View Full Version : Thank you URI for charting striper hot spots!

Fish_Eye
08-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Here’s a really cool tool to identify some new hot spots to fish for stripers, fluke and tog.

It’s an interactive map of ALL the eelgrass beds in RI…maybe a few slipped by, but it’s very comprehensive. See for yourself – do you already fish one of these spots and it’s a consistent producer of fish? IMHO eelgrass is the most vital of all sub aquatic marine vegetation and it ALWAYS attracts a myriad of bait fish and the game fish that thrive on them.

Next time you’re looking to try a new spot out…why not head where the eelgrass is always greener.

http://www.edc.uri.edu/eelgrass/mapshome.html

likwid
08-17-2006, 07:11 AM
eelgrass beds.
channels through them.
splits in them.
holes in eelgrass.

RIROCKHOUND
08-17-2006, 07:30 AM
Dont forget to thank Save the Bay for trying to restore it too...
http://www.savebay.org/habitat_eelgrassrestoration.asp
I'm sure they need volunteers this weekend.

We've been working with them on some monitoring of the beds, and it is a work intensive deal for them, and mostly volunteer based!

Fish_Eye
08-17-2006, 08:21 AM
You're so right RI Rockhound, STB's efforts at reestablishing eelgrass beds has had a profound impact on the bay and really pays big dividends for the effort. If I didn't have a shoot scheduled I would be there and suggest that others consider offering a hand -- it's time well spent.

I also applaud their effort at restablishing fish runs...more bait, more bass.

BillyBlanks
08-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Wow thats a pretty sweet map! What do the symbols mean though? I couldnt find a legend......ie the triangles, red areas, stars. Pretty proud of the alma matter for putting something like that out. Just wish they did a little of that for Boston Harbor. Thanks for posting that one!

Fish_Eye
08-17-2006, 04:20 PM
If you go to the legend on the right side of the map and deselect the checked off boxes and then hit refresh map at the bottom of the page you'll then be able to select the specific info you're looking for.

Check out the historical distribution of eelgrass as shown in purple or plum color and then look at the current beds and beds in progress (red and yellow stars) and you'll then have some fishing spots worth visiting.

clambelly
08-17-2006, 04:48 PM
think bay scallops. sweet, delicious bay scallops.

eel grass = bay scallops..

mmmmmmmMMMmmm...bay scallops.

:cheers:

Striperhound
08-18-2006, 05:00 AM
Mike, is the stripers gone wild video in stores yet?