View Full Version : Anyone else having a crab grass problem?

tattoobob
08-14-2006, 11:00 PM
For the last week I have been pulling up crab grass and other weeks that is taking over my lawn I have 2 32 gallon trash barrels full and I haven't even made a dent, I used Scotts crab grass haults in the spring. Who else is having a problem?

gone fishin
08-14-2006, 11:11 PM
ME:bounce:

UserRemoved1
08-15-2006, 04:24 AM
crab grass? hehe the WHOLE lawn.

my days of a scott's lawn are well OVER.

looks nice and green this year i should send Scott's a picture :D

Raven
08-15-2006, 06:16 AM
clover improves a lawn...

it makes these tiny little root nodules
that take atmospheric nitrogen right out
of the air...like mini taters that eventually
break down adding nitrogen to the lawn.

the best fertilizer is your fall leaves ground up
with a mulching mower (to confetti size)
..never rake them
(except when your about to mulch them all)
thats a huge mistake! let the worms eat them instead !

my healthiest patches of lawn is where i dump
the leftover (half eaten) cage bird seed....

my other rule...is
never mow the lawn unless its gonna rain.

BassyiusMaximus
08-15-2006, 10:02 AM
I've got a crabgrass invasion going on myself. I don't fertilize and I only cut the grass when it goes to seed, which is now, but I have heard that a healthy lawn is one that has a little bit of everything in it, not a homogenous/all one type of grass, like a golf course. I'll probably give it some fertilizer in the fall, like a winter feeding type and be done with it. My neighbors probably hate me but I just can't spend the $$$ on a lawn only to spend more to cut it, plus it doesn't look all that bad since I have lilies and all kinds of pretty plants and shrubs and trees to divert the eyes.

Swimmer
08-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Go to LESCO and buy a pint of Acclaim. It will cost you about $100.00. Expensive maybe but when you figure how much or how many bags of step 3, 15,000 sq. feet bags you might put down at $50.00 a bag Acclaim will be cheap by comparison. Once you get the acclaim put it on at a rate of 3/4 of an ounze to a gallon. OH BY THE WAY THE REASON IT COST WHAT IT DOES IS BECAUSE CRABGRASS IS THE ONLY THING IT KILLS. You can spray it on anything and it wont do anything to it. I guarantee that within a week of spraying on your crebgrass it will be brown and/or black. You can use 1 ounze to a gallon and it will die quicker but the pint wont last as long. All you have to do is walk up to plant with sprayer and wet the weed. I usually do a quick little circle around it to kill and seeds that have already come off the crabgrass and is preparing to sprout also. You may have more than one generation of crabgrass seed in the lawn so it might be prudent to be vigilant for two seasons with the acclaim. You can ask my brother Squid Kids Dad if my lawn has any crabgrass and he'll tell I don't. I will back what I say about this to my death thats how sure I am of this product. Don't spray on weed when wet in the morning. Wait until dew drys. Don't water the same day. Although after a couple of hours it doesn't matter but why waste the money you spend on the acclaim. I have a two gallon ace sprayer with acclaim mixed and ready to go next to my deck. I got this from a high end landscaper and its the best advice on lawn care i ever received.

Jenn
08-15-2006, 05:26 PM
it it werent for the crabgrass I wouldnt HAVE a lawn!!!

but I dont dump all that crap (herbicides, pesticides, fertilizer) on it either. I would rather have crabgrass than a yard full of chemicals.:hs: ...its doesnt just "go away" its in the soil for a long time....

macojoe
08-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Hell if not for crab grass I have none at all!!

Island Girl
08-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Due to the unusual amount of rain that we have recieved this summer Crabgrass is becomeing a problem for alot of people..... I reccomend using a chemical called drive.....or you can use plain extra or daconate #6.... You can typically get them at your local seed store (not usually home depot or anything)

Grand Wave
08-16-2006, 09:50 PM
I have had excellent results using a product called " Crossbow ". It will kill crabgrass along with other weeds but will not harm any real grass in your lawn. Available at most farm supply stores..

seabass
08-17-2006, 05:14 PM
I love crabgrass, stays short, survives draughts, needs no fertilizer, what's the problem? less lawn time= more fish time.

NIB
08-17-2006, 07:46 PM
Slip has no crabgrass problem his lawn is fully covered with the stuff.
:D
Folks,Fisherman especially should give some thought to the chemicals they spray on their lawns.

Slipknot
08-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Slip has no crabgrass problem his lawn is fully covered with the stuff.
:D
Folks,Fisherman especially should give some thought to the chemicals they spray on their lawns.

you are absolutely correct NIB, I have no problem with crabgrass at all, just like seabass said too. I love how it stays short and low to the ground :D I don't golf so I hate maintaining lawn. My brother golfs and he is a lawn nazi.

MrHunters
08-17-2006, 09:04 PM
my landlord would not have it. nor will he have a leaf on his lawn...

i got a not the other day that my car was parked off center and would i please straighten it. yes...unfortunatly that is true.

chris L
08-18-2006, 07:52 AM
hey it will all die off soon enough . if it wasnt for the crusty crab Id be like spongebob !

most of my lawn is pea gravel , dogwoods and miscanthus (sp) and lobster pot bouys

NIB
08-18-2006, 08:18 AM
you are absolutely correct NIB, I have no problem with crabgrass at all, just like seabass said too. I love how it stays short and low to the ground :D I don't golf so I hate maintaining lawn. My brother golfs and he is a lawn nazi.

If I hadda cut grass i would put down plastic an cover it in rocks.

Back Beach
08-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Due to the unusual amount of rain that we have recieved this summer Crabgrass is becomeing a problem for alot of people..... I reccomend using a chemical called drive.....or you can use plain extra or daconate #6.... You can typically get them at your local seed store (not usually home depot or anything)

Good advice IG. I manage a private 18 hole golf club, and can attest that drive is a great product. The problem for anyone reading this is that any post emergent crabgrass product requires that you apply it evenly with some type of spray application device. This means that if you attempt to do the application yourself, you had better be experienced with the process and equipment needed, or you may find yourself with a dead lawn. Someone suggested acclaim, which is pricey and works only so-so on established crabgrass. It does, however, work well if you have only a few isolated spots of crabgrass. I would not attempt to use it on a lawn that is overrun with crabgrass. Acclaim is certain to damage your lawn if mishandled. Layman's tip: Let the frost kill off the crabgrass this fall, and make preventive applications to your lawn in the spring 30 days apart. Once around the third week in april, and again around the third week in may. You should also maintain an adequate fertility level as this will help your lawn fill in and compete against the crabgrass intrusion. This is your safest bet if you lack the expereince or do not want to hire a professional company to do it for you.

tattoobob
08-18-2006, 09:40 AM
I think what happened is I put the Scotts Crab Grass Haults on right before we got about 6 inches of rain and we had all that flooding last spring, so it never had time to do it's job, I had some trees removed last year in the spring, and I was so busy fishing the herring run and rocks that I hired my friend to fix the lawn after the stumps were removed, little did I know is he relasped on heroin and took me for a ride,(that's another story) the loam he put down was loaded with seeds from every weed you could think of, and he never finished. so after I finished the job then pulled every weed up I got grass to grow in the fall. I guess it was just the seeds left over from last year.
Never ever let a friend or family do work on you house or land, It never works out.

zacs
08-18-2006, 09:58 AM
Never ever let a friend or family do work on you house or land, It never works out.

A'int that the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

striperman36
08-20-2006, 12:56 PM
I live in Mansfield MA, Where can I get Acclaim?
I have looked and the lesco site and can't get a store returned from the search.

Bill