View Full Version : New release from Heddon and Creek Chub

mikecc
08-16-2006, 08:59 PM
You guys were talking about these earlier this year. I believe I am the first shop in the northeast to get them in so here they are.

Creek Chub has Reintroduced the 11” long and 3 7/8 oz. WOODEN Jointed Pike
8” Long 3 3/8 oz WOODEN Pike.
And Heddon with the Super WOODEN Magnum Zara Spook 8” long and 3 5/8 oz.
And the WOODEN Magnum Zara Spook 7” long and 2.5 oz

All plugs are made from WOOD & feature Heavy Duty Through wire construction and Mustad 3X hooks

http://www.capecodtackle.com/Merchant/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=cct01&Category_Code=NP

wheresmy50
08-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Mike - I just placed an order, but is there any way to get on a waiting list for the jointed blurple? If so, please put me down for 2.

-Ty

vineyardblues
08-17-2006, 01:16 PM
WOW,
What a nice surprise :call:

Thanks for the info Mike
VB

Skitterpop
08-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Nice! Now if I can live to 156 years old I can have CC collectibles :devil2:

They look sweet :drool:

Flaptail
08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Got mine today heheheheheh! Built like brick sheethouses! And I really dig the single belly treble. They won't ever be worth that much collectible wise so I bought mine to fish with.

Finaddict
08-17-2006, 10:31 PM
It looks like Tattoo's, Afterhours, Surf Asylum and the other guys on this site who make wooden spook style plugs, made a big impression on those cats at Pradco -- owners of Heddon and Creek Chub lures -- who were making everything out of plastic, and now are building wooden plugs, it's not likely that a company like that would invest the money to produce wooden plugs that cost $15-$18 retail, unless the market was there to support it. But have to believe they don't fare to our friends on this site who make the nice wooden spooks.

CANAL RAT
08-18-2006, 08:12 AM
WOW thats pretty sick!!

NIB
08-18-2006, 08:29 AM
It looks like Tattoo's, Afterhours, Surf Asylum and the other guys on this site who make wooden spook style plugs, made a big impression on those cats at Pradco -- owners of Heddon and Creek Chub lures -- who were making everything out of plastic, and now are building wooden plugs, it's not likely that a company like that would invest the money to produce wooden plugs that cost $15-$18 retail, unless the market was there to support it. But have to believe they don't fare to our friends on this site who make the nice wooden spooks.

I also support all the sponsers of this site but in all fairness.It's my belief The Folks at CC, (even though they have been bought an sold a few times since the wooden lure designs) don't have to answer to anybody.Probably handcrafted oversea's like the Stezko's to keep the cost's down..What's it say on the package made in phillipines?
So do I buy a wooden CC made abroad?
Or do i Buy a wooden lure from a guy I know for 4 dollars more?
Well thats pretty simple.
Well I may buy one or 2 CC's but the bulk of my doe goes to those I know.
There's gotta be some good fish Karma in that also.:D

Flaptail
08-18-2006, 09:01 AM
Just a reminder here and a little dose of reality. Creek Chub, in what ever re-incarnated state they are in today as a company, were the first to build Pikies, Darters, Poppers and spooks ( the Zaragosa was thier design not Heddon's originally) they were also the first company to use thru wiring techinques and invented the bent metal plate lip. In my opinion and no disrespect to local builders, but who owes who really in this situation?

If anybody has the rioght to build a wooden plug again if they wish it's them. They have the patents and marketing rights. All the local builders even the bigger builders such as Gibbs, Salty, Beachmaster, Habs and Tattoo owe something to CCBco as to technique and building methodology.

Yes they might have noticed the trend in small local builders and home builders but this is a reminder as well that they were here before and can still produce. ( The new ones by the way are "Fabrique au Chinoix" translate made in China)

capesams
08-18-2006, 10:02 AM
I'll buy a pike an split it up the middle to see what their made of, then take out the caliper's an compair it to the older one's...this should be fun.

I'll agree to flaps comment, but also on nib's..spend your money with the local's first if you can.

Flaptail
08-18-2006, 10:33 AM
I'll buy a pike an split it up the middle to see what their made of, then take out the caliper's an compair it to the older one's...this should be fun.

I'll agree to flaps comment, but also on nib's..spend your money with the local's first if you can.

Yes I can see it both ways as well. As to ripping one in half I got an easier way. I'll just have Numbskull x-ray the bastage!

Joe
08-18-2006, 11:37 AM
There are not too many jointeds out there to compete with so if they can make a jointed that retails that cheaply, then they'll win that niche.

It would be unrealistic to expect that a bigger competitor would not come to the marketplace. And don't underestimate how price-driven the market is - when it comes down to it, people usually opt for the better deal. Stetzco and Gibbs will be hardest hit because the quality is probably equal but the price is much better.

Redsoxticket
08-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Why is the front loop on the spooks slightly off centered ? The spooks that I have are centered.

Slipknot
08-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Why is the front loop on the spooks slightly off centered ? The spooks that I have are centered.

I assume so that it is more of a glider

capesams
08-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Yes I can see it both ways as well. As to ripping one in half I got an easier way. I'll just have Numbskull x-ray the bastage!

thats ok fa lead, but I want to see what kind of wood and if there's sealer of any kind.Once the paint is off..will it still float or turn into a jig.

PS. I'd just like to be understood that this product has no reflection on Mike or his shop or what he decides to carry.it's about another product that was made here and has now gone overseas.

Flaptail
08-18-2006, 04:17 PM
thats ok fa lead, but I want to see what kind of wood and if there's sealer of any kind.Once the paint is off..will it still float or turn into a jig.

PS. I'd just like to be understood that this product has no reflection on Mike or his shop or what he decides to carry.it's about another product that was made here and has now gone overseas.

Bamboo?:rotf3:

winchmaster
08-18-2006, 04:30 PM
Hmmm interesting, but will they work as good as the originals? How much of the design is the same as the originals. FRom just looking at them there are many differences than the originals.
In truth I think it's fantastic that they finally got the idea that there is a need for those big plugs. You can thank the backyard builders and the pikieholics for this move that took over thirty years. The price is not that bad if they really swim like the old ones. Not so sure if I agree with belly hook placement the rear hook almost looks to be a screw eye?
Mike have you tested one yet?
The color combo's are not my choices as the very best either.
How could you make a Giant pikie and not offer one in Pearl?

mikecc
08-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Have not tryed them yet but everyone that has seen them has bought them.They look great and definately a big improvment for overseas. Would I place them on the same scale as TATTOO. Hell no But there is a lot of guys that Can't and will not pay that much for a plug. I believe Tattoo, Habs, Beachmaster and others are well worth the money for the quality you are getting.
I also agree about supporting the locals but name a few guys who make these plugs that supply shops. It's Simple there is only a handfull of guys around and they can't supply the need. It's hard to say no bringing them in when we have sold more of these plugs in 2 days than we have sold of Gibbs in a month.:shocked:

Skitterpop
08-18-2006, 08:52 PM
mikecc :cheers: me likey how you thinky :usd:

NIB
08-18-2006, 10:39 PM
Have not tryed them yet but everyone that has seen them has bought them.They look great and definately a big improvment for overseas. Would I place them on the same scale as TATTOO. Hell no But there is a lot of guys that Can't and will not pay that much for a plug. I believe Tattoo, Habs, Beachmaster and others are well worth the money for the quality you are getting.
I also agree about supporting the locals but name a few guys who make these plugs that supply shops. It's Simple there is only a handfull of guys around and they can't supply the need. It's hard to say no bringing them in when we have sold more of these plugs in 2 days than we have sold of Gibbs in a month.:shocked:

Well it seems to me plugs usta be more resonably priced.Wasn't it only 2 yrs ago I could get a Gibbs danny for 12 dollars.Seems the demand has fueled the increase.Gibbs followed suit with the increase's but they are not in the same ballpark.Not even close.So a custom guy like Mike(Tattoo) sees a gibbs danny on the pin for 18 dollars so he figures he can get maybe 21 on the pin.Well He has the spro swivels the VMC hooks an custom paint an finishes.It's hard to argue with the value.I love plugs but i don't go an buy five or six at a time too much anymore.It's just too hard to do.CC could have something here with a step backwards well see how they go.Like winch said the hook placement looks strange especially for a Pikie.Nevermind a 8" pikie.could have a nose weight but tough to tell from a pic.Giant jointeds look cool.so do the spook types.it'd not surprising that they are selling well.There is always the stampede when something new comes out.I'm a wait till the smoke clears kinda guy.:D

lurch
08-19-2006, 05:06 PM
I was in the shop today and thos plugs are HUGE and the prices are pretty good for something that big.

capesams
08-19-2006, 06:05 PM
It's big so it's linked, not directly posted to the post.. So, clicky click.

CCB. innards

http://fairybot.com/uploader/uploaded/2/IMG_0498.jpg

numbskull
08-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Very interesting. I wonder how they wire it? Thanks for posting it.

capesams
08-19-2006, 06:25 PM
I do beleive the plug is in 3 parts--- main body is 2 halves, then the head is a plastic type slide on.

one thing I do know...we took it for a swim [before cutting] behind mike's shop off the bridge,,,and had schoolie's attacking it....little roll...nice wiggle.

likwid
08-19-2006, 06:31 PM
looks rather unsealed.

MAC
08-19-2006, 06:40 PM
that looks like a lot of work. The schoolies were funny wacking it. (they were about the same size as the plug) Wiggled nice and went down with a little tug. Can't go wrong at 15 bux.

capesams
08-19-2006, 07:17 PM
wood like's like a cross between balsa and white mahogany..but the coating on the plug is thick, hard..so it should last.

thefishingfreak
08-19-2006, 07:21 PM
whats that? a plastic helmet?

thefishingfreak
08-19-2006, 07:22 PM
Very interesting. I wonder how they wire it? Thanks for posting it.

2 pieces sandwich together?

Tagger
08-19-2006, 07:24 PM

I consider it sinful to cut plugs in half Steve. Thats a big no no in my book .. I also would enjoy some of NIB's money .. I hear that guys loaded . :happy:

Karl F
08-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Jimmy Hat on a Creek Chubby...

hmmm.. seen that type of wiring done on another asian produced plug.
Steve, any chance that is some type of composit wood?

Taggah, er, I mean...
"Bandsaw Ed" :hihi:.. when you swear offa slicing plugs ta look at the innards? ;)

NIB
08-19-2006, 09:01 PM
I also would enjoy some of NIB's money .. I hear that guys loaded . :happy:

Not sure what gave ya that impression.No wife No kids Low maintenance girlfriend.I have a couch that was given to me in 85 my coffe table is 30 yrs old That has tile on the top of it.I live very simply to say the least I spend some money on tackle ya it's my hobby.Like when i go on vaca.i go to the shops an look around spend some doe.Then I sleep in my van under a shade tree an shower in the sink at the DD. I scrape the electric bill money like everyone else.An bust my butt workin just me an me bro.tile like mad.I don't work I don't make money. I will be workin till I'm dead, Lets hope I make it.

Karl F
08-19-2006, 10:39 PM
CS, is it just my eyes, or is that plug not sealed?.. or does the "nose cone"... just hold all the moisture up front?.. that nose looks wet, clear through..:huh:

Tagger
08-20-2006, 08:13 AM
This %$%$%$%$ is starting to piss me off as I think about it so u better not bring it up again./
just goofing on ya Tony ... like you do me .. I'll walk on egg shells for now on ..

NIB
08-20-2006, 09:01 AM
just goofing on ya Tony ... like you do me .. I'll walk on egg shells for now on ..

Please don't walk on eggshells Buddy..
I live for the goofin....
Ya I'm loaded, Mostly wit doody.
U just hit a good spot on me.
Sorry i was a jerk.
I have lots of stuff.Ya thats tru.
I still fish the same basic things out of my bag.
I sure ain't no rockefella or kennedy.Not even one of them Lawngiland type's

Tagger
08-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Please don't walk on eggshells Buddy..
I live for the goofin....

thanks ,,,I feel better now . :buds:

capesams
08-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Jimmy Hat on a Creek Chubby...

hmmm.. seen that type of wiring done on another asian produced plug.
Steve, any chance that is some type of composit wood?

Taggah, er, I mean...
"Bandsaw Ed" :hihi:.. when you swear offa slicing plugs ta look at the innards? ;)

reel wood fa shore....went dump pickin an found table/chair leg's made of the same stuff....sucks water like a sponge .

Ake G
08-21-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm thinking it's going to be great to get an "off the shelf/pegboard" wood Pikie hopefully @ my local B&T when I think I need one.

Just wondering...Why don't more of the established plugmakers like Tattoo, Habs, Salty put these(or Cowboys) in their product lines? I understand as a sophmore-year garage plugbuilder that this is a more labor-intensive build and thereby not as cost-effective as a simple A-40 build.

Do Pikies/Cowboys just not fish as well up here in NE and are not popular? Or are the deep dannys and A-40's just as good?

NIB
08-21-2006, 08:41 AM
I'm thinking it's going to be great to get an "off the shelf/pegboard" wood Pikie hopefully @ my local B&T when I think I need one.

Just wondering...Why don't more of the established plugmakers like Tattoo, Habs, Salty put these(or Cowboys) in their product lines? I understand as a sophmore-year garage plugbuilder that this is a more labor-intensive build and thereby not as cost-effective as a simple A-40 build.

Do Pikies/Cowboys just not fish as well up here in NE and are not popular? Or are the deep dannys and A-40's just as good?

MAC makes a great Pikie I have done real well with one of his fatboys.
got one 34 lbs this yr on em before the blitz started.
Traditional,Pikies are similar to Tattoo's deep danny.any slope head for that matter. Any plug with a sloped head As per design should dig when pressure from the pull of a wave is imparted on it.Many other surface swimmers might "pop" out under this stress.I use the word traditional as A few yrs ago Mike Fixter an Dave Bassmaster Manzi started making em fatter.One that would stay on top an wiggle there butt's off under the same pressure.Good plug for situations.But not really the same "Plug" the CC people came up with.

capesams
08-21-2006, 11:10 AM
CS, is it just my eyes, or is that plug not sealed?.. or does the "nose cone"... just hold all the moisture up front?.. that nose looks wet, clear through..:huh:

after I cut , I washed the sawdust off..thats why the wet look..but when it begain to dry the grain swelled up big time.

MAC
08-21-2006, 04:25 PM
after I cut , I washed the sawdust off..thats why the wet look..but when it begain to dry the grain swelled up big time.

I don't think this will be a problem at all. The top coat is extremely thick and should stand up to some good abuse.