View Full Version : Mambo Minnows vs Bombers

MotoXcowboy
08-09-2006, 07:36 AM
Are they bascially the same? Do you load them both with 10cc's?

edit - redfins too

Also:
What do you prefer...plastic or wood swimmers.

I think the bombers/mambos look alot more natural (shape), and wood (dannys, ect) cast alot better.
What are your thoughts and preferences..

Thanks

choggieman
08-09-2006, 07:58 AM
bombers are so much better a plug in my opinion. I have broken mambos on fish, they cast lousy and break easy. I live and die by the bomber

MotoXcowboy
08-09-2006, 08:05 AM
thanks for the imput choggie.

another question...what is the purpose of this split ring? :huh:

tattoobob
08-09-2006, 08:25 AM
I think the split ring gives the plug more action, same as a clip. your supposed to tied directly to the split ring,
the mambo minnows have a more realistic finish than a bomber
I think they work the same as each other

I load mine with 10 cc's for rocky shores and 15 cc's for sand beaches

In The Surf
08-09-2006, 08:27 AM
thanks for the imput choggie.

another question...what is the purpose of this split ring? :huh:

Use the split ring if you tie direct, remove it if you use a snap or loop style knot.

Nebe
08-09-2006, 08:27 AM
take the split ring off if you are using a snap, if you tie direct, then the splitring will help it swim better-

I love mambo minnows in sept when the mullet are running....

heres a tip- stamina inc. sells a replica of the mambo without hooks for about 2 bucks.. :D

jim sylvester
08-09-2006, 08:47 AM
take the split ring off if you are using a snap, if you tie direct, then the splitring will help it swim better-

I love mambo minnows in sept when the mullet are running....

heres a tip- stamina inc. sells a replica of the mambo without hooks for about 2 bucks.. :D

good site eben

thanks for the tip

Redsoxticket
08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
I think the split ring gives the plug more action, same as a clip. your supposed to tied directly to the split ring,
the mambo minnows have a more realistic finish than a bomber
I think they work the same as each other

I load mine with 10 cc's for rocky shores and 15 cc's for sand beaches

Do you load both mambos & bombers. Do you seal the seams to prevent leaks ?

tattoobob
08-09-2006, 10:42 AM
you can load any plastic plug I make a hole in the top then seal it with silicone so I can refill them if needed. I load red fins mostly but I do have a couple of mambo's and bomber's that are loaded

bart
08-09-2006, 11:04 AM
caught more and bigger fish on mambos than bombers....always have a black and chciken scratch in my bag

MotoXcowboy
08-09-2006, 11:08 AM
where can I buy a syringe? to load the plastic swimmers?

also..I wish I could've made this a poll.

wood vs plastic swimmers since I can't go back and do that now..

why dont we just type our preferences in..

for me.. (granted I am no expert here) but..

I prefer Plastic swimmers in strong currents like breachways, and Wood for casting longer distances from the shore into the surf.

I'm just curious how everybody else uses them here..hopefully I can learn some methods and apply them to become a better fisherman.

luds
08-09-2006, 11:08 AM
you can load any plastic plug I make a hole in the top then seal it with silicone so I can refill them if needed. I load red fins mostly but I do have a couple of mambo's and bomber's that are loaded

Definately take into account that both bombers and mambos have casting waits inside them(Bombers cast a little better than mambos IMO). They both cast considerably better than an unweighted Red Fin. I don't load Mambos and bombers because I'm happy with them as is. I also don't notice a difference in the casting ability of a red fin with 10cc's vs an unloaded large or a-salt bomber. I've caught more bass on unweighted a-salts and large bombers than any other plug.

RIJIMMY
08-09-2006, 11:10 AM
caught more and bigger fish on mambos than bombers....always have a black and chciken scratch in my bag

me too

Backbeach Jake
08-09-2006, 11:19 AM
5" Olive Mambo. Get 2, change the hooks to 1/0. Load one.

Redsoxticket
08-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I've used a platic disposable syringe with no neddle that is used to orally ingest a liquid that weight lifters use to allow them a better work out. They very well could have placed it in a bottle but the syringe allows a measured dosage. I then place a wd-40 straw to the end of syringe. Call those stores that cater towards health products.

Mike P
08-09-2006, 11:34 AM
bombers are so much better a plug in my opinion. I have broken mambos on fish, they cast lousy and break easy. I live and die by the bomber

I agree. It doesn't take much of a fish to pull the belly hook hanger clean out of a Mambo. If anything, the Stamina knock-offs are even weaker.

RIROCKHOUND
08-09-2006, 12:46 PM
Neither..
Redfin... :D

DZ has racked up some nice fish on the Staminas... maybe he'll chime in!

Bernzy
08-09-2006, 12:56 PM
The minnows from Stamina are the same as the ones from Barlows and Jann's Netcraft as well as being the same as Mambos.

Bernzy

shadow
08-09-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree with rockhound redfins will blow both bombers and mambos out of the box, I love the redfin in sept.loaded or not.

libassboy
08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I really dont load anything but redfins, bombers and mambos cast ok as they are.
Redfins are the way to go, one of the best plugs ever made, especially when the bass are being finicky. A jointed 5" has saved many nights for me, get a chrome one and scrape the paint off....nice bone color underneath....:faga:

Springer
08-09-2006, 10:19 PM
Never fished Mambos but as far as redfin vs bomber, all depends on where you are using them. Redfins seem good in calmer water crawling on the top but I typically fish an inlet, on a hard dropping tide a big 17A bomber shines. A strong eddy sets up and when you hit the sweet spot the bomber dances back and forth in the seam, you don't even need to reel ;) .

MotoXcowboy
08-10-2006, 04:38 PM
last nights mambo minnow delight :uhuh:

some how this fish missed completely or hooked itself on a tailstrike.

Both trebles were stuck in the top of its back. For a while I thought for sure I had a beast..:eek5: Drag was screaming and my rod was bent in half for a few nice runs. Got it to the rocks and only measured up 29"

second time I've false hooked a keeper..last year in a breachway caught one on the same lure, hooked on the top of his head..put up a HELL of a fight.. thought for sure I had large on..kind of a let down when they come in but..I'll take it.

Oh yeah..stock mambo hooks held up just fine.

Slingah
08-10-2006, 05:38 PM
I always use mambo minnows....love em'...one local spot they work like magic....maybe bombers are better...but it seems for me the mambos work better....there anyway
as far as mambos blowing apart....it has not happened to me yet and Ive been using them for years........I ve straightened vmc's a few times on LARGE and think if there was a issue, the plug would have failed before the hook straightened:huh:
I have a couple of mambos that I have landed chitloads of 15-30 # -crazy, oxygen charged, frenzied, feeding , striped ones....... and still held up...I dunno....until they start breaking for me...Im sold

Slingah
09-01-2006, 05:15 PM
I always use mambo minnows....love em'...one local spot they work like magic....maybe bombers are better...but it seems for me the mambos work better....there anyway
as far as mambos blowing apart....it has not happened to me yet and Ive been using them for years........I ve straightened vmc's a few times on LARGE and think if there was a issue, the plug would have failed before the hook straightened:huh:
I have a couple of mambos that I have landed chitloads of 15-30 # -crazy, oxygen charged, frenzied, feeding , striped ones....... and still held up...I dunno....until they start breaking for me...Im sold
I TAKE IT BACK:realmad: .....I'm a Bomberman now.......

justplugit
09-01-2006, 05:25 PM
My condolences Matt. :humpty:

Tagger
09-01-2006, 05:41 PM
how do you fish those little hooks during the fall run . Scary . I believe your hooking up good ,,but what size fish ? Don't you guys straighten hooks out ? I've lost fish on 3/0 straightened belly hooks easily.. Main reason I don't fish a mustad under 4/0 . VMC for me . Maybe its me because my drag is socked down so tight .. I don't let the fish run all around the rocks if I can help it . I like a 17a bomber,,,7" redfin,, magnum rapala,, decent hooks on those at least . Are these little baits fall run baits, where you might hook up the fish of your life ?
While on the subject these "Lefty" type baits swim the nuts, but the little hooks scare me there too . I'm not a sandman ,, I can't afford to play a fish . and I'm not even catching NIB fish .. :eek:

basswipe
09-01-2006, 05:47 PM
One of my all-time favorite plugs is the Bomber A-Salt.Its castability for a 1oz plastic minnow is incredible.The stock hooks are actually good for a couple of fish though replacement with VMCs after that is mandatory.

Would love to see a bigger heavier(9" 2oz) version of the A-Salt with VMCs out of the package.

Slingah
09-01-2006, 05:57 PM
no little hook eddie....it was a switched out VMC....belly hook straightened....and rear of plug exploded......
drag always probally too tight ...and I loose a few good fish every fall by way of straightened hooks because of where fishing and not being able to let em' run....but thats okay....I get most of em'

thanks dave:hee:

Tagger
09-01-2006, 06:54 PM
no little hook eddie....it was a switched out VMC....

Still ... little bait like that ,,whats the largest hook you can put on there 1/0 ? fishing fall run ,,at night , . a lot of older surf lures 40's they were fishing 5/0 hooks .. finer wire diameter but still . I personally like larger hooks . I guess its all mind set .. I'm still looking for one fish . Then I can quit fishing .

Slingah
09-01-2006, 07:39 PM
Still ... little bait like that ,,whats the largest hook you can put on there 1/0 ? fishing fall run ,,at night , . a lot of older surf lures 40's they were fishing 5/0 hooks .. finer wire diameter but still . I personally like larger hooks . I guess its all mind set .. I'm still looking for one fish . Then I can quit fishing .
your right.......

Redsoxticket
09-01-2006, 07:45 PM
What size 9626 VMC treble do you use on the mambo minnow ?

Slingah
09-02-2006, 04:53 AM
#3 Victor

luds
09-02-2006, 04:54 AM
What size 9626 VMC treble do you use on the mambo minnow ?++

3/o

t.orlando
09-02-2006, 07:02 AM
#3 Victor
look like a foul-hook

Redsoxticket
09-02-2006, 08:48 AM
Slingah. THX.
Do you know what type of fish caused the rear of the mambo to get blownout.
Is it possible it could have been a bluefish's teeth that snapped the plastic at the end.

Slingah
09-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Victor...no blues around....I'm pretty sure both happened at the same time...it was a bass I saw it........but I guess it is possible that they happened on different fish and I did not notice one or the other

Tony O....good to see you on...hope your feeling well....
it quite possibly could have been foul hooked......happened a few other times this week....

Mr. Sandman
09-02-2006, 02:00 PM
I know you guys may like those mambos types but they are cheaply made plugs. I can't do it. That photo of the tail hook with ligher vmc straighted hook is a classic. Those stamina plug bodies you buy by the 100 or 1000 tells the story, bulk junk.

How many hours do you spend fishing per year? Can you afford not to fish with better quality?

I like thru wired plugs. I don't care for a brass eyelet cast in a plastic body unless I am fishing 10# test. If you are fishing 60#braid with triple rings and ower stingers or 6X VMC's...what do you think is going to give...the plastic. Bass will break that plug on a scrub-off with ease (that is why they eat it...they are just playing with you) :)

kick it up a notch...buy a real plug.

Slingah
09-02-2006, 03:57 PM
I know you guys may like those mambos types but they are cheaply made plugs. I can't do it. That photo of the tail hook with ligher vmc straighted hook is a classic. Those stamina plug bodies you buy by the 100 or 1000 tells the story, bulk junk.

How many hours do you spend fishing per year? Can you afford not to fish with better quality?

I like thru wired plugs. I don't care for a brass eyelet cast in a plastic body unless I am fishing 10# test. If you are fishing 60#braid with triple rings and ower stingers or 6X VMC's...what do you think is going to give...the plastic. Bass will break that plug on a scrub-off with ease (that is why they eat it...they are just playing with you) :)

kick it up a notch...buy a real plug.

I hear ya Sandman...I am changing my thinking on the plastic plugs a bit.....time to start tossing bigger wood
that is the first one that broke for me with ....but not the first straightened hook though..........