View Full Version : Skinz tubes replacement...

leptar
08-06-2006, 09:07 AM
My skinz bag is 2 months old and i now need to replace the tubes because of melting and rubber eels.. My old but gone skinz bag went a season and a half with sluggos, curly tail grubs and storm shads stuffed in the tubes with 0 issues. Glad i noticed it when i did or it would have been worse as there was also good wood in the tubes too... I know someone had posted about replacement tubes in the past but i can't find it...

any info is appreciated.
thanks,
Paul

Redsoxticket
08-06-2006, 09:26 AM
Aquaskinz dealers can order tubes.

CAL
08-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Two months old and they're already junk? For what they cost you'd think they would last. I'd ask Aquaskinz for a free replacement.

Diamond Tackle
08-06-2006, 10:12 AM
I have 2 aquakinz bags and they have served me VERY well.
I dont put plastics in them though without a tube LINER. This also allows me to quickly grab tubes pre loaded with plugs, tins,bucktails or whatever from the milkcrates where I store them .
Dont want to hijack the thread, but consider using a tube liner and it will not react with the plastics u are using. The liners are 8" tall btw, but I dont cut them down as I can still close even the small bag.They are a perfect fit too .

JohnR
08-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Two months old and they're already junk? For what they cost you'd think they would last. I'd ask Aquaskinz for a free replacement.

Cal - its not a really problem with the tubes. I have had other bags do this as well. Some plastics used in soft plastic lures (mass produced and custom) have a chemical reaction with other plastics, like the tubes used in some plug bags. The reaction causes the two different plastics to almost melt/fuse together. Changing some plastic just makes reaction with other plastics.

Diamond Tackle
08-06-2006, 10:29 AM
Some top brand tackle boxes will also react with plastics. Only the ones that say "worm proof" are guarenteed not react and those are specially made for that purpose. Safest bet is to leave plastics(like the storm shads etc) in their original bag & carry them seperately.
This is really not a product failure,as its intended for PLUGS and metals, not plastics, but lets see what Kadir says.

CAL
08-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Still, for what they cost that shouldn't happen. My cheap Plano bag is still going strong after 3-4 years and it's always got rubbah in it.

Maybe 'skinz should use cheaper plastic :jester:

leptar
08-06-2006, 10:46 AM
I really didn't think it would have been an issue especially spending that kind of money.... but neways.. chit happens and first hand experience i guess is well...

I only remember hearing about someone looking for skinz tubes and didn't hear of the outcome... I wasn't looking to start a holy crap batman issue here... I am looking to out right replace the tubes and avoid another experience like this all together...Original rubber bags are great and have used them but become trouble some for me since i already over stuff the bag and then some. I will look into the liners since i will be using wobble heads and rubber again once the blues move out.. but in the mean time i will look into all advise and borrow/use/modify what is said and apply it so it best fits my needs...

Only problem with milk crates is that it's extremely too many plug spots and will cause issues with the wife seeing how each milk crate can easily excede several hundered dollars in plugs and no-one likes seeing a half full crate... :)

Redsoxticket
08-06-2006, 12:28 PM
Aquaskinz dealers can order tubes.

Hello are you reading the posts. Kadir said the above himself.

Rock Hopper
08-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Hi Leptar,

Let's talk off line as I want to find out which bag and where you got it. It sounds like an old set of inserts in that bag. The original inserts did have some reactions to rubber when stored for extended periods, especially in the heat or warm places. Unfortunatelly we cannot control this due to the various different chemicals used by each different rubber manufacturer as JohnR mentioned.

The new tubes we have manufactured however haven't had any melding/melting or bad reaction in over a year of testing in various temperatures on just about every type of rubber we could get our hands on. The only thing that has happened is that some of the pinks & reds have run on the tubes but nothing else. We changed our whole composite mix and blends and tested them before we started using them to try and avoid this, but again, we cannot completely control it as the rubber manufacturers do not divulge or share their chemical mixes with anyone. It is best to use the pouches for the rubber as there won't be any issues and space will be freed up in the bag for the plugs as Tinman noted.

Cal, Plano used to have this problem too many years ago but has since gone to different composites as well. They do all of their mold injection and forming offshore and it is a lot cheaper than the US....about 1/3. Their volume affords them the ability to do this. We do it here and to be completely honest, the tube costs have more than doubled, almost tripled in the last year to year and half and we haven't passed this on to anyone. But that's not the point I understand. We have corrected it to the best of our knowledge going forward even if it is much more costly.

Regards,

Kadir

leptar
08-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks all for the info...

Kadir, I sent you an e-mail thru your website...

Redsoxticket, yes thanks i didn't know that... I called the Edge to get me a new insert...

Tinman, thanks for the tips i will be looking for inserts as i don't want this to happen again...

gone fishin
08-06-2006, 09:47 PM
After reading this thread, I don't see an answer as to where the tubes can be purchased. I have quite a few old tackle bags that need new tubes and have been looking for a source for them also. Anyone have one or more?

Redsoxticket
08-06-2006, 10:01 PM
aquaskinz website has a list of dealers. The dealer should be able to order if not in stock.

Adamfishes
08-07-2006, 02:31 PM
why not just use pvc piping?

NIB
08-07-2006, 02:47 PM
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=78&product%5Fid=4933

gone fishin
08-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Nib - good site. Thanks for sharing.
The problem I am having is getting square tubing. It helps with the organizing and storage. I sometimes want to put more than one plug in a tube and square makes this easier and neater.

Rock Hopper
08-07-2006, 04:03 PM
As Victor has said a few times on this thread, you can order extra AquaSkinz inserts from your local dealer or any dealer listed on the AquaSkinz site as long as they are willing to order them for you. All the inserts are the newest version just as an FYI.

Kadir

BEETLE
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
What's the retail for the new inserts for the large bag, like leptars pictured at top of post ???

I never had a chance to replace my "melter" yet. Just duck taped over it.

gone fishin
08-07-2006, 07:10 PM
As I have indicated, I am looking to buy the square inserts, not from Aquaskin but from another cheaper source! From Aquaskin they will be quite expensive !!:gorez:

Rock Hopper
08-07-2006, 08:49 PM
The retail on the AquaSkinz inserts are very reasonable for what you get. A professionally done and finished set of inserts, bonded together in their own trays, drilled out holes and high quality plastic etc.

Contact your dealer for retail costs on the inserts, you might be surprised.

Kadir