View Full Version : Whale in the Ditch Today....

STEVE IN MASS
05-17-2002, 11:40 AM
Was somewhat east of the herring run this AM....A whale (heard it may have been a right whale) surfaced in the middle of the canal RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME....it was beyond awesome.....everyone just stopped fishing and stood there in amazement.....

Made it worth the trip.....:)

fishsmith
05-17-2002, 11:50 AM
Always a chance to see something different, just another reason why I love to go fishing.

Spare Spool
05-17-2002, 12:12 PM
That's cool. Isn't it the second one spotted this in the canal? Is that very unusual?

STEVE IN MASS
05-17-2002, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I think I read that there was one there (maybe the same one) a few weeks ago....andd they had closed down the canal to boats....

It was strange, cause about 45 minutes before I saw it, I saw what I thought was a big striper surfacing in the middle of the canal about 400 yards to the east of me....a few gulls came down, and then for about two or three minutes, I saw what looked like tail splashes on the surface. (Of course, I was saying "Come to me, baby!")

Awhile later, the canal patrol boat was coming from the west, and there was a gut with binoculars talking to another fisherman, pointing towards the west.....

I heard the canal patrol boat say over his loudspeaker "Environmental Police"....than looked east and saw the EP boat coming from that way....just then, the whale surfaced to the right of me, between the two boats (they were maybe a 1/4 mile from each other) again right in front of me, and a few more times over to the east......the boats followed him east, stopped there for a few minutes. One guy stood there and reeled in his herring "I don't wanna get spooled!"

There were some people up on the path with camera's and binoculars, following it down the canal.....I heard some woman say "Right Whale?".....It got within a 1/4 mile of the Sagamore bridge, and disappeared.....

Saltheart
05-17-2002, 02:24 PM
Cool. wish I had been there! :)

JohnR
05-17-2002, 02:26 PM
Reminds me of when someone said they saw the Giant Bluefin making bass jump in the air - who was that, J Powers? Back in the WMI days?

Scotch Bonnet
05-17-2002, 02:31 PM
What a cool site, eh. I saw one off Narragansett pier a few years back. It kept going up the west passage.

bloocrab
05-17-2002, 06:24 PM
....Steve, what about a fishing report ....did you see many Bass landed ???......and if you did...what was the fish vs. fisherman/woman odds......1 fish per every ???...fisherperson.......

.....Thanks ;)........unless of course you were just watching the bunnies on their rollerblades.....:eek: :happy: ;)

STEVE IN MASS
05-18-2002, 11:25 AM
No bunnies yeaterday, Bloo, it had just stopped raining when I got there....at the run(actually somewhat east of there, past the end of the parking lot), I saw one small fish caught and released.

Maybe fifity -sixty guys there, most of them right near the run, but I was aways away, so it was hard to tell exactly how many were there.

At thr RR bridge, I saw one guy leaving (out of three there) with a fish.