View Full Version : Commercial catch good or bad?

kennebecstriper
08-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Anybody that knows me(or reads my posts) knows my opinion up here in Maine we are affected first by depleted stcks cause we have less to start with. Just want to get a feel for the general fishing addict.
I am one and would like to see the limit set at one a day any size then you are done for the day.

macojoe
08-05-2006, 12:27 PM
I commercial cause I can.
That said if they stopped the commercial tomorrow it would not borther me to much. But I would miss the cash to off set my expenses!

But as a boater, I don't like the idea of one fish. I spend good money on gas and gear and like to bring home a couple at least.

I never have taken a trophy striper of any kind!! I eat or my family and friends eat the fish and none goes to waste!

Im am not saying that stripers are total recovery of yesterday, but when the qouta (1,000,000 pounds) can get caught in 4 weeks there is no shortage eaither.

Well thats my .2 cents

leptar
08-05-2006, 12:49 PM

16650LOL... 1 fish anysize is a joke....

with that said why not just make it a Mon, Tues, Thurs take only with 2 fish... first fish must be larger then 34" but not longer then 40" while the second fish must be larger then 28' but not longer then 30"....

I think thats a fair take limit... screw the weekenders since this is about me, me, me... and only me... i'll vote...

bring back the 1 a day @ 36" and see how many "fishermen" change their tune and go back scup fishing...

As far as commercial fishing goes.. yes it needs stricter regulations but hey who's watching anyways... the recreational? lol thats a joke... the do as i say not as i do hero.... great just what the world needs Team America Fishing Police.

http://www.epicurious.com/images/recipes/recipe_results/thumb/photos/102082.jpg

Sarcasim! Feel The Bite...!

Flaptail
08-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Anybody that knows me(or reads my posts) knows my opinion up here in Maine we are affected first by depleted stcks cause we have less to start with. Just want to get a feel for the general fishing addict.
I am one and would like to see the limit set at one a day any size then you are done for the day.

Again, I implore you to stay out of other states affairs and do not waste our time with your pathetic attempt to start a war on this site.
Your logic, experience and diplomacy are flawed.

Yours truly, Steve Shiraka, Striper fisherman, Falmouth Mass.

Swimmer
08-05-2006, 02:00 PM
That was a little unflappable.....:jump:

kennebecstriper
08-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Not trying to start a war. Just trying to see what other people think.
But staying out of other states affairs? please, stripers are not owned by a state, any activity in one state surely affects the entire fishery.
As far as limits go, I just think that 1M pounds is far too much.

MakoMike
08-06-2006, 11:29 AM
The commercial limit is going to get caught whether its in one day or over a month what's the difference? Remember the commercial limit is in pounds, so if you make them take smaller fish they are going to take more of them (in total).

jkswimmer
08-06-2006, 02:09 PM
I thought this was the WORLD WIDE WEB

Bass Babe
08-06-2006, 04:49 PM
There is no "maine stock", per se, as stripers migrate and members of a stock can be found at different points along the atlantic coast at different times of year. Fisheries managers are trying to maintain the population at healthy, sustainable levels, and if that includes a commercial quota, then it does. There are enough for everybody, which is a rare occurence for a fish species these days. The low number of stripers in Maine is due to the fact that the area is the northern part of its range, and many stripers do not travel up that far and remain in MA, RI, and CT waters in the summer and fall.