View Full Version : under water snakes

Goose
05-18-2002, 10:00 AM
I'm just startin to get my feet wet..... so to speak, on catchin my own eels. I've tryed on river egdes 4 to 7 ft of water with no luck. At 20$ a pot, I 'm thinkin a little deeper so my pots don't grow legs.....I wondering if you'll catch'um in fresh water.....the ones I've heard of in fresh water are a little on the big side for me ! Also, I've been using cut bait or hoarse shoe crabs when I can get them........

What do I do? Where do I throw? I don't wanna know your honey hoe! I'm just tired of payin a buck 25 or so...... By the way I've tryed rubba.....ya just don't get the same feeling !:blush:

nor-easter
05-18-2002, 10:55 AM
Goose, I don't know where you are located but I know Fairhaven-New Bedford Harbor and would be glad to make suggestions for that area. (privately)

saltydawg
05-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Goose where did you get the eel trap. I can't find them in CT. If you use a minnow trap the eels can and will get back out.

Got Stripers
05-18-2002, 04:17 PM
I used to make my own out of heavy galvanized mesh wire I'd pick up at the local Ace Hardware. Not exactly a fun job, since you have to cut the circle shapes for the end funnels, then cut one side out of all the outside boxes in the mesh so you could turn over the taps to lock everything together. Basically one tube locked together, then the two end funnels sized and set inside the tube ends, again locked together, then an access door for baiting and removing the eels. I don't know what size the mesh was, probably close to 3/8 inch I'd think. You could make them as big or small as you wanted and they were far more durable than the purchase minnow traps. I used to set them at a marine up inside the north river. My biggest haul out of one trap one morning was 18 big fat snakes. I used to hit the local fish markets and grab their fish carcasses for bait.

Fishpart
05-20-2002, 06:17 AM
Caught an eel at the base of the dam at the Scituate (RI) reservoir when trout fishing, so yes you can catch them in fresh water. I believe the live in the fresh water and go to the salt to spawn.

I've thought about trying to catch some in one of my local ponds, another thing to put on the to do list...........