View Full Version : Berkely Power Plastic??

BIGSWELL
05-15-2002, 02:25 PM
ANyone ever use these Berkley Plastics? They look great for jerk baits...but I would like everones professional opinion.

Thanks

BIGSWELL
05-15-2002, 02:26 PM
and this one too!!!

JohnR
05-15-2002, 07:11 PM
I prefer the Zoom Flukes or Queen Cocahoes myself ;)

*** BTW - check out GS's baits...

Clammer
05-15-2002, 08:31 PM
Bigswell they will work, every thing does at the time and place
people the use plastic as the main lure will catch fish on anything
But many have their favorites and ways of using them
to really understand the difference ,fish with someone that swears by them ,not someone who just adds to the arsenal
G/S is the best I,ve had the pleasure to fish with--but with his style//////
Icould be fishing buckies steady right now ,but I chose to fish plastics, I have so much confidance with them ,many a day or night I only take my plastics
Thanks to G/S I got a delivery today {THANKYOU] and I,ve already set up for tonight if I can stay awake for the tide
I have a boat but havn,t fished out of it in a week yet have fished 5/6 trips ,catching everytime
Just trial and error ,if its right for you or try and hookup up with someone hwo swears by plastic
Please don,t take this as bragging,just trying to say how deadly they are fished at the right place and time////

PS G/S that color is going to smoke them the next couple of trips////////////////////////////////:laughs: :laughs:

GBOUTDOORS
05-15-2002, 09:05 PM
Hey Clamdigger if you keep telling everyone how great GS plastics work we wont be able to get any for us. First time I fished them was in Feb. on the Thames and I had a ball. The second time was last Sat. and we were hitting fish on almost every cast. Thats not to say that other plastics would not have worked but Bobs stuff works and it last longer must be the super duper plastic he uses?:D :D :D

Clammer
05-15-2002, 11:20 PM
yea Greg,his p;astics are special but you ain,t seen nothing yet until he smokes you in his home waters///
I was hoping to give him some compertation this year but it looks like fate has different plans

Got a couple of fish tonight,but the tides are getting too late,things were just starting to move when i quit//

Buckies were easy picking this afternoon, I just watched the guys get them,had my tank and all but didn,t feel like it///

Hope to see you again before my season ends/////// Mike:confused:

AnthonyN
05-16-2002, 03:38 AM
The main power bait plastics I use are thier shad bodys and grubs and they work great! they have a killer scent and action they could be a bit more durable though but I wouldnt change em to much.

Fish a 4" powerbait shad body against a storm wildeye of similar color and i will put 100 dollar bet that the powerbait model outfishes the storm 2 to 1 if not more I have done the research myself with the 4" have yet to do the same with 6" models. I plan ion doing more research since I like to give the other a chance before casting it aside I also picked up like 30 bags of the storm stuff so i have to put more tinme in with em. They are not the miracle baits I thought they would be but they have an action that looks to be killer it rolls just a bit and that tail goes pretty good. they look great in the water but they haven't shown me they can out fish the powerbait models yet.

JohnR
05-16-2002, 07:50 AM
Clammer - same here - I was able to raise a few fish but that was all - had to head home at the turn instead of fishing the drop... Just as the "plops" increased...

Whereas life has other plans for you this summer, we might be watching Saturday AM fishin' TV together if what the PT lady said was possible last night is, in fact, true - possible torn ACL on the "Good Knee" which would require reconstructive knee surgery.... Not too happy about that - 2 knees, 0 ACLs :af: .

We'll be fishing "BM Style"

http://www.striped-bass.com/gallery/gal2/fullimages/bm_big_hole1_f.jpg

http://www.striped-bass.com/gallery/gal2/fullimages/bm_big_hole2_f.jpg

http://www.striped-bass.com/gallery/gal2/fullimages/bm_big_hole3_f.jpg

Got Stripers
05-16-2002, 09:03 AM
Why plastic? Because next to the real thing, nothing comes close. Yeah you woodies out there will catch some big ones, but if my life depended on catching year round I'd have a good assortment of plastic with me. It's so versitle and you can work it top to bottom, regardless of the water depth. You can catch them on top by working baits weightless, down to 150 feet rigged as a cod teaser.

By the way, I've switched my standard scent to Tournament Pro, in favor of the old shad standbye. While I can't advertise it as such, it's a close to the scent referenced in this thread as you can get. I've got to change that on the web site.

GB I've got your stuff ready for tonight, I'm soooooo pumped for another shot at your fish, I might even try to squeeze in a power nap at lunch so I can fish later :).

Clammer, glad you liked that stuff. I knew you'd be an easy mark, when I fished with you last fall up my way. Your a plastic man, trapped in a chunkers body lol.

John hows my banner coming? By the way, your care package is ready, but I'd rather deliver it or hook up with you. The package is heavy and I'd rather not ship it, plus it will give you an excuse if you need one :).

Saltheart
05-16-2002, 09:41 AM
2 knees and no ACLs. Just like mine. Isn't that the way they are suppose to be? :)

Sorry to hear you damaged the "good" one John. The funny thing is how the "good" one is now the bad one until the next injury. At some point you no longer say "The good one". You start saying "the better one" Neither one is any good but one is always better than the other! Wobbly knees suck.

Oh well , when we get older we can sit next to eachother on East Beach in our folding chairs and chuck clams at the fish. Even worse , maybe we'll have to fish from a boat . :) Hey , its better than not fishing at all.

Plastics are deadly. Those powerbaits look a lot like a Zoom Flike. I like the blue and grey Fin S fish this time of year. Might be because that color scheme is called Alewife!

Gs's plastics are definitely tougher than the normal things you can buy. Gotchas and Hawe River and Newport Lures are almost all the same soft texture and they rip easily. Couple of fish and the curltails are usually ripped and sliding down the jig. I think his tougher plastic mix will be a lot more durable.

JohnR
05-16-2002, 09:53 AM
GS - what did you think of the last one I sent to you, cleaned up with the boat on the left and Minot's on the right? I was waiting for your reply... Need a reason - uhh, OK ;)

Saltheart - that's what I'm afraid of, not the boat bit because I'll be able to take my son with me, but I'm afraid of folding beach chairs, slingin' clams on East Beach ;) ... I can see the progression of the surfcaster can be much along the lines of the life span of the average human:

Typical Surfcaster - starts with worms & bread on little fish - Moves to bigger and more elaborate chunking fish get bigger, starts to use jigs and plastic lures - eventually starts rock hopping with good plugs, eels, & plastics - becomes very efficient in many varieties of casting & catching from shore - ailments force more sand and less rocks to fish from - still smart, focuses on easy inlets with short walks to truck - fishing clams again with rod spiked in cooler rack, reel in baitclicker mode, asleep behind the wheel with "easy listening" on the radio - chunking from lawn chairs on East Beach talking about the good 'ole days :) :D ;) :eek5:

Typical life span: born soiling diapers - learn to talk, spoil diapers - learn new things, expand horizons - become competent at many things - retire - soil diapers...

See it's the same thing!!! :laughs: :laughs: :laughs: Just kiddin'

Saltheart
05-16-2002, 10:09 AM
It'd be funnier if it wasn't true. Its good we can stare such a horrible fate in the face and still laugh about it. Look on the bright side , someday we'll have those pretty blue stickers and be able to drive down to the WH Light! :)

schoolie monster
05-16-2002, 11:48 AM
First order of business, John, this sucks dude. Sorry to hear about the severity of the knee(s). Do what you have to do to get 'em fixed 'cause you gots a lot of years ahead of you in the surf.

In the meantime, anytime you want to head out on the boat, you've gotta spot. If you're up for some easy goin' light tackle fishing and some sort of attempt to learn something about this livelining stuff, just let me know.

Second, I have accumulated a bunch of different jerky baits over the past couple years. I've got slug-os, fin-s, zoom, bass assassins, BPS lazereye, berkley power jerk, cedar key... and a bunch of GS' homebrew in assorted styles and colors.

I like each one for various reasons, but GS's stuff is without a doubt the toughest. Most of these baits rigged with an offset worm hook last from a couple fish up to maybe 7-8 max. Rigged with a screw lock on a 60° or 90° jig hook or a kahle hook, I can do alot better... 10-15 fish per bait.

Saturday, I caught upwards of 25+ fish on one of GS' 4" baits. And its fine. No big hole worn by the hook, firmly on the screw lock. This is good stuff and they are compact and dense which really helps with casting.

I fish them as jerkbaits, no jigheads. I have some weighted hooks, but they are only around 1/8oz. and I often fish them unweighted. They do pretty well.

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I fish with Bob a bit and consider him a friend. No, he doesn't give me freebies to tout his baits. Its just good stuff and I wanted to add my honest opinion.

JohnR
05-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Schoolie - thanks for the offer - may need to do just that. Besides I want to finds some macks with you and do some scouting hehehehe.... Yeh it does suck if it needs to be reconstructed as this entire year would be lost or at least several months....

I agree on GS's baits. I don't fish plastic as much as Clammer & Schoolie but they DO last a lot longer than anything else I've used yet the still have great movement to them. Of Course, they don't have any pretty smiles or scales on them either :rolleyes:

Got Stripers
05-16-2002, 02:22 PM
After the last outting with GB I half joked, I think I'm making these too damn tough. With 4 breakoffs included, we boated nearly 125 fish on one 10 count. I'm not going to make much money making them that tough :), oh well...

RickBomba
05-19-2002, 11:28 PM
Old Man,
Sorry to hear about the knee.
Anyhow, after recuperating from my second knee surgery, I found this board.:)
The first was a tendon graft to repair the ACL; second repaired my meniscus and PCL. From what they tell me, they fixed my MCL in the first as well.
Looks good now, I can even run with the kids.
For what its worth, I was one of the best ski racers in MA before it happened; now I love being the new and mellow me...
It's not that bad.
You've got a lot of good friends.
Rehab is the bitch.
Later,
Rick:happy: :happy: :laughs: