View Full Version : Why Do You Fish?

BigFish
08-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Ask yourself "why do I fish" and give me your answer.

I fish because I love the feeling of my line going tight and the pull of a fish....no matter the size! It feels all the more exciting when its on my wood too! I love the outdoors......the sound of the waves lapping the shore as I slide a beauty up on the sand with the help of the surf! The sight of a striper or blue exploding on top on a plug! Sunrise, sunset....middle of the night when its dark and quiet....the shadows of other fishermen moving about the shoreline.....seeing the fisherman next to me "dance" in the wet sand with a "good one" on!! I love to admire the beauty in the color of the striped bass, its 7 black lines and the way it shimmers in the sunlight....or the moonlight! I love when I am fortunate enough to release a good size fish back into the surf.....I love when I release a small fish back into the surf!!!! I love seeing my buddies catch a nice trophy.....it never seems to be me but I don't care.....I just love being there!:kewl:

BigFish
08-08-2006, 05:09 PM
:huh: Tough crowd!:hidin:

Raider Ronnie
08-08-2006, 05:14 PM
It's like a drug or drinking addiction that I have no controll over !!!
My name is Ronnie, and I'm a fishoholic !

striprman
08-08-2006, 05:15 PM
Because they are there

NIB
08-08-2006, 05:45 PM
For the love of god can u remove that thing from ur sig.
I fish to win the OTW trophy.:D
Mostly because it relaxes me.

tattoobob
08-08-2006, 05:49 PM
For Peace and Solitude, To prowl around in the dark
Relaxation, love of the sea shore
and to see how I can better my self everytime out.

The fall run can't start fast enough

DZ
08-08-2006, 06:08 PM
The tide was way up with the new moon. The clay bluff before me was barely passable. "Lots of water moving tonight" I said to myself as I timed a receding wave so as to scurry around the bluff. (I talk to myself occasionally while fishing the surf. On many nights it’s the only company I want). I was into my fifth hour of casting and I was beat with little to show for it. I had been pounded as the flooding tide pushed waves into my body on the islands east side. I was cold and wet, especially my sleeves and neck area. I could taste the salt water on my mustache as I licked my chapped lips. I was totally exhausted, running on stale coffee and Pepperidge Farm cookies. The thought of a warm bed back at the cottage beckoned me. "What the hell am I doing out here?" "Cold, dark, stumbling around on slippery rocks, getting beat up by waves." It is a question I often ask myself when I cast the beach alone. A question that I always have the same answer for. I love it! Surfcasting is my element, my passion! I live for nights like this. Besides, I can't quit now; there are still four hours of fishable tide left.

That's why I fish.

DZ

Tagger
08-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Its kept me out of jail ,,,, so far .

NIB
08-08-2006, 06:20 PM
The tide was way up with the new moon. The clay bluff before me was barely passable. "Lots of water moving tonight" I said to myself as I timed a receding wave so as to scurry around the bluff. (I talk to myself occasionally while fishing the surf. On many nights it’s the only company I want). I was into my fifth hour of casting and I was beat with little to show for it. I had been pounded as the flooding tide pushed waves into my body on the islands east side. I was cold and wet, especially my sleeves and neck area. I could taste the salt water on my mustache as I licked my chapped lips. I was totally exhausted, running on stale coffee and Pepperidge Farm cookies. The thought of a warm bed back at the cottage beckoned me. "What the hell am I doing out here?" "Cold, dark, stumbling around on slippery rocks, getting beat up by waves." It is a question I often ask myself when I cast the beach alone. A question that I always have the same answer for. I love it! Surfcasting is my element, my passion! I live for nights like this. Besides, I can't quit now; there are still four hours of fishable tide left.

That's why I fish.

DZ

Nice psot DZ.
I often have the same inner conflict/conversations with myself.

PI guy
08-08-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm not quite sure why i fish considering how this season has been for me. Come on September!

Slingah
08-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Its kept me out of jail ,,,, so far .
yup.....keeps me outta the bar

Stewie
08-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Somebady has to stay up all night throwing hardware at the ocean and snarling "Eat the plug! Eat the plug!. Might as well be me :uhoh:

Slipknot
08-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I fish, therefore I am.

Pete F.
08-08-2006, 08:24 PM
Contrary to popular belief in my house, it's not just to p off my wife. I really wonder sometimes when I'm up for the second night in a row. And then...

Mike P
08-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Well, I live 5 minutes away from one of the best bass spots in the world, and I have all of these rods and reels--I should let them gather dust? :jump:

JohnR
08-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Time, peace, exhiliration, self reflection, harmony with the surf, thinking time, non thinking time, the serenity, the rush, the quiet, the commaraderie, the solitude, the new, the old tried and true, the wind up, the unwinding, the time to look into the stars and talk to souls since passed...

The tug, the bump, the peel, the shake, the pump...

The beauty, the gore, the hunt, and the release...

The Dad Fisherman
08-08-2006, 10:10 PM
I fish for the peace and quiet.

The feeling of just you and the water.

the adrenaline rush when all of sudden the line goes tight.

I took my bro-in-law out for his 1st time surfcasting during the PI invitational. it was about 3:00 AM and I asked him what he was thinking about (in a non-gay, getting ready to prove a point way)
he said "Nothing" and i said "Exactly"....now you know why i come out here all the time. Its the only time I'm not thinking about something that needs to be done or problems at work.....

basswipe
08-08-2006, 10:15 PM
See my "huge bluefish" thread.I had fun and its something I'll remember when I'm very old.It might not seem remarkable but to me it was.

Labrador1
08-08-2006, 10:24 PM
In my early years I remember fishing near a guy on the cape - he wasn't really very friendly so I kept out of his way. We both left the beach at the same time and a nice couple walked up to him and said, "what are you fishing for?" With a snarl he said, "To get away from my wife and kids." Cracked me up - but kind of sad too. Why do I fish - because there is something inside of me that won't allow me not to. It has always been there - and God willing - it will always be there.

bluzjamer
08-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Uh...because my wife don't!

eelman
08-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Because its like breathing, cant live without out...Something I have always done since I could walk and my dad put that first zebco under the tree.

A coffee can full of nightcrawlers and a walk down the street to the local pond to catch bluegills at 6 years old are some of my fondest memorys.

The anticipation I felt for opening day of trout season as a teenager and not being able to sleep for a week waiting.

I still feel that way, I still get exited for each and every trip to the shore as if it were my first !

Everyone has there reasons why they fish and thats the best part of it. Sometimes (more often than not) I forget I am fishing thats how much a part of life it is for me. Its not a hobby for me, its something much more than that. There have been times when I could not go and sat on the couch crying because the wind was right and begged my wife to somehow tell people I had some terrible ailment and could not make it to the cookout or whatever...

I had an ailment alright......Fishing fever!I fish because I have to...dont have a choice in the matter at all..Ok...its now 3:30am and I am sneaking off to go fishing with Steve...................

Striperhound
08-09-2006, 05:18 AM
The shoreline is my "church" Self Reflection and giving thanks to the people who are important in my life.

Swimmer
08-09-2006, 11:29 AM
I fish therefore, I am.

Solemnity at

dawn.

Hearing the plug splash into the water three hundred feet away because

there is no other sound.

Just you and well...

...you.

Not competing with anyone else........just the fish.

Oh yes, did I mention seeing that huge friggin fish smashing that surface plug at dawn causing an erruption in the water's surface that give you an incomparable rush.

wheresmy50
08-09-2006, 11:40 AM
The best thing on earth is that split second when fishing eels after enough line has gone out when you engage the reel, begin to haul back, and have no idea if the hook is going to land in the jaw of a monster or slip harmlessly through the sea.

I think some chemical probably gets released in my brain when that happens, cause it's a pretty addictive feeling.

reelecstasy
08-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Time, peace, exhiliration, self reflection, harmony with the surf, thinking time, non thinking time, the serenity, the rush, the quiet, the commaraderie, the solitude, the new, the old tried and true, the wind up, the unwinding, the time to look into the stars and talk to souls since passed...

The tug, the bump, the peel, the shake, the pump...

The beauty, the gore, the hunt, and the release...
Couldn't have put it any better....
Plus I look good in waders:usd:

MrHunters
08-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Physically- for the strike, the peel of the line, the unkown of what is on the end of your line, the adrenaline of the fight the boost when you see what it is, time on the water.

Mentally - decompress, time to think, time to not think. I didn't start fishing seriously until after my dad died and he was a big fisherman, we had our deep sea fishing trips and whatnot but never actually connected on that level. It makes me feel close to him, finding a connection and a way to keep him around.

Also, its a hell of alot of fun :)

tynan19
08-09-2006, 11:54 AM
I asked him what he was thinking about
he said "Nothing" and i said "Exactly"....now you know why i come out here all the time. Its the only time I'm not thinking about something that needs to be done or problems at work.....

My thoughts exactly

chris L
08-09-2006, 12:05 PM
keeps me out of the bar
keeps me out of jail
like the feeling I get being in my waders ( latex fetish)
gives me something to do at night other than sleep
and the #1 reason

I heard its a great way to meet chicks . I have met so many they keep me away from the fish from June till midJuly . now if I could only meet as many woman

MotoXcowboy
08-09-2006, 01:29 PM
John R's post..
Couldn't have put it any better....
Plus I look good in waders:usd:

:kewl: me too..

except I dont look or feel good in waders.. :nopain:

Sluggoslinger
08-09-2006, 02:01 PM
I like the feeling of the roll of the ocean when I'm out on my boat. I like being out of site of land. I love the spring run before the crowds show up. The smell and feel of salt on me.

I like to catch my own food. I love chatham and monomoy. I can't wait for the fall.

Fishing is my me time and my bonding time with friends.

I love the challenge.

I could go on and on. I allows me to daydream at work. I have so many goals. I want my marlin, big tuna, 50lb bass etc...

I just love it!

RImike
08-09-2006, 02:34 PM
I fish because I can, and I know somewhere, someone is wishing they could be in my shoes. No matter how bad I feel, when I go fishing I feel unbelievably lucky that I have all my limbs, most of my brain, and some of my sanity left. It keeps me humble, knowing that any time it can all be taken away by a rogue wave, weird illness, or car accident on the way home. Nothing is forever, enjoy it while you can, I say......plus I kinda like the smell of fish :)

afterhours
08-09-2006, 03:14 PM
The shoreline is my "church" Self Reflection and giving thanks to the people who are important in my life.
when i'm out there alone or with good freinds, i feel very close to my maker. been doing it over 40 yrs ain't dead yet- i can't imagine my life without fishing and its related activities. met a few reel good quality people in my pursuit :cheers: - and a bunch of less thans.

Finaddict
08-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Have to say, fishing is my life ... it's my number one passion, love it - can cite a bunch of reasons, but similar to Ronnie, it's my drug.

Squibby17
08-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Lots of great stuff has already been said.

I fish for many reasons. The types of fishing I do can be for different purposes. Last weekend I was on the Vineyard and knew it was hot as balls and I bought some squid to throw out on the bottom knowing that I was really only going to catch skates, but that was fine cause I could play frisbee on the beach and socialize with friend but keep aline in the water

In two months I'll be walking endlessly in the night by myself with a ton of plugs, eels and what not so I can have my best chance at a monster. When I fish with a large group of guys and some want to leave to eat dinner and what not I have to leave with the last group because "i can't miss the late blitz"

I think for me its almost impossible to be stress out when I'm fishing it's not an activity its a state of mind!

shadow
08-09-2006, 04:11 PM
I fish cuase I love the calm surf when I can think,or when the surfs up and the only thing I can think of is what the hell I'am I doing out here?I love wading out to that far rock the one that scares the s%$# out of me every time i go out there.I love walking around the rocks at night all alone.Surfcasting has helped me get over some hard times in life as well as staying clean from drugs,catching fish is far better then any drug.fishing is my lifestyle.theres no better reward then pulling a good fish out of the suds.

Bernzy
08-09-2006, 04:43 PM
I fish, becauses it pleases me to do so.........

To fish, either by myself, or much better yet, with good friends, is the best therapy for the mind, spirit and body that I know of. (maybe not body :uhoh: )

Bernzy

missing link
08-09-2006, 04:50 PM
I fish because I LOVE IT plain and simple
ML Sr.:bo:

Flaptail
08-09-2006, 05:06 PM
Because golf sucks, bird watching, though interesting is quickly boring, Hiking is okay but those people with the funny floppy hats and LLBean attire and pale skin frighten me, I gave up full court basketball four years ago when it became quite apparent that my knees were disintergrating, I suck at softball and baseball. I don't do malls well and hate spending money anyways ( I am firmly parsimonious), you can't hunt at night or on Sundays in Massachusetts and if I ever brought home a deer again my daughters would have PETA at my door in a heartbeat ( I failed miserably at trying to convince them that Bambi, Thumper and Flower don't really exist and animals don't converse like us humans do and that yes they are quite tasty) kayaking with my wife would simply make me rather be getting a root canal ( besides boats suck, the only reason for having one is to catch fish from otherwise I wouldn't have a thing to do with them) They won't let us "hunt" seals ( I could really go full time with a pastime like that) I enjoy misery while crawling over barnacle encrusted rocks and junk on the island beaches and the sweat, pains and aches that come with it ( does that make me a sado-masichist?)
It allows me continue feeding my fetish for more lures, rods, reels and associated junk than I could ever use in three lifetimes ( maybe four) I like swapping lies and trying to figure out what is really true and what amount of Bull sh*t is being spwewed out on me. I enjoy blood s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g swarming insects infecting me with unpronounceable diseases and dousing myself with chemicals to ward them off that over time will have more of a detrimental affect on my health than the initial bug bites.

With all that pointing to it I guess it makes fishing all the more attractive. I need help.......

luds
08-09-2006, 05:20 PM
I fish cuase I love the calm surf when I can think,or when the surfs up and the only thing I can think of is what the hell I'am I doing out here?I love wading out to that far rock the one that scares the s%$# out of me every time i go out there.I love walking around the rocks at night all alone.Surfcasting has helped me get over some hard times in life as well as staying clean from drugs,catching fish is far better then any drug.fishing is my lifestyle.theres no better reward then pulling a good fish out of the suds.

This somes up my feelings pretty well. Long nights of fishing are a more positive way to spend your time than being up all night doing things you shouldn't be doing. I've done too many of those things.

I had my drag set too tight the other night when I got slammed. Fish yanked me so hard I lost my balance for a sec and almost fell in off the ledge.. Would have been ugly. I find experiences like that humbling but they make me feel very alive after a long day of sitting behind a desk and around conference tables.:yak5: I also enjoy the comradery of fishing with friends but enjoy the feeling of solitude fishing by myself just as much. Can't really think of anything better than feeling the pull of a good bass while you're out on the new moon alone in the dark.

Swimmer
08-09-2006, 05:36 PM
Hey ChrisL, someone told me you wore those waders a couple of sizes too small. I didn't believe it. Now I guess I have to.:jump: