used to use a point system.
1 for boat
2 for surf

Hey Mike, more than likely there will be one less rock to stand on this weekend.Tides could be later but low tides will give me a few more spots.
It's been 2 yrs an thats just to long.

Mike P
08-01-2006, 08:01 AM
Hey Mike, more than likely there will be one less rock to stand on this weekend.Tides could be later but low tides will give me a few more spots.
It's been 2 yrs an thats just to long.

That's OK, I still have about 999,999 others to choose from ;)

I'll be lookin' for ya. :wave:

NIB
08-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Some might say I take up 2 rocks.
Is that still OK.
:D

Slipknot
08-01-2006, 10:43 AM
NIB, you suk:fishslap:

JohnR
08-01-2006, 12:53 PM

I'd venture you are correct ;)

NIB
08-01-2006, 03:15 PM
NIB, you suk:fishslap:

Thank U.
I think.

Slipknot
08-01-2006, 03:16 PM
teach me to fish like you:tooth:

Mike P
08-01-2006, 03:33 PM
Could be an all-out s-b.com Canal assault on third place this weekend, Slip, and you won't even have to fight seals for anything you hook ;)

NIB
08-01-2006, 05:41 PM
He's Cape bound.I told him i would come up an give him a pencil popper lesson.But I might be fibbing.:D
Maybe he'll let me borrow his reel.:hihi:
He'd get it back like a winch rod.
I would at least have to cut the bail off.

JohnR
08-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Could be an all-out s-b.com Canal assault on third place this weekend, Slip, and you won't even have to fight seals for anything you hook ;)

Tell me what to bring, when, which rock, and howlonga count :tooth:

NIB
08-01-2006, 07:12 PM
Tell me what to bring,:tooth:

Coffe.:hihi:

JohnR
08-02-2006, 08:03 AM
Coffe.:hihi:

Ahhh - you funny bastard.... Seriously - You coming up?

NIB
08-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Tommorrow sometime.I have about 4 hrs of work then I gotta load up the truck an I'm off to beverly.Hopfully it wil be rainin as Chuck B. would say it'll do my engine good.Maybelene.
It's too hot to deal with it now or i would leave right after work I had to cut outside all day today.I needed a mop boy.If u need a image there is only one small piece of clothing on
me as I type this an cool down.So i will probably wait for the rush hr.traffic to subside then go.like 9 pm that i'll get me up there by 2 am.

Mike P
08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I see a new overall leader. I knew Lev Wlodyka when he was a hyperactive 12 year old running back and forth on the Menemsha jetty chasing albies ;)

Mike P
08-07-2006, 01:09 PM
Whoa, where the hell did these guys come from---new leading club. Looks like a "club" that was thrown together by Stevie Morris for commercial season. No fish entered before July 18. I recognize a lot of Vineyarders in there.

CLUB LEADERS: (largest 10 fish)

1. Team #^&#^&#^&#^&'s MA, 442.3 pts.

31-Jul Lev Wlodyka 57.6 lbs.
25-Jul Lev Wlodyka 49.5 lbs.
04-Aug Nick Warburton 46.6 lbs.
03-Aug Morgan Child 44.6 lbs.
07-Aug Alec Gale 44.2 lbs.
27-Jul Greg Tayntor 43.5 lbs.
18-Jul Nick Warburton 43.4 lbs.
07-Aug Rick Sylva 40.5 lbs.
23-Jul Whitney Brush 36.6 lbs.
26-Jul Chris Morris 35.8 lbs.

Averaging close to 45 pounds a fish. Might as well hand them the Cup right now :(

I'm telling you right now--unless they have separate boat/shore divisions and exclude commercially caught fish, they can kiss me good-bye for next year's event.

tattoobob
08-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Me To, I had no idea the com's were aloud in this contest, it is just not fair

JohnR
08-07-2006, 06:17 PM
I think the comms can and should fish it - just not during commercial season - that's one of the things we beyotched about that did not get fixed... So no suprise... I wonder how (if) the sponsors will feel when they find out that "Joe, going to buy a sixpack of Harpoon" is not the "typical" angler that winds up winning these things....

Clammer
08-08-2006, 10:59 PM
John /
how do you fix that

commercial is T,W,T & 5 on Sunday // no problem holding fish /til an off day then selling them <<,

Years ago we all had chest freezers === if things were slow or the price went to %$%$%$%$ ======we would freeze them === take them out the morning we were gonna sell them // run a hose in their mouths // go fishing =====then sell all the fish together /// ya had to be pretty sharp to pickup on the frozen ones ...

Mike P
08-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Can't eliminate it entirely. Hell, I've seen bloofish come into the Vineyard Derby weigh-in with freezer burn :eek:

But unless they give at least the appearance of a level playing field, this tourney is going to be a "one and done". Especially if they can't DQ Major. Which, from what I understand, is going to be very difficult if not impossible. Looks like he's going to skate on the violation---sounds to me like the EPO %$%$%$%$ed up royally. One EPO, at night, alone on rough water, didn't board, no fish or pictures as evidence, and I hear from an OTW staffer Major's still waiting on getting a ticket in the mail.

