View Full Version : Bad Crab? Dead dog

nightfighter
08-08-2006, 05:57 PM
Been seeing a lot of crabs up on the beach on the falling tide lately. Then today, my brother tells me that a two year old yellow lab from his litter died in twelve hours.... Dog ate a crab on the beach in the morning, sick all over the house at noon, to the vet for antibiotics in afternoon, dead at 9pm.... Vet said dog died of botchilism, from the crab. Will try to find out more, but never heard of this before. FYI, happened in Swampscott, but don't know whether those beaches have been closed for high bacteria this year.

stripersnipr
08-08-2006, 06:35 PM
I owned two Labs and never forgot what my vet who also owned two Labs told me. Labrador Retrievers are one of the very few breeds of dogs who will literally eat themselves to death, whether by simple over indulging or eating bad food. He told me he see's a lot of case of poisoned Labs due to the fact that they will eat things that most other animals dont see fit to eat.

luds
08-08-2006, 07:13 PM
That's too bad to hear about the dog. I was on the beach in Swampscott saturday pm and I did notice alot of dead crab.

cheferson
08-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Food intoxication, its a nerve toxin produced by a bacteria ( clostridium botulinum) in spoiled foods. The toxin is present in the spoiled food and causes problems very quickly , its same thing as botox. Antibiotics wouldn't help, since its a food intoxication and not an infection

bluzjamer
08-08-2006, 11:06 PM
I got a case of the crabs once......I wished I had died! Nasty Bitch!

JHABS
08-09-2006, 05:38 AM
I lost a Lab 20 years ago while Duck Hunting . The dog ate a dead fresh water clam, With all attempts by vet they could not save her.

american spirit
08-09-2006, 03:32 PM
yeah, lot's of crabs dead in a few new spots on the north shore area sunday night/ monday morning. curious on any issues with the bass. sorry to hear about the lab.

MrHunters
08-09-2006, 04:20 PM
i noticed an over abundance of crab last year in beverly.....

thats a tough way to go....

_____

Finaddict
08-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Too bad about the dog ... I know that we saw a ton of crabs out on Friday night, I must have crushed a hundred of them walking through the rocks.:usd:

But as for labs eating garbage, my buddy and I were on Ram Island just outside of Mystic, CT, we rowed out there with his black lab, it's private but we did not care all that much ... there was a dead seagull, the dog ate it and spit it back up within a span of a few seconds, never saw anything like it ... totally disgusting.

Also, a lab of one of my former bosses got caught in his tackle box, a lure was hooked on its nose and lower jaw forcing the dog not to open its mouth ... he had to take the poor pup to the vet, after they removed the hooks, the dog puked up a pair of socks in a ball, some plastic army men and a variety of other items ... don't know if he is still alive, but crazy.

ProfessorM
08-10-2006, 09:49 AM
I got a lab story. My buddies cat had a liter under the porch of his house the lab ate all the kittens in the litter, alive. He saw him eat the last one.:uhoh: I have a 10 year old black lab, Oprah. She will eat anything, especially if it is dead and smells. She has ruined every rug in the house we have ever owned.:yak4: I told the wife no more rugs till this dog expires. Just last night she hurled up 5 green tomatoes she ate from my garden. Stupid....... P.

MrHunters
08-10-2006, 10:10 AM
sorry to laugh but you have a black lab that eats everything and her name is oprah....too funny sir.

wheresmy50
08-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your dog. Labs are the best breed, IMHO. I had one that could completely eat a hard Nylabone in 2 days when she was a puppy.

I remember one time I asked the vet how much to feed her and he said just put a lot of food out and see how much she eats before stopping. I just laughed - she would have eaten the whole bag.

For the house, there's a clear type of Texas Pete hot sauce that works pretty well.

scoobe
08-11-2006, 12:02 AM
We got a rat terrier who loves to eat random stuff and puke it up. String, plastic, and cotton stuffing are his favorite snacks. He digs spiders too.

Tagger
08-11-2006, 03:44 AM
i noted alot of dead crabs on the beach in my area, just south of Boston also .. .

Raven
08-11-2006, 06:19 AM
very sorry to hear about your brothers two year old lab....NF

that's a bummer....:hs: i always attributed labs eating disorder to competitiveness at feeding time.... as the most aggressively eating puppy gets the most....so.... they eat fast and furious.

Such was a LAB i had.... and then one day: i put down a can of dog food
and the dog vacumed it down in one second ...THUPE...gone...

so being a curious young man and having an electric can opener and a ton of canned dog food,...i wondered just how much food this dog could eat.... and kept on opening them one after another....until i cleared off several shelves...around 14 cans.

that dog! was so stuffed it layed out in the backyard for almost two days before it got up again.... but never again did it vacume
it's food down the hatch....and ate slowly, patiently from then on.