View Full Version : THE STRIPER CUP LEADER BOARD

nightprowler
08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
wow, team #^&#^&#^&#^&'s came out of nowhere....

THE STRIPER CUP LEADER BOARD
As of 8-7-2006

CLUB LEADERS: (largest 10 fish)

1. Team #^&#^&#^&#^&'s MA, 442.3 pts.
31-Jul Lev Wlodyka 57.6 lbs.
25-Jul Lev Wlodyka 49.5 lbs.
04-Aug Nick Warburton 46.6 lbs.
03-Aug Morgan Child 44.6 lbs.
07-Aug Alec Gale 44.2 lbs.
27-Jul Greg Tayntor 43.5 lbs.
18-Jul Nick Warburton 43.4 lbs.
07-Aug Rick Sylva 40.5 lbs.
23-Jul Whitney Brush 36.6 lbs.
26-Jul Chris Morris 35.8 lbs.

2. Linesider Bass & Brew, MA, 407.03 pts
12-Jul Gary DeCosta 54.4 lbs.
07-Jul Gary DeCosta 46.2 lbs.
26-Jun Steve Coulombe 44.18 lbs.
26-Jun Gary DeCosta 43.16 lbs.
18-Jul Stanley Indyck 39.8 lbs.
03-Jun Steve Coulombe 38.37 lbs.
03-Jul Art Marshall 36.6 lbs.
07-Jun Gary Decosta 35.2 lbs.
03-Jul Stanley Indyck 35 lbs.
01-Jun Ron Dore 34.12 lbs.

3. Sandwich Basin Yacht Club, MA, 387.26
16-Jul Thomas Klueber 53.9 lbs.
03-Jul Chip Cheney 46 lbs.
07-Jun Thomas Klueber 43.56 lbs.
01-Jul Eugene Paltrineri 41 lbs.
07-Jul Bob Joyce 35.5 lbs.
17-Jun Terrance Hogan 34.3 lbs.
19-Jul Terrance Hogan 34.1 lbs.
07-Jul Leo Bedard 33.4 lbs.
27-May Terrance Hogan 33.3 lbs.
08-Jul Terrance Hogan 32.2 lbs.

4.Rhode Island Saltwater Anglers Association, RI, 365.09 pts.
20-Jul Donald Smith 40.1 lbs.
08-Jul Peter Vican 38.3 lbs.
01-Jul Peter Vican 38.08 lbs.
19-Jun Steve Mckenna 37.4 lbs.
08-Jul Donald Smith 37.3 lbs.
14-Jul Peter Vican 36.5 lbs
30-May Steve McKenna 36.23 lbs.
20-Jul Peter Vican 36 lbs.
27-Jun Bill Nolan Jr 32.98 lbs.
14-Jul Donald Smith 32.2 lbs.

5. Striped-Bass.com, 363.68 pts
25-Jun Antonio Machado 42 lbs.
17-Jun Anthony Orlando 40.25 lbs.
21-Jun Tony Grubiak 39.13 lbs.
27-Jun Tony Grubiak 36.5 lbs.
15-May Anthony Orlando 35.8 lbs.
11-Jul Tony Grubiak 35.5 lbs.
27-May Tony Grubiak 35 lbs.
04-Jul Antonio Machado 35 lbs.
18-Jul Michael Luccini 32.5 lbs.
07-Jul Tyler Rhoads 32 lbs.

"uffah!!"
08-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Big #^&#^&#^&#^&'s Team always WINS!!!

tattoobob
08-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Something tells me that they are all boat fish from the commercial fishing season in Ma.

Squid kids Dad
08-07-2006, 05:01 PM
Must be #^&#^&#^&#^&s bait & tackle on the Vineyard..I recognize most of the names...

nightprowler
08-07-2006, 05:16 PM
Must be #^&#^&#^&#^&s bait & tackle on the Vineyard..I recognize most of the names...
yeah, it is. I know they have a 46 and a 35 that they caught before the team was formed.

Mike P
08-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Something tells me that they are all boat fish from the commercial fishing season in Ma.

What was the first clue, that every fish they entered was caught July 18 or later? ;)

Altho the leading fish was entered on a closed day---but, that doesn't necessarily mean it was caught then. Or, caught Monday, sold Tuesday (perfectly legal under the Mass comm regs, by the way).

Stevie's getting those slips in real quick, too. I've been waiting close to 2 weeks for my fish to hit the 30 pound club, and GB Outdoor's 40 still hasn't materialized.

tattoobob
08-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Yup that was it, Nothin wrong with comms fishing a contest just they shouldn't compete with the average Joe, Or shore guys.

NIB
08-07-2006, 10:01 PM
It's all within the rules.
Not happy about the format?
there is all winter for that..
Moaning about it afterwords sounds like sour grapes.
All we can do is the best we can.
What kills me is we all agree to fish as a team then some guys
with some good fish get a conscience.
Wish I new about that earlier.

Mike P
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
No one's whining, but I would like to know when this team was formed. Obviously, if they have a 35 and a 46 from "before the team was formed" it was a recently formed "club". Most of the clubs up there in the top 5 have fish in there from May and June. Those clubs might have been formed, like us, just to fish the tournament, but they started under the same rules, and started fishing for fun, competition, prestige, camerademie, sportsmanship and all of the other stuff the tournament was formed for. Looks to me like this club was formed on the eve of commercial season for the sole purpose of winning, and being able to cherry pick from 30 fish a day. Every other club had to stick by 2 fish a day from May up until July. It may be within the rules, but it goes against the whole spirit of what this thing was supposed to be about.

Do I begrudge the Bass and Brew guys their fish even tho they have a lot of comms there? No, they started out like us, back in May, as did the Sandwich Yacht Club and RISAA. They weren't thrown together on the eve of commercial season. Hey, we weren't going to win it anyway. If I was one of those Bass and Brew guys, tho, I'd be beaucoup pissed.

No sour grapes---it just sucks, period. They're putting up some nice fish, but it still stinks.

Back Beach
08-08-2006, 04:35 AM
I wouldn't piss and moan too much about team #^&#^&#^&#^&'s. Most of those names you see are usually the winners/leaders for the vineyard derby too. Why? They are good fishermen. Commercial or not, I don't think it would matter. S-B has a lot of commercial license holders too.

inTHERAPY
08-08-2006, 06:19 AM
"If I was one of those Bass and Brew guys, tho, I'd be beaucoup pissed." I am one "of those guys" and I am not pissed, and I doubt my 7 teammates are either. Each one of us share an incredible passion for fishing...sleepless nights in anticipation, countless hours of prep, details
(i'm sure those traits are true for all of the hardcore anglers). In my mind, every single time I leave the dock is the day for the 50. I never begrudge anyone a catch, sh#t, I still want to see Majors numbers for the year. Good fishermen catch fish consistently. I have not broken 39# this year. I/we ( except for Gary, he's got 2 more fish in the 40s not even registered yet ) ) are obviously going to have to kick it up a notch if we want the Cup. See you at Striperfest. Art

GBOUTDOORS
08-08-2006, 07:05 AM
I can only take two fish a day and that changes the rules as far as I see it. We must stop at two big fish we feel may count they get to cull threw 30 that is not apples for apples. Are they better fisherman than me and you could be but lets have an even playing feild. In Mass. a com. guy can not enter the state derby for just this reason so I feel next year they need to look at the way this comes down. I told the guys at the Mass leg it would all change the day after the Mass com. started and it did.If this is the way it goes next year I will not bother as the out come is for gone already. No whining here just facts this was to be for fun not set up for com. fishing or was it. I think if they keep the com. guys in for next year they will see their dream (a very good one at that) of this being a true on going tournament ending too soon. Then agian if it stays this way all we need to do is get a few com. guys to let us check in their big fish and we can fix it for us to win the cup every year as it will go to com. teams only. I would not do this but just trying to show the way this thing will head . I feel sorry for the guys at ON THE WATER as they are trying to give us something to work for but there is always a way for someone to rig the out come.

NIB
08-08-2006, 07:22 AM
As a boat guy I would be targeting 40+ lb fish so u get one in ur cooler an u keep fishing.Releasing anything under 40+ till u get a bigger one.I don't understand where the problem is.sure they can cull thru 30 fish but realistcally how many huge fish do u think they catch.I think u have to consider that they are true experts.They have the knoweldge an will to forgo the price of fuel that might offset there earnings.Perhaps this is part of it. I also understand many comm guys will take there vacatins from there reg.jobs to fish as much as possible.Good for them.The replys' still sounds like sour grapes.Just Do better.Or lose.Plain an simple.
On another note I notice the shore catagory has not changed in a while.This reflects the miserable fishing I have also encountered from terra firma.Talking to Stevie Van Stahl on sunday he said this july was one of his worst in a long time he said he only had 16 fish for the month.So I'm not alone.But I'm not sure i feel any better.
Good luck an get a big one..
Tony

GBOUTDOORS
08-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Nib if as you said they are paid experts then you have just made my point for me and as far as it being sour grapes you are way off with that one in my case as I do not care one way or the other and for you to say so with out knowing me is not fair:rolleyes: I too did not check in a fish till it was over 40#.

NIB
08-08-2006, 07:51 AM
Nib if as you said they are paid experts then you have just made my point for me and as far as it being sour grapes you are way off with that one in my case as I do not care one way or the other and for you to say so with out knowing me is not fair:rolleyes: I too did not check in a fish till it was over 40#.

I never said Paid experts.I said TRue experts.
It is realitvely easy to get a Mass Comm License right?
Perhaps u don't get what I am tryin to say.
I understand ur plight.If u read my post in a negative manner that is all u will get from it.I was tryin to be inspirational in the way i was taught.Tough love,sh!t or get off the pot.Hitch up ur draws an get out an fight.Knute Rockney I'm not i guess.:rolleyes:
Sorry if I did offend.was not intended.

nightprowler
08-08-2006, 08:21 AM
I was in #^&#^&#^&#^&'s a couple of weeks ago talking with steve and matt, the 35 and 46 that were caught before the team was formed were shore caught fish. matt was registered in the individual category as he has a 40 pin. after several regulars weighed fish in as individuals they decided they should form a team. it just happend that it was near the start of the comm season.
#^&#^&#^&#^&s is my local tackle shop and they have served me well since my grandfather taught me to fish. my very first rod was bought from steve and the majority of my gear since has come from him also.
i was simply surprised when i checked the leader board and saw that they had leap frogged teams that had been there from the begginning. maybe the fishing on the vineyard has been that good?:jump:
i know i have been taking some nice fish recently, so after a slow start on the vineyard it has finally heated up from shore...and apparently from the boat as well. i have heard of several other fish in the high 40's low 50's caught by folks who aren't comm or in the cup.
tight lines!!!

Mike P
08-08-2006, 08:53 AM
NIB, how many big fish can a good comm get, realistically? I've seen guys come in this year with over 800 lbs. That's close to a 30# average on a 30 fish day.

Guys don't mind getting outfished on a level playing field. I certainly don't. If you beat me under the same rules, hey, I'll be the first to shake your hand. This isn't a comm/rec thing. This is the only tournament I know of that allows commercially caught fish to be entered. I don't have anything against commercial fishermen, just fish the OTW on your off days. If Lev went out there on a Monday and bagged that 57, hey, great job, kiddo. If Lev caught that fish on a Sunday and had two 40s in the boat, he had the advantage of keeping a fish that a rec couldn't. Still a great catch, but the deck was stacked in his favor.

Here is the other problem I have. Stevie Morris is fielding a team, OK, fine. I know Stevie is a straight shooter. It's not a problem with Stevie per se. It's a problem with what lawyers call, "the appearence of impropriety" #^&#^&#^&#^&'s is also an official weigh station--that's the reason the slips are getting in the same day they're caught. Now, if I catch a 35 lb fish on a Monday, and I take it to M&Ds to weigh, after I fill out the slip, Mike is going to send it in. If I catch a 43 lb on, say, Thursday, and weigh it in at Canal B&T, Bruce Miller is also going to send that slip in. When OTW gets it, they'll see I weighed in two fish in a week and the 43 won't count. Now, instead of being Stevie Morris, I'm Joe Sleazebag and I own a B&T. I'm a official OTW weigh station and I decide to field a team. What's to stop me from holding slips from my team for the week, and only sending in the largest fish for each member?

In the wrong hands, having your team captain as your personal weighmaster can be a problem.

Again, this is in no way a suggestion that these guys are doing that.

reelecstasy
08-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Mike P. hit it on the head IMHO

Mr. Sandman
08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
I gave you a heads up about this. You don't stand a chance in hell in winning against these guys. Yes, they are all comm fishermen and all are boat fish except for a 46 from the surf. They never even started to fish until the comm season started, that is the only reason you made it on the board. They are landing more 40#+ fish that you never see because they already weighed one in for the week.

There is no way a surfcaster taking two fish can compete against a serious comm fishermen with bait in a boat taking 30. end of story. You're burnt toast. IMO this contest should not allow comm fishermen to compete OR should have a separate catagory just for fisherment with comm lic's (whether you use it or not)

BTW, what what ever happended to the Bill Major matter? Is he still on the board? Speaking of questionable comm fishing ethics, the constable nailed another guy taking 22 bass on a monday out here.

BTW if your B&T faxes in the slips you will get the same day deal. Also, I know SM is very careful about doing anything that even appears questionable. Anyone who works at the shop has their fish wieghted in at Larrys B&T to avoid any confilct. The other comm fishermen just use him as a weigh station like anyone else. He faxes in the slips within minutes after they are weighed in. They don't even bother with anything under 40.

They are just fish catching machines. If OTW thinks it is OK for comms to compete with recs...this is what is going to happen.

eelman
08-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Seems to me most here are losing track of the fact that this is not a "Surf only" Tournement...It has nothing to do with "dont stand a chance" it always was a boat and surf tourney. In my opinion comm. or not, you still have to catch the big fish and those guys are. Did anyone think that none of these clubs had boat fisherman?

"here is no way a surfcaster taking two fish can compete against a serious comm fishermen with bait in a boat taking 30. end of story. You're burnt toast. IMO this contest should not allow comm fishermen to compete OR should have a separate catagory just for fisherment with comm lic's (whether you use it or not)"

Again its both boat and shore, which ever club wins...I say congrats...being a comm. does not gurantee a take of large.

Be happy with good personall results, with the amount of fisherman in this tourney, thats all you can hope for....or if its "surf" you want start looking at the surf only catagorys etc....and isnt SB for both shore and boat guys?? or is SB only competing on a shore level??

Didnt goose get a nice bass from a boat? and weigh it in for SB?

comms, still have to fish like anyone else, I am sure there is a fair share of holding fish for another week in the surf also.....

Just holding a lic, doesnt make you a better fisherman, jezzz half of MA holds a lic... I see nothing wrong with them weighing in there big fish if it was caught legally, even if they fished there "#^&#^&#^&#^& days whats the diff?? they still know where the fish are ?

Guy caught a nice fish but he is a comm, "no good"!

Guy catches alot of fish..."he is cheating"

Guy weighs in a 40 two weeks in a row..."must have bought them"

Nothing would make anyone happy with this tourney......A nice fish is a nice fish regardless a hook and a line caught it the fish doesnt care who is on the other end or wht type of lic. he holds.......

In my club "RISAA" The boat guys destroyed me and Steve ......we could care less....these guys dont have comm lic. however they catch the same amount of bass as any comm and basically have 20 to 30 fish nights and release most fish but keep there large, whats the diff?

Slingah
08-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Again its both boat and shore, which ever club wins...I say congrats...being a comm. does not gurantee a take of large.

no it doesnt....but sure stand a way better chance
I got no problem with the boat thing.....just the commercial thing
congrats is right to who ever wins....THIS year
I'll bet they change it next year......
TIGHT LINES to ALL

eelman
08-08-2006, 11:09 AM
no it doesnt....but sure stand a way better chance
I got no problem with the boat thing.....just the commercial thing
congrats is right to who ever wins....THIS year
I'll bet they change it next year......
TIGHT LINES to ALL

Again, I ask why?? ? why do they suddenly become better fisherman because they hold a comm lic???? I know plenty of recs who catch the same number of fish each day and toss em back?? Should Charter captains be banned also??

There are guys in my club RISAA Who cant catch fish in a barrell yet on occasion win in the boat division some years ....Why? because they charter well known bass slayers (charter capts) and basically get put on a good fish...should they be disqalified from the tourney? because they hired" a charter captain? does that count as basically buying there fish??

Slingah
08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
comm = pick of 30
rec = can keep 2......if you keep 2 that you think are large and then catch bigger....tough luck
does not seem fair to me....but what do I know...

eelman
08-08-2006, 11:21 AM
comm = pick of 30
rec = can keep 2......if you keep 2 that you think are large and then catch bigger....tough luck
does not seem fair to me....but what do I know...

Still have to catch 30........thats easier said than done and most of there 30 fish catch is 34 to 36 inch fish I dont think there catching 30-50lb bass...

You really think some rec out there way off shore doesnt cull now and then?? thats naive ....

reelecstasy
08-08-2006, 11:25 AM
"You really think some rec out there way off shore doesnt cull now and then?? thats naive ...."
Call it naive or whatever, but thats cheating, period...
I believe Slingah was assuming with no cheating, the odds are stacked..
But like Slingah, wth do I know, I am a surfguy, lol
I love seeing someone catching large, I will shake their hand no problem and give them a attaboy.
Like you i don't compare my surf fish to anyone in a boat, different game in my humble opinion...

Swimmer
08-08-2006, 11:27 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& when comms have 30 fish to choose from and we have two, thats fair. Thats absurd and patently unfair. Rec fisherman are at a 15-1 disadvatage before they pull away from the dock or out of the driveway.

Slingah
08-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Still have to catch 30........thats easier said than done and most of there 30 fish catch is 34 to 36 inch fish I dont think there catching 30-50lb bass...

You really think some rec out there way off shore doesnt cull now and then?? thats naive ....

yup...comm's do....but comm's can keep 30.....
Im sure some rec's cull....I am not naive to that....breaking the law should not even be an argument for this discussion

Mr. Sandman
08-08-2006, 11:45 AM
[QUOTE=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&]Still have to catch 30........thats easier said than done and most of there 30 fish catch is 34 to 36 inch fish I dont think there catching 30-50lb bass...[QUOTE]

You are misinformed.

eelman
08-08-2006, 11:58 AM
[QUOTE=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&]Still have to catch 30........thats easier said than done and most of there 30 fish catch is 34 to 36 inch fish I dont think there catching 30-50lb bass...[QUOTE]

You are misinformed.

am I? You know guys that are catching 30-50lb bass everytime out?? yikes! wow....

Chris....In a perfect world your right....No cheating.....but it aint a perfect world...........

It is all whinning and jealousy...wa...wa...wa...I dont stand a chance....no fair...sounds like a bunch of 5 year olds in a schoolyard, go fishing and hope for the best..

steve
08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
:uhoh:

:cheers:

steve
08-08-2006, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Mr. Sandman][QUOTE=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&]

It is all whinning and jealousy...wa...wa...wa...I dont stand a chance....no fair...sounds like a bunch of 5 year olds in a schoolyard, go fishing and hope for the best..

:claps: :claps:

In The Surf
08-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Here is the other problem I have. Stevie Morris is fielding a team, OK, fine. I know Stevie is a straight shooter. It's not a problem with Stevie per se. It's a problem with what lawyers call, "the appearence of impropriety" #^&#^&#^&#^&'s is also an official weigh station--that's the reason the slips are getting in the same day they're caught. Now, if I catch a 35 lb fish on a Monday, and I take it to M&Ds to weigh, after I fill out the slip, Mike is going to send it in. If I catch a 43 lb on, say, Thursday, and weigh it in at Canal B&T, Bruce Miller is also going to send that slip in. When OTW gets it, they'll see I weighed in two fish in a week and the 43 won't count. Now, instead of being Stevie Morris, I'm Joe Sleazebag and I own a B&T. I'm a official OTW weigh station and I decide to field a team. What's to stop me from holding slips from my team for the week, and only sending in the largest fish for each member?

In the wrong hands, having your team captain as your personal weighmaster can be a problem.

This is not an accusation and I am in no way implying this happens but just an observation and something I've been wondering about as an area to address and prevent other possible ways of cheating.
We know slips can get there same day and even if not faxed once the slip is filled out there is a prepaid envelope for it to be mailed in. Easy enough for it to go out in the mail to get to OTW with in lets say 3-5 days. So how is it the month ends, you have a monthly leader for largest fish , it is now 10 or more days into the next month and now there is a new monthly leader for largest fish from the previous month. Who is to say you can't back date a slip on a fish caught a week or more into the next month to claim the monthly prize. just something else to think about.

inTHERAPY
08-08-2006, 12:25 PM
I had a big post but.....let's all just fish and have fun

Back Beach
08-08-2006, 12:34 PM
"Every scout in the NHL is out there tonight, with contracts in their pockets, and they're looking for talent. For winners. OOOOOOOOOH. All my years of publicity. Of the fashion shows and radiothons for nothing... They come here tonight... to scout the Chiefs... the toughest team in the Federal League. Not this. Buncha... pussies."

Toughen up ladies. No excuses.

eelman
08-08-2006, 12:43 PM
"Every scout in the NHL is out there tonight, with contracts in their pockets, and they're looking for talent. For winners. OOOOOOOOOH. All my years of publicity. Of the fashion shows and radiothons for nothing... They come here tonight... to scout the Chiefs... the toughest team in the Federal League. Not this. Buncha... pussies."

Toughen up ladies.

Great Post ! homerun.........and thats the ballgame............

Saltheart
08-08-2006, 12:56 PM
The rules allow commercial fisherman to enter fish. If that's the rules , no problemo.

It might be wise to start lobbying against commercial fisherman entering fish for next year's tourney if you believe that is more fair.

Get the rules changed for next year, don't blame the guys who are playing within the rules.

bart
08-08-2006, 01:22 PM

Toughen up ladies. No excuses.

real subtle mike. lmao

JohnR
08-08-2006, 02:14 PM

It is not all whining and jealousy, it is called putting down a somewhat level playing field so everyone gets to play by the same rules. There is quantifiable advantage - when played to the letter of the law - to the commercial rod & reel angler in this tournament. It is currently allowed in the rules by OTW, and no reason to change it mid stream for this season. But it is fact that it favors the commercial angler during this tournament. It is fact that it is not a level playing field for all anglers in this tourney. I'm not against commercial fishing for bass (not very pro either - just don't think that debate is the problem) - this is not a rec -v- comm thing and this is not a boat -v- surf thing. It is a numbers game and the number potential during a day of fishing is staggered in the comm bass fisher's favor.

Jealousy has absolutely nothing to do with this.

RIJIMMY
08-08-2006, 02:22 PM
i for one am jealous of all of you!

The Dad Fisherman
08-08-2006, 02:26 PM
I'm Jealous of Hugh Hefner :lm:

nightprowler
08-08-2006, 02:30 PM
"We must stop at two big fish we feel may count they get to cull threw 30 that is not apples for apples."

how many people recs or comms are truly culling through 30 40-50 lb fish?
I was watching several of those guys unload there catch at menemsha last week and the majority of fish were in the 20-25 lb class with a few 30-35s in there.
these guys catch big fish, and during the derby when they can only keep 2 they are still consistently putting 40's and 50s on the board. whether it was comm season or not, lev and others would still be catching large.

I'm with you #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&:buds:
"It is all whinning and jealousy...wa...wa...wa...I dont stand a chance....no fair...sounds like a bunch of 5 year olds in a schoolyard, go fishing and hope for the best."

GBOUTDOORS
08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
How can anyone with a higher than a first grade education say that someone that can cull 30 fish does not have a very big advantage to someone culling two thats two yes I said two fish.:fishslap: :fishslap:

Agian not whinning I don't care but FACTS and numbers are what they are. I just thought the tournament was a good thing but do not see it going any where with this type of set up. I think the guys at On The Water did a great job to bring this about but I can't get past the numbers. So I guess I will not bother next year so I will not be accused of whinning. Or I could get all my com. buds to sign on to S.B .com as I am sure they would if asked. But then it would not be us would it.

reelecstasy
08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
How can anyone with a higher than a first grade education say that someone that can cull 30 fish does not have a very big advantage to someone culling two thats two yes I said two fish.:fishslap: :fishslap:
No clue, but no point in argueing the fact :smash:

nightprowler
08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
[QUOTE=GBOUTDOORS]How can anyone with a higher than a first grade education say that someone that can cull 30 fish does not have a very big advantage to someone culling two thats two yes I said two fish.

I just don't see it as being that big of an issue. guys that are going to catch large are going to catch large regardless of how many fish they can keep.

and for the record im jealous as hell of the guys, any guys that consistently catch fish in the 40-50 lb class comm or rec. i put in a lot of time and catch a handful of fish a year in the 30 lb class. and no matter how hard i try and where i fish and the time i put in i haven't been able to nab a 40 or a 50 yet.

maybe i need a boat:behead:

Skitterpop
08-08-2006, 03:40 PM
I just wanted to say hi to everyone :cheers: Good debate and no holds barred stuff.

MotoXcowboy
08-08-2006, 03:54 PM
:wid:

JohnR
08-08-2006, 03:56 PM
and for the record im jealous as hell of the guys, any guys that consistently catch fish in the 40-50 lb class comm or rec. i put in a lot of time and catch a handful of fish a year in the 30 lb class. and no matter how hard i try and where i fish and the time i put in i haven't been able to nab a 40 or a 50 yet.

maybe i need a boat:behead:

I applaude the guy that can do it - comm or rec - and hope that some day down the road enough good knowledge will finally sink in my skull that I can be one of those guys.

This is just about the math....

MotoXcowboy
08-08-2006, 03:57 PM
I applaude the guy that can do it - comm or rec - and hope that some day down the road enough good knowledge will finally sink in my skull that I can be one of those guys.

This is just about the math....

I agree with ya john.

GBOUTDOORS
08-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Just called six of my customers that are com. guys and asked if they would sign up for S-B and all said yes. All these guys have fish in the 40+50# range so far this year and will get many more till they stop fishing com. What do you think should we go for it???? If so then take my name out of the club division .

eelman
08-08-2006, 04:11 PM
John, I dont care who is comm or not....big fish is big fish, nothing to do with culling etc. good fisherman will catch the largest fish...regardless.....As for the culling, thats crap...these guys are not going to toss money overboard just for a pin !!!!!!!! If they happen to catch a large they enter it...but culling with money.....nope dont think so, they keep there fish to get paid....by the lodgic here....your telling me these guys catch 20 fish and toss them in the drink because they get 20 larger? Recs can do that also....

The only advantage I see is that they are good fisherman, the ones with the large anyway.

zacs
08-08-2006, 04:14 PM
i mostly agree with #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.
those guys just have a lot more time on the water.

eelman
08-08-2006, 04:17 PM
i mostly agree with #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.
those guys just have a lot more time on the water.

And Zacs, there are recs who are just as good and have time on the water also, only difference is these guys make some money with there fish...A fisherman is a fisherman in my book, you either have it or you dont...simple as that. There are plenty of guys with commercial lic. who dont catch well...

BigFish
08-08-2006, 04:17 PM
Here is the scenario folks.......comm. catches 30 fish.......one of them happens to be a 52 pounder.....the rest are 25-30 pounders......comm. figures why not weigh it in and make myself eligible for the 5 person drawing of the boat or truck or what ever the 5 largest fish caught are eligible for! Sells 29 for the dough and enters the 52 pounder! It is not culling in the sense of the word, just that out of the 30 fish.....one happens to be a slammer......you don't think that has/could happen?:huh:

Backbeach Jake
08-08-2006, 04:20 PM
Every name up there is a better trophy fisherman than I am. ( Remember "show me the slips?" well there they are:rtfm: ). I don't think any more time on the water would make me that much better. As for NIB, Holy crap man, you got a bass magnet or what!!!???:shocked: :btu:

BigFish
08-08-2006, 04:28 PM
I registered for only 2 reasons......1) If lightening happens to strike and I get one over 30, 40, 50 or Gawd forbid 60 pounds......other than keeping the trophy for meself it would be nice to get a pin for the accomplishment! 2) Thought that at the very least I would be eligible for that drawing at the banquet.:huh:

Thats all.....thats it.....don't care about getting the biggest, getting the most large or scoring the most points......thats not why I fish.....I fish cause I love to fish! Its my own little BigFish Derby and I am the only participant......I can't lose!:jump:

The Dad Fisherman
08-08-2006, 04:28 PM
Sells 29 for the dough and enters the 52 pounder! It is not culling in the sense of the word, just that out of the 30 fish.....one happens to be a slammer......you don't think that has/could happen?:huh:

Don't they still get to keep the fish after its weighed? If So they aren't really giving that fish up.

BigFish
08-08-2006, 04:29 PM
You are correct!

nightfighter
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
It's early August. I don't have a 20-30# fish landed yet this year! If I get something that will actually mean something in the final tally, it will have to be over 40#. Level field? No. But that's not my reason for entering. Will OTW review the format for the future? Probably. But for this year, I entered under the rules as they stand. If comms want to play, I just don't care......... It is what it is.

(my reason for entering was my two trips to Cuttyhunk each provide me a shot at a trophy fish, so I had better be entered)

The Dad Fisherman
08-08-2006, 04:35 PM
I basically just entered because I was heading to Cutty for the 1st time and, well, you just never know.

Backbeach Jake
08-08-2006, 04:40 PM
I registered for only 2 reasons......1) If lightening happens to strike and I get one over 30, 40, 50 or Gawd forbid 60 pounds......other than keeping the trophy for meself it would be nice to get a pin for the accomplishment! 2) Thought that at the very least I would be eligible for that drawing at the banquet.:huh:

Thats all.....thats it.....don't care about getting the biggest, getting the most large or scoring the most points......thats not why I fish.....I fish cause I love to fish! Its my own little BigFish Derby and I am the only participant......I can't lose!:jump:
That's it in a nutshell. only mine is the Jake Derby..September's coming...

Slipknot
08-08-2006, 04:41 PM
I can't read all this since it has morphed into I don't know what.
But I garauntee that I will have a 30 or 40 pound bass most likely on Sept. 18th:behead:

BigFish
08-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Yah me too Slip....and I will be happy!:jump:

NIB
08-08-2006, 05:09 PM
I have to say I mostly agree with #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&.
OK,I gotta go lay down now.:D
Like he said these guys can fish they have big fish patterns that they have found an developed for yrs.If it was at 2 fish they would still get em. Know why I'll spell it out.They go fishing, big fish spots learned over yrs Live baits or maybe yo-yoing.Lets throw that into the mix also.They don't bother to keep anything till it is a 40+ lb fish. They fish some more throwing back all smaller fish.Only taking another fish that is 50+ lbs.The 2 fish limit allows this to happen why can't U guys with a higher than a first grade education figure this out.They don't need 30 fish to cull from They are allowed 2 that is all they need.'
GOOD FISHERMAN DON'T NEED TO CULL FROM 30 FISH TO WIN THIS. Plain an simple...
It is happening sure but they could probably do it with out a 30 fish limit if they chose to.That is my point.They are still catching the fish that is the most important part an they should be applauded for thier efforts.Would they work as dilligently at it if there was no com.season.Probably not, who can afford gas an the time off without the money 30 fish brings to offset the cost's.Well who is to say.Some are more drivin then others. I spent a week in BI an I just did a weekend in the canal my gas cost's where over 400.Plus other expense's.I will also make more trips north.I do this tourney or no.I guess we won't really know till it is changed.I bet they go out an pound us again next year with no com's allowed just to make a point.

NIB
08-08-2006, 05:28 PM
NIB, Now, instead of being Stevie Morris, I'm Joe Sleazebag and I own a B&T. I'm a official OTW weigh station and I decide to field a team. What's to stop me from holding slips from my team for the week, and only sending in the largest fish for each member?

Is this illegal??
The rule simply states that fish for the week have to be entered by Sunday.The tackle shop guy is a busy man he has more important things to do then run to the P.O. every time a angler brings a fish in.That is why u see time lapses in the report section the dates are on the slips.That is what matters everything else is buy the rules.Or am I wrong by assuming this??Plus where does it say in the rules that if a angler gets a good fish on Monday an a better one on Friday he can't pull the slip. It just states he can only register one for the week.well it's still just one.One way of fixing this is to have numbered slips with the tackle shop responsible for keeping things in order sure mistake could be made but those slips would have to come in also. A stream of improprieties could be case for suspicion.I guess any contest will have room for doubt.Like I read somewhere else in this thread we have to have more faith in Our Fellow Man or not enter.

Skitterpop
08-08-2006, 05:30 PM
I bet they go out an pound us again next year with no com's allowed just to make a point. Tony G.

This is a nice clean shot

zacs
08-08-2006, 05:34 PM
NIB hit the nail on the head. Those are my thoughts exactly. I just can't say it as good. You know that to win now, you are going to need 40#+ fish. So go cull through 30 fish until you get a 40#er. The only difference is you are throwing them back, they are throwing them in the tote. People cry like if they could keep 30 fish they would have 40 and 50 lb. fish to enter. :jester:
These guys are just way better fishermen.

I say congrats to them, and if any of them are reading this, I will pay gas money and use of my boat for a mentor.

Zac

Raider Ronnie
08-08-2006, 05:39 PM
[QUOTE=Skitterpop]I bet they go out an pound us again next year with no com's allowed just to make a point.

I agree 100%
Face it, these guys know how to catch BIG fish year in year out !!!

Mike P
08-08-2006, 05:41 PM
My understanding of the rules is, once a fish is entered, it's entered. You enter it by signing the slip. You decide before you sign the slip whether to enter it, after you see the weight. Once you sign the slip, that slip gets sent in. I think if I was to ask the weighmaster to pull that slip so I could enter a bigger one, that'd be against the rules. And most of the weighmasters would refuse to do it.

As far as Major goes---there is conflicting information on whether he's even received a citation in the mail yet. It was clear he was not issued one on the spot, as it was too rough for the single EPO working solo to board. Also, since the EPO never boarded, the illegal fish were never seized as evidence, or even photographed. OTW is in a very bad position here. Could it be possible that, after the EPO conferred with his superior officer, the conversation went something like, "Gee, it's all well and good that you claim you saw 4 bass over the limit, but we don't have the fish, and we don't even have a picture of the fish. I think it'd be a waste of time to even cite the guy."? Can they disqualify a guy based on internet hearsay? Was the person who posted here when it happened, purporting to be Bill Major and admitting to a "miscue", even Bill Major? Major has 2 of the 5 keys to the lock that gives away the truck in his pocket. There is every possibility he'd institute legal action against OTW were they to disqualify him without a conviction in a court of law, or an unambiguous admission on his part.

Slingah
08-08-2006, 05:53 PM
I have no doubt those guys are way better fishermen and have proven ways to catch (live bait, yo-yo...or whatever) and probaly would win regardless of having a comm license..........so why not change the rules to no comms can weigh in during comm season???
I loose Sept and Oct....my real chance at a good fish and Im sure the same for a lot of surf guys
also I could give a rats a$$......I fish for fun....entered just in case and maybe win the boat:jester:
never claimed to be a GENIUS....last time I checked ...wasnt a LADY...and think Im older than 5............if any of that was directed at me...I take offense:devil:

NIB
08-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Was not directed at u slinga so don't go get ur panties in a bunch.
In fact after re reading it I felt there where some parts of my post that where not
neccessary To make my point so I deleted em.Sorry.

Mike P
08-08-2006, 06:06 PM
• Angler’s are allowed to enter and weigh only one (1) fish per week.
• Fish must be at least 34 inches in length to weigh in.
• Fish must be weighed at a registered weigh station sanctioned by the tournament.

• By signing the weigh-in slip, the fisherman attests to all information given.

Sounds to me like once that fish hits the scale, you're stuck with that fish for the week.

The Derby rules are a little different--or were before the state went to 2 bass a day. You could enter the heaviest bluefish, albie or bonito of the day, but only one bass a day. In other words, if you went to the weigh-in with a 12 pound blue in the morning, you could enter a 14 pounder in the evening. Same with a bonito. However, when the bass limit was one per day, you could only weigh in one a day. A fish was considered to be "entered" when you presented it to the weighmaster and announced your badge number and division (boat or shore, or fly rod boat or shore). I haven't fished it since Mass went to the 2 bass bag, so I don't know how it works now. I'm assuming you can enter two a day, with only your heaviest counting.

Slingah
08-08-2006, 06:11 PM
panties un- bunched......:jester:
not really mad....just alot of name calling...not neccessary

NIB
08-08-2006, 06:14 PM
panties un- bunched......:jester:
not really mad....just alot of name calling...not neccessary

I agree we are all friends here having a normal conversation right?
Sometimes I lose track of that.

BigFish
08-08-2006, 06:41 PM
Because this is a fishing forum....could we please refer to it as "waders in a bunch"? Thanks....a bunch!:jester:

Slingah
08-08-2006, 06:55 PM
Because this is a fishing forum....could we please refer to it as "waders in a bunch"? Thanks....a bunch!:jester:
no joking...this is serious buisness

tattoobob
08-08-2006, 07:25 PM
It looks to me like alot of typing for nothing, it is what it is for this year,
there is nothing to be done about it now.
it is going to take 10- 40 to 45 pound fish to win so get out and fish,
I am not weighing a fish in this year, I am not worthy :uhoh:

Slipknot
08-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Nib, you need to tell us all how you really feel :devil: :shocked: :soon: :usd:

I think everything was laid out ahead of time, so everyone plays by the same rules comm or rec. It doesn't matter whether you fish for fun or fish as a pro for money, ya still have as much right to enter this striper cup as the next guy.

Having said that I find a comparison to golf in this argument you guys are making. Ya don't see many golf tournaments that have both pros and amatuer golfers in the same tourney except pro-ams, and those have their own format. I know it's not comparing apples to oranges.

OK now having said that, I agree with nib:hidin:

I guess it's the dog days of summer

I entered so I could have a chance at that boat too Slinah:D shore fishing is getting limited these days for sure.

Skitterpop
08-08-2006, 07:41 PM

I wear neoprene waders inside breathables because I don`t want other fishers to know I hate even cool water..:usd:

Mike P
08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
I agree we are all friends here having a normal conversation right?
Sometimes I lose track of that.

Aw, gee, let's all hold hands and sing.

On three----"We are the world, we are the children..." :jester: :lm:

Slipknot
08-08-2006, 07:55 PM
Tough love,sh!t or get off the pot.Hitch up ur draws an get out an fight..

:jester: I think this belongs on Justplugits' thread about old sayings :usd:

Slipknot
08-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Cumbaya Mike :D

eelman
08-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Something else interesting, there is NOTHING in the rules that say when you have to weigh a fish in, there is NOTHING in the rules that prevent you from keeping a fish on ice for the following week...nothing so its perfectly legal in the rules , that if you catch two 40s in one night you can keep one for the follwing week.......

Mike P
08-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Something else interesting, there is NOTHING in the rules that say when you have to weigh a fish in, there is NOTHING in the rules that prevent you from keeping a fish on ice for the following week...nothing so its perfectly legal in the rules , that if you catch two 40s in one night you can keep one for the follwing week.......

You are correct. And in Mass, as long as you never have more than two fish in your possession over that week, you're also perfectly within the law. You could legally keep one a night for the whole week the other was on ice.

Of course, over a week like the last one with 3 days of 100+ degree temps, there's no guarantee your 40 would still be a 40, even if it was iced ;)

Slingah
08-08-2006, 09:16 PM
You are correct. And in Mass, as long as you never have more than two fish in your possession over that week, you're also perfectly within the law. You could legally keep one a night for the whole week the other was on ice.

Of course, over a week like the last one with 3 days of 100+ degree temps, there's no guarantee your 40 would still be a 40, even if it was iced ;)
and what a waste...who is gonna eat a week old bass:yak4:

tattoobob
08-08-2006, 09:32 PM
My cats will

CAL
08-08-2006, 11:59 PM
It is not all whining and jealousy, it is called putting down a somewhat level playing field so everyone gets to play by the same rules. There is quantifiable advantage - when played to the letter of the law - to the commercial rod & reel angler in this tournament. It is currently allowed in the rules by OTW, and no reason to change it mid stream for this season. But it is fact that it favors the commercial angler during this tournament. It is fact that it is not a level playing field for all anglers in this tourney. I'm not against commercial fishing for bass (not very pro either - just don't think that debate is the problem) - this is not a rec -v- comm thing and this is not a boat -v- surf thing. It is a numbers game and the number potential during a day of fishing is staggered in the comm bass fisher's favor.

Jealousy has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Thank you John for saying that. I'm so sick of guys saying things like this are all about jealosy. That's got nothing to do with it.

Anyone with half a brain knows the comms have an advantage under these rules. But that's the rules for this year. Deal with it.

Will the comms be in the running next year if they can't weigh in fish during the comm season, most likely. They know how to catch big fish. But it helps level the field quite a bit.

NIB
08-09-2006, 05:58 AM
Just call Me.
Tony Morone.

ThrowingTimber
08-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Lets not finger point. Personally I could care less if they catch whales. I'm more concerned with the sb team giving it a good effort. SO lets save the ph#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g griping for the january and go the phuck fishing.

Making us look like a bunch of ph#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& p[-]ssies on here ph#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g whining, stop %$%$%$%$ing typing and complaining about chit and %$%$%$%$ing get 'er done. The victory will be that much sweeter.

Raider Ronnie
08-09-2006, 06:32 AM
I can't believe reading all this arguing and name calling,
All for what, and stupid pin and bragging rights !!!
They (striper cup) should have a list of cash prizes instead of a stupid pin !!!
On the water must be making a KILLING on this stupid contest, and the grand prizi (the boat) was most likely donated !!!

Mike P
08-09-2006, 08:06 AM
On the water must be making a KILLING on this stupid contest, and the grand prizi (the boat) was most likely donated !!!

Hope so, maybe now they'll start paying more for articles :D

Spoken like the knucklehead I am, I guess :huh:

Nebe
08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Just call Me.
Tony Morone.

i prefer tony ballony :lm:

CAL
08-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Sorry. Wasn't intended as finger pointing.

NIB
08-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Sh!te what good is the internet if u can't say what u might not in person.
Plus now no one will get my Tony Marone joke.
where's the fun in that.

CAL
08-09-2006, 09:52 PM
NIB, I've got no problem saying anything to anyone in person. In this case it was just a general statement and not directed at you or anyone else. I just edited because I was'nt looking to start trouble.

Now as for Tony Marone, I used to work with a guy years ago who was actually named that. He took alot of ribbing from everyone :jester:

NIB
08-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Roman's Brother?
Farrgin Eyesholes.