The other thing I'd like to see is, if you're a tackle shop and a weigh station, and you're sponsoring a team, you can't weigh your members' fish. I know Morris is being extra careful in that regard, but not every tackle shop owner has his integrity--even if he does keep two eel tanks, one for his regulars and one for the tourists :)

JohnR
08-09-2006, 08:26 AM
John /
how do you fix that

commercial is T,W,T & 5 on Sunday // no problem holding fish /til an off day then selling them <<,

Years ago we all had chest freezers === if things were slow or the price went to %$%$%$%$ ======we would freeze them === take them out the morning we were gonna sell them // run a hose in their mouths // go fishing =====then sell all the fish together /// ya had to be pretty sharp to pickup on the frozen ones ...

I know exactly what you mean and that is the hard thing to figure out. Do you only allow weighed in fish from commercial license holders up until Comm season starts and allow it again after it's over? I realize that the days on / off could easily be manipulated.

You know me - I'\m not anti-commercial - but I try to think objectively on what the most fair and even handed a tournament can be for your target audience. When the commercial anglers are not in comm season and are playing by the same rules as the rest of us, then it is a fair game, level playing field, even rules. They will still most likely outfish the rest - and that is fine as it is all even based on the rules.

I don't know why some people think this is about jealousy again. I simply don't see that. It's a numbers excercise - you even out the formula for everyone. Then SKILL will make the difference, and a little luck can play too, but SKILL will be the final factor. That is when the comm guy will outfish the non comm guy, fair & square.

Skitterpop
08-09-2006, 09:26 PM
Whoa, where the hell did these guys come from---new leading club. Looks like a "club" that was thrown together by Stevie Morris for commercial season. No fish entered before July 18. I recognize a lot of Vineyarders in there.

CLUB LEADERS: (largest 10 fish)

1. Team #^&#^&#^&#^&'s MA, 442.3 pts.

31-Jul Lev Wlodyka 57.6 lbs.
25-Jul Lev Wlodyka 49.5 lbs.
04-Aug Nick Warburton 46.6 lbs.
03-Aug Morgan Child 44.6 lbs.
07-Aug Alec Gale 44.2 lbs.
27-Jul Greg Tayntor 43.5 lbs.
18-Jul Nick Warburton 43.4 lbs.
07-Aug Rick Sylva 40.5 lbs.
23-Jul Whitney Brush 36.6 lbs.
26-Jul Chris Morris 35.8 lbs.

Averaging close to 45 pounds a fish. Might as well hand them the Cup right now :(

I'm telling you right now--unless they have separate boat/shore divisions and exclude commercially caught fish, they can kiss me good-bye for next year's event.

Good post Mike.

I`m done already....does`nt taste good...not that I`ve weighed anything in yet anyway....it was my first tourney. If they make changes maybe as an individual next year.

tattoobob
08-09-2006, 09:36 PM
Good post Mike.

I`m done already....does`nt taste good...not that I`ve weighed anything in yet anyway....it was my first tourney.

Me to, probably my last to

Mike P
08-11-2006, 06:02 PM
New standings out today. RISAA pulled another 2-3 points ahead of us. GB OUTDOORS' 40 still hasn't gone up, and I knocked cheferson out of the top 10 for SB. No changes at the top, but Sandwich Yacht Club edged closer to Bass & Brew. Still 17 points behind

Slipknot
08-13-2006, 10:02 AM
Ya, I wonder what's up with Greg's 40 :huh: it's been 2 weeks atleast:whackin:
we should be in 4th

Mike P
08-18-2006, 05:39 PM
Another update today, and Greg's fish still isn't there :doh:

Won't make a difference now---we're 12 points behind RISAA and Greg's only gives us an 8 point bump up. :huh:

We gotta get to work, Slip. I wonder how many points the 6th place club is behind us?

tattoobob
08-18-2006, 06:17 PM
The 3 winning teams are all boat fish, what we need to do is
start fishing hard, the fish are coming back close to shore now
that the Peanut Bunker and Herring are dumping out of the
rivers and estuaries. we have a good chance of catching up
we just have to work for it.

Mike P
08-24-2006, 11:56 AM
Greg's fish still not up---WTF???

Someone from OTW was in Mike's shop, said no slips turned in from Dockside, at all :confused:

Also, latest word is that Major will have to pass a polygraph to be eligible for the truck :huh:

tattoobob
08-24-2006, 04:45 PM
Maybe he should call Dockside to see what is going on with the slips,
and it there is a problem OTW should find another shop in the same area

Mike P
08-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Kind of late now to find another shop, as there's only about 3 weeks left.

tattoobob
08-24-2006, 11:29 PM
I kinda ment next year Mike, I would still give Dockside a call and see what is up

Mike P
09-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Goose's 47 should boost us up a bit.

Hmmmm, seems I was a weekly winner back there in July and didn't even know it ;)

JohnR
09-16-2006, 04:58 PM
Gooses 47, will help

Greg's 40 is up there

Funny thing is that Greg is the only "non-tony" there :hihi:

Last push tonight...