View Full Version : Touch Up

In The Surf
08-17-2006, 02:37 PM
I've got a bunch of plugs that have rock rash. Some have chips fixed with wood filler, some just have the paint and clear or sealer worn off and some a little chewed up from the toothy ones. Where and what kind of clear or sealer can I get and use (something in a spray can). Someone told me a while ago to use a clear epoxy from a spray can but I can't seem to find this stuff anywhere.

jomlt9@AOL.COM
08-17-2006, 03:07 PM
battle scars the fish don't care about what a plug looks like if ur talking about envirotex in a can they sell it at ac moore or a craft store never used it but it does come in a spray can

Tagger
08-17-2006, 03:32 PM
finish the season with them ,,,,torch them to remove all finish ,,re-seal...re-paint...Last year I needed more blue/white needles at the end of the season ...I just scuffed up pink,,white ,,ones ...spray painted over and re-epoxied .. I left hooks on just taped over.. painted over eyes too .. Real Hack !!! just needed them for another couple of weeks and they were for me ... they caught fish .

NIB
08-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Scuff em lightly with a nylon pad.get some Helmsmans Spar urethane in a spray can. Tape off the lip an the swivels.give em a few light coats.this should stick an hopefully will hold em together for a while.

Charleston
08-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Put a small piece of a drinking straw over the swivels and you don't have to remove the wire, on plugs without a lip.

In The Surf
08-17-2006, 10:08 PM
Thanks guys. I'm not a builder, at least not yet. Just need to do some patchwork touch up repairs. I not worried about the looks, want to seal em, because of the wood filler patching dings, missing chunks and cracks on some and alot of exposed wood on others. I know from past experience on some with exposed wood that the action changed/died/sucked after being in the water a short period. Water logged I assumed. They're decent plugs with lots of catching still left in em'. Needed a clear to seal em' and keep em' catching.
Thanks again!

Charleston
08-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Please be aware that the clear coat does not seal the plug. You need to submerse the bare plugs in the sealer so the inside surfaces are sealed.
The clear coat gives you some degree of pait protection but does not prevent the plug from absorbing water.

NIB
08-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Just do like i told ya an they will be fine.I know the value of extending the life of a good plug.Kinda like hitting with the paddles.
CLEAR....

In The Surf
08-19-2006, 12:24 AM
Thanks Tony, that's what I was planning on doing.
Got a couple of tattoo swimmmers, hab's pencils and needles, surf howdy or two and a surf asylum lipless swimmer to rejuvinate. Got plenty of more plugs but the way I see it these plugs have good mojo and caught some good fish and will continue to do so. this will keep em' in service till I lose em'. I still rotate in others but there's something about plugs that keep catching. Time to head out and throw an eel skin plug.

Charleston
08-19-2006, 03:53 PM
If you care enough about the plugs to want to refurbish them, what not go all the way?
The clearcoat spray is fine but seal them first! Yes it's a PITA but like I said.....do it right!