View Full Version : Wiggle or the Wake ?

Tagger
08-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Fishing at night what works for you . I personally have the most confidence in a needle (wake) as opposed to a swimmer (wiggle). I know alot of guys are fishing swimmers on top so slow I wonder if they are fishing the wake more than the wiggle . I also know there are no hard ,fast rules in fishing and any plug can shine any given night .. this is just in general ..
What got me thinking about this was a Stan Kuzia remark about the ditch . Stan told me "In the ditch it's the bounce not the wiggle" old guys talk in riddles ,but after thinking about it, it made sense.. Stan a great jigg maker bounces the bottom with lead . or Stan Gibbs plugs that shine in the canal ,,,Pencil Popper ,,Polaris... again the bounce .. Just been thinking about all the succes with needles the fish are keying on the wake . maybe .. i vote wake anyway .

Backbeach Jake
08-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I voted wiggle, but what I really want is a slither. Wide, slow "S" shaped path just under the surface. Kinda like that Darter you gave me. Makes a plug look like it's cruisin' for trouble.

BigFish
08-15-2006, 04:39 PM
I do well with my jointed eels as opposed to needles...last Fall I was fishing both a few nights and they would not leave the wiggle, or "slither" as BBJ says, alone!:heybaby:

Jigman
08-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Both :bl: I mostly use swimmers at night. They gots the wiggle (or wobble) and wake. Not much of a needle user, probably cause the bait down here is not real thin like a needle and wiggles when it swims. Though I have been known to wake a spook, but sometimes add a little wiggle to it ;) Something I need to try in Rhody this year.

Jigman

Skitterpop
08-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I voted wiggle, but what I really want is a slither. Wide, slow "S" shaped path just under the surface. Kinda like that Darter you gave me. Makes a plug look like it's cruisin' for trouble.

Too sexy too sexy :heybaby:

numbskull
08-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Daytime wiggle, nighttime wake. I think?

capesams
08-15-2006, 06:29 PM
if you ever get the chance to go offshore on a glass flat day and just drift along watching,nothing else, and see the 7-8" sandeel's on the surface just going for a sunday stroll...they float...then give alittle ~ to move abit an when that happens , their head hit's the surface and you get your v wake,,I call it the snake an wake move.

justplugit
08-15-2006, 07:31 PM
CS wisdom, i like it. :btu:

NIB
08-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Thats a tough one to answer as i fish needles differently from lots of folks I guess.Of course there is the standard way of picking the right weight for the appropriate water an slow waking em on top.
Sometimes I just let em sink to the bottom an crawl em taking a LONG time to retrive the plug.Sandeels spend lots of time in the sand big fish like it down there also.I may just drag it on the bottom.an leave it there.The other reason i use em is to get em way out there to reach spots i might not be able to reach with a swimmer.If I am fishin a boulder field with lots of fishy spots in close with hangup style bottom I will go to the swimmer.So I can probe all the area's more thoughly that i might not be able to fish with the needle.They are both tools.u hold it an I'll hit it:D It's like asking me to decide wether i like Ice cream or cake.
The answer is both of course.

Karl F
08-15-2006, 09:23 PM
Sometimes I just let em sink to the bottom an crawl em taking a LONG time to retrive the plug.Sandeels spend lots of time in the sand big fish like it down there also.I may just drag it on the bottom.an leave it there.The other reason i use em is to get em way out there to reach spots i might not be able to reach with a swimmer..

:D
As I was taught how....

NIB
08-15-2006, 09:28 PM
As I was taught how....

I knew u would chime in on that.
I have a OSC sticker.
Proud member.Since 2003.

Karl F
08-15-2006, 09:36 PM
couple a thoughts.. the beauty of the needle is the many ways it can be retrieved, and weighted to perform as needed..some are lighter and fish like a stick bait, some v-wake up top, some can even walk the dog and pop, some suspend, which is great ... change up the retrieve, altho I prefer slow & low.. love that hit , when dragging the bottom, painfully slow.. pull the rod out of your hand, if ya ain't ready.. don't know why, but they hit harder when bottom draggin..
that's prolly why I love it.
beauty is, there is no wrong, or right way to fish them, or weight them.. each is use specific... one guy wants me to build him one nose heavy, no tail weight....I know right off what he wants it to do.....(think burrowing sand eel)

Flaptail
08-15-2006, 09:44 PM
All good answers. Right now I am in V-wake mania. Come Septober and into Nocember give me wiggle and wake!:wave:

NIB
08-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Doesn't Octember fall between Septober an Nocember.

Tagger
08-16-2006, 03:59 AM
altho I prefer slow & low..
like that one Karl .. Me too, where bottom permits ,I make them so they get down and get in there face .. should have been more specific .. Thinking a boulder field .

capesams
08-16-2006, 06:33 AM
Thinking a boulder field .

try taking a shell casing of propper size..pop the primer out...slide casing over the nose of needle...wire[nose loop] through primer hole..now you have a nose protector an weighted needle for those stone fields.

Skitterpop
08-16-2006, 12:27 PM
Snaky waky :tm:

Tagger
08-16-2006, 04:47 PM
try taking a shell casing of propper size..pop the primer out...slide casing over the nose of needle...wire[nose loop] through primer hole..now you have a nose protector an weighted needle for those stone fields.

You junk yard dog door slammer ... like your recycling spirit ... save the earth ..

Slipknot
08-16-2006, 04:53 PM
I like them both and I'm sure the fish will decide which one they want at the time.
I've seen sandeels doing the snake n wake

fish are starting to feed more and more, fall is coming soon

Slipknot
08-16-2006, 04:54 PM
I have a OSC sticker.
Proud member.Since 2003.

:kewl:

Backbeach Jake
08-16-2006, 05:48 PM
:btu: :kewl:
:btu: