View Full Version : What I did on My Summer Vacation...

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 10:27 AM
Thought some of you guys might appreciate these.

Both me and My wife thought with the way the world is going right now that the kids should really learn what this country was built on and how. We took them to both Philadelphia and Washington DC so they could get a little history lesson on our Country.

We started in PA and at valley Forge

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 10:32 AM
and his troops slep over here

this is Washingtons HQ and this is where the troops slept

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 10:34 AM
One of the Demos at VF

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 10:38 AM
A lot of intense arguing went on in this building in the beginning

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Went to the Scouts Museum while we were out there. Interesting fact about Armstrong. since he was the leader of the mission he got to Choose the name of the Lunar Module. Since he was a huge believer in the scouting program and an Eagle scout himself he chose to name it Eagle.

Gerald Ford and Jimmy Stewart were also Eagle Scouts

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 10:47 AM
Checked out the Air and Space Museum.

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 10:51 AM
Very Impressive Museums in the area

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 10:59 AM

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:01 AM
by the way...This guy was "Da Man!"

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:06 AM
I was amazed at the size of the Capitol...Truly Impressive

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:08 AM
...and Bureau of Engraving and Printing. they print 640 million dollars a Day at this facility

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:13 AM
..And National Archives. Kinda wished the scaffolding wasn't there but another very impressive building

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:20 AM
The next few are the War Memorials....these really hit home and I think my Kids got it

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:25 AM
and the Korean War Memorial. I can't explain the feeling you got standing among the soldiers at the Korean War Memorial.

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:27 AM
And if you didn't get chills standing in front of this, You're not an American

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Finished the trip at Arlington National Cemetary. A memorial to The Crew of the Challenger and the Grave of Joe Louis.

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:36 AM
and the Changing of the Guard. The Guard is constantly patroling the tomb. 21 paces in one direction pause for 21 seconds and the 21 paces back. 24/7 365 Days a year.

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:38 AM
and the Eternal Flame.

MrHunters
08-17-2006, 11:38 AM
nice TDF.
I agree that you could probably spend weeks in the museums. and they are all free which is a nice bonus. we went last year and abe was being tended to so there was alot of scaffolding around him.

very cool. thanks for reminding me about our trip.

The Dad Fisherman
08-17-2006, 11:39 AM
That was it, I highly recommend a trip down to DC. We had a great time and i still think we could have used another Day or 2 to get it all in. Hope everyone enjoyed it.

STREETFIGHT
08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
very nice- we did philly a couple of years ago. this summer we took the kids west to see yellowstone and a bunch of the lewis & clark trail. washing d.c. is next on the must see list......

great way to spend part of the summer tdf...

HighTide
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
We went last year too and had a great time, we have to go back to see the rest of it. Spent just about a whole day in the Air & Space Museum esp. after I found all the WWII planes:bounce: We got stuck in the rain one evening at the Lincoln Memorial and didn't leave until after it was dark. As we were walking back, it was still kind of misty and my daughter says "Who are they?" I looked around and saw we were in the middle of the Korean War Memorial- wow.
We also took a ride up to Baltimore and saw the O's beat the yankees.

Lots of walking though

chris L
08-17-2006, 02:17 PM
TEACHER:
Good morning, class. Good morning, class. Class? Class!? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.
As you know your regular teacher Sister Rosetta Stone is on a small vacation. However she does send her love, at least fingerpaintings, and desk club she`s making. I am your substitute teacher, Sister Mary Elephant.
Class, attention. Attention, class! Class? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.
Young man, now give me that knife. (Knife hits wall) Thank you.
Now class, you all know who I am, so let`s find out who you are.
Class? Class!? SHUT UP!!!!!

CHONG:
Far out, man!

TEACHER:
Thank you.
Now class, Sister Rosetta has informed me that your assignment for the last two months has been to write an essay in titled How I Spent My Summer Vacation. Who would like to read theirs before the class?
Class? Class!? Cla-- SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.
Young man in the first row, stand up, state your name, and read your essay.

STUDENT:
Who me?

TEACHER:
Yes. Read your essay, please!

STUDENT:
Uh, I don`t have it finished yet.

TEACHER:
Well then, read what you have, young man!

STUDENT:
Okay. The first day on my vacation, what I did on my summer vacation, the first day on my vacation, I woke up. Then, I went downtown to a quiet job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The second day on my summer vacation, I woke up, then I went downtown to look for a job. Then I hung out in front of the drugstore. The third day on my summer vacation, I woke up...

TEACHER:
Now that`s fine, young man!

STUDENT :
...Then I went downtown to look for a job...

TEACHER:
Now that`s fine, young man!

STUDENT :
...Then I got a job, keeping people from here and out in front of the drugstore. The fourth day on my...

TEACHER:
Young man? Young man? Young man!? SHUT UP!!!!! Thank you.
Now class, I have a surprise for you! I`m going to read you some poems out of this lovely book of poetry. The sun kisses the morning skies. The birds kiss the butterflies. The dew kisses the morning grass. Class? Class!? Cla-- WAKE UP!!!!!

CHONG:
I gotta go to the can, man!

reelecstasy
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
very cool, my parents took me to the very same places as a kid. Really came to appreciate being an american....

f.y.i. cool little tidbit, I am related to Abe, no lie :cool:

tattoobob
08-17-2006, 02:37 PM
Funny thing is I have been to all those places twice, And never once wanted to bring my kids there, I really hate crowds, I am glad you all had a good time.

gone fishin
08-17-2006, 04:46 PM
TDF - you must have spent a month on the road. :boots: Thanks for sharing. Now go catch large to complete your summer!:humpty:

Flaptail
08-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Cool pics and nice trip. Did the same thing with my wife and kids in 03'. My brothers name is on the VietNam Memorial and I lost it there ( I do every time, it was such a waste) and the Holocaust Museum visit had the Anne Frank exhibit and my two daughters were her age when we visited they didn't talk for hours after that tour, everyone should see it. Not just for the persecution of the Jews and such but that it did happen and has happened again, when will we ever learn?

Skitterpop
08-17-2006, 08:02 PM
Very nice Dad .....thank you! :thanks:

Great post!

Katie
08-18-2006, 06:39 AM
wow, nice pics.. i've never been, but those pics are worth a 1000 words each. :)