View Full Version : Stupid Question bout props.

Rob Rockcrawler
08-14-2006, 04:45 AM
I need a new prop for a 30 hp 95 mercury, found some good prices online but dont know which one to order. Will any prop that fits a 95 merc 30 fit. The boat is a 16.5 deep V aluminum, its pretty heavy and mostly used for lake fishing, speed really isnt a factor. What kind of pitch should i look for. Most importantly where do i find the model number on the motor itself, the manual was of no help. I appreciate any help, with the spun hub its been a slow summer crusing the lake.

MTC
08-14-2006, 05:30 AM
It would be good to find the pitch of the prop that was on it, Was it aluminum or SS? Michigan Wheel has the Appollo series that you order a hub for your motor and the wheel drops on the hub. They come in SS or aluminum.

BigBo
08-14-2006, 05:46 AM
Pull the old prop off the motor. The diameter and pitch should be stamped on it somewhere around the hub. Either on the front or back. You should see a XX x XX number. ie; 13x17 or 13 1/2x17. Could be any combination of numbers for that motor within a manufacturers specification range. The first number will be the prop diameter. The second number will be the pitch.

MrHunters
08-14-2006, 06:54 AM
is the motor going on the same boat?
since its a 30hp, it makes it a little simpler.

A bigger prop pitch will pop you out of the water faster and lose some RPM's while a smaller one will give you a higher WOT aslo giving you higher RPMS.. If you have a service manual handy it might help..I don't know if its the same for all motors but you figure a 500-600 rpm difference with each prop up or down grade.

FYI, not a stupid question... I just went through a whole prop ordeal. some people find, finding the right prop as an art form. :)

Rob Rockcrawler
08-14-2006, 04:12 PM
thanks for the help guys, im gunna check the numbers on the prop, if they are on there. I got a few numbers from under the cowling. It definatly isnt a performance boat, i can hit 27 mph, one person, empty livewell.