View Full Version : need some spinning reel opinions...........

bobber
08-14-2006, 05:46 AM
I'm thinking of changing to s smaller reel for my surf use- currently I have an Emblem Pro 5000, and I'm considering a Stradic 6000 or Quantum Cabo 50. anybody have any experience with either of these reels?? any input is appreciated..... thanks- Bob

Mike P
08-14-2006, 08:24 AM
At +/- $150 with an equal quality spare spool, and still manufactured in Japan, I think the Stradic is the biggest bang for your buck today, now that Penn has discontinued the 7-- Spinfishers.

I used to avoid anything Quantum (think Zebco) like the plague. But, they've made great strides in quality in the last 3-4 years, and I hear a lot of good things about the Cabo series.

nightprowler
08-14-2006, 10:33 AM
I used to avoid anything Quantum (think Zebco) like the plague. But, they've made great strides in quality in the last 3-4 years, and I hear a lot of good things about the Cabo series.

I have a Cabo 50 and 60, and have been fishing them for the last 2 seasons. I like the way the reel fishes and i love the drag....I have had issues with the durability of the reel however. They don't really handle getting wet in the surf. I bought my first 60 2 seasons ago in june, and by the end of october had sent it back twice due to the anti-reverse failing. Both times they sent me a brand new reel within about 2 weeks. Over the winter I sent it back again due to falty flipping of the bail,and the "unbendable" titanium bail being misshapen (a few nice falls on the rocks will do that:wall:) and they replaced the reel again. I bought a lighter set-up at the beg of this season and went with the 50, and loved the set-up until i got into a school of 12 lb blues and had the drag bust on me on a nice run by one of the choppers. I sent the reel back and had a new one with in a week.
Overall, I think the reel is silky smooth and the drag is awesome. The handle turns a little fast for eels and large plugs, and the durability issues got to me. I was sick of tearing the reel down and regreasing once-twice a week. If I were not fishing nightly fromthe surf with the reel constantly underwater or a boat fishermen I would have all of my outfits set-up with the Cabo.
I got a VS (thanks to slip):btu: and after repairs i love it. It has been more, and better :lm: :love: then i ever imagined it would. My girlfriend refers to it as my baby.

newbie14
08-14-2006, 10:40 AM
Can't help you on those, but if you would consider a shimano, will be happy to give you some help on them.

In The Surf
08-14-2006, 11:02 AM
I'd suggest posting in the classifieds section and checking the auction site for a Penn 710z. Many of them around and it seems I see them available almost weekly.

american spirit
08-14-2006, 01:06 PM
have you explored the shimano spheros 6000. great reel, great price. i think it's more durable in the surf than the stradic.

i own the 8000 and the 6000. first season with them. they've handled great. previous penn slammer owner.

fishaholic18
08-14-2006, 01:19 PM
have you explored the shimano spheros 6000. great reel, great price. i think it's more durable in the surf than the stradic.

Yes, I'll confirm that.

reelecstasy
08-14-2006, 02:06 PM
I have had 0 problems with all my Stradics, I do rinse and lube them but I do not baby them when i fish. Smooth as buttah and the price is reasonable imho :btu: good luck

wheresmy50
08-14-2006, 02:48 PM
Just a comment on size. The 8000 Spheros has the same frame as the 6000, so for the same weight, you get more line. The overall reel is the same size. I think the Stradics are the same.

reelecstasy
08-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Just a comment on size. The 8000 Spheros has the same frame as the 6000, so for the same weight, you get more line. The overall reel is the same size. I think the Stradics are the same.
:uhuh:

Little Round
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Cabo:btu:

basswipe
08-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Spheros is the way to go.No spare spool but its much more durable than a Stradic.Can't comment on the Cabo but I've been tempted more than once.You also may want to consider a Shimano Sustain if you have 3bills to drop on a reel. Even smoother than a Stradic and it has a waterproof drag no spare spool though.No Shimano reels with the waterproof drag come with one.