View Full Version : Request for Seal Study Made

Karl F
08-18-2006, 11:27 AM
From the Cape Cod Chronicle:

Selectmen To Sign Letter Urging Seal Population Study

by Alan Pollock

CHATHAM — At the request of surfer and commercial fisherman Paul Bremser, the board of selectmen Tuesday voted to send a letter to Senator Edward Kennedy urging a federal study of the seal population off Chatham. Bremser told selectmen he was giving a surfing lesson to a 15-year-old boy when he saw a great white shark eat a seal off South Beach on July 18.

Bremser told the board he is working with John Chisholm of the state’s Division of Marine Fisheries, and hopes to locate and tag sharks. His ultimate goal, he said, was to challenge the federal Marine Mammals Protection Act.

“I’m trying to do the impossible, namely to have Congress review the act and encourage more study,” he said.

The letter said local fishermen, boaters and beachgoers have seen the seal population rapidly expand, and questions whether the increased numbers of seals are responsible for the decline in river herring and commercially important inshore fish.

Bremser said he has been researching the local seal population, “and there’s not a whole lot of data.” But as an inshore commercial fisherman, “every scrod that I cut open to bring home to my family to eat is full of worms,” he said. The worms are parasites spread by seal feces, Bremser said. “Our fish are basically unmarketable,” he said.

Bremser drafted the letter with help from Tom Rudolph, research director with the Cape Cod Commercial Hook Fishermen’s Association. The seal issue is “something that’s been on our radar screen for awhile,” Rudolph told the board. Rudolph said there are “major data gaps” in the information about seals and the parasitic worms showing up in local fish.

Rudolph said the Marine Mammal Protection Act, which protects gray seals, lacks scientific vision. The act encourages seal population growth, but “there’s really no sort of rebuilding targets,” like the kind seen with commercial fish stocks, he said. The letter creates the opportunity for dialogue about seals, Rudolph said.

Less than a half hour after first seeing the document, the board of selectmen Tuesday voted 4-1 to send Bremser’s letter. Selectman Debbie Connors said the local commercial fishing fleet has long seen the seals as harmful.

“I’ve heard this from a lot of people out there,” she said. The letter is a good idea, and shows that seals are not just “cute fuzzy little creatures.” Selectman Ronald Bergstrom agreed, but asked whether it is fruitful to study seal populations.

“What practical steps can be taken based on the knowledge that will be gained?” he asked. Rudolph replied that it is too soon to know, but that a good starting point is to count the seals.

Selectman Sean Summers said he has also heard complaints about the seals, and as a regular boater around North Beach, knows “it’s not a nice smell out there.”

The lone voice against sending the letter was Chairman David Whitcomb.

“I need a little more time to read these things before I put my signature to it,” he said.

Several experts, interviewed by The Chronicle before and after Tuesday’s meeting gave information that appeared to contradict some of Bremser’s statements.

Noted shark researcher Greg Skomal of the state’s Division of Marine Fisheries, who identified himself as John Chisholm’s supervisor, said he was interested to hear about Bremser’s reported shark sighting and is aware of his plans to try to attract and photograph sharks, “but that’s his own effort,” Skomal said.

“We have no formal working relationship. Paul reported a white shark incident,” he said.

Skomal also challenged Bremser’s assertion that good population figures are unavailable for gray seals around Chatham. Dr. Gordon Waring of NOAA Fisheries has been tracking seals for decades, he said.

“This is the responsibility of the National Marine Fisheries Service and they’ve been tending to it for many years,” Skomal said. Waring could not be reached for comment for this article.

Tony LaCasse, spokesman for the New England Aquarium, said numbers of gray seals in the North Atlantic have risen steadily under federal protection, particularly since the 1960s when regulators offered a bounty on seals. Locally, fishermen were offered $2 for each seal nose they produced. By the 1970s, seals “were essentially absent from the Massachusetts and the Cape Cod coasts,” LaCasse said.

The New England Aquarium recently held a photo op at Hardings Beach to release a seal it had rehabilitated.

To appreciate the economic impacts of seals around Chatham, LaCasse said people should also consider the burgeoning seal watch business.

“I’m sure that, as a whole, it’s been very good for the local business community,” he said.

LaCasse said people should also know that large sharks, like makos, threshers and great whites, primarily eat seals. “People are not on the menu of large sharks,” he said. The last shark-related death in New England happened in 1936, when a boy from Dorchester was killed by a shark off Mattapoisett.

Skomal challenged Bremser’s assertion that the increased number of seals around Chatham is related to an increased risk of “unfavorable human interaction, including shark attacks.”

Research indicates that when there are more seals in a given area or over a shorter period of time, there are more predation by white sharks.

“That does not necessary correlate to an increased number of white shark attacks on humans,” he said.

Mike Brady, refuge manager at the Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge, said two years ago there was evidence of shark attacks on seals, in the form of half-eaten carcasses. But this summer, there’s been no evidence of dead seals, he said.

The reason, Brady speculated, is that a number of the seals have probably relocated to other areas, possibly responding to predation, or possibly because their food source has migrated. Studies of seal scat indicate that they largely feed on sand lances, which appear to be less available recently.

Brady said he has observed smaller numbers of seals around South Monomoy late this summer, and has observed a group of several hundred which have apparently taken up residence near Aunt Lydia’s Cove. Though numbers are down sharply in recent months, Brady said there are almost certainly still a large number of seals in the system, possibly having relocated to other sand spits like Muskeget Island.

Interviewed after the meeting, Bremser said he has also noticed the decline in seal numbers around Monomoy.

Bremser admitted the effort to control the protected seal population may be futile, but said his letter will be beneficial if it only opens a dialogue about the problem.

8/17/06

Slipknot
08-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Great :btu:

I'll write uncle Ted a letter also and urge this act of congress to do something also. this is a move in the right direction and all of us fishermen and surfers and beachgoers and people who eat fish should jump on board.

zacs
08-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Even if they find there is a population problem, what are they going to do?? have a seal hunt? It will NEVER happen.

Studies of seal scat indicate that they largely feed on sand lances, which appear to be less available recently.

This is why you cape guys don't have the fishery you once did, IMO.

Zac

Slipknot
08-18-2006, 11:50 AM
Even if they find there is a population problem, what are they going to do?? have a seal hunt? It will NEVER happen.

This is why you cape guys don't have the fishery you once did, IMO.

Zac

Zac, the seals have ruined the fishing we once had just 4 years ago.
They decimated all the flounder in Pleasant bay, they will continue to eat everything around here till it's gone. They target us fisherman to get an easy meal when we manage to finally hookup, then we risk losing the plug and the fish. they all must die or go away.:gorez:

Redsoxticket
08-18-2006, 12:05 PM
Would someone with a creative writing style post a letter that we all can use to submit to the senators.

The seal problem at the cape will most likely expand to the entire east coast The capes problem is everyones problem.

Slipknot
08-18-2006, 12:10 PM

The seal problem at the cape will most likely expand to the entire east coast The capes problem is everyones problem.

what do you mean? it already has expanded
those bastages are everywhere, and you are right, they are spreading out further and further.

likwid
08-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Zac is right, trying to raise a seal bounty again would be like trying to make it open season on Otters or anything else thats cute and cuddly.

Unfortunately the sharks don't reproduce/start inhabiting a location nearly as fast as seals do.

I'll bet there's a SEAL ATTACK on a human either by the end of this year or by the middle of next summer.

They're waaay too comfortable around humans already.

zacs
08-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Zac, the seals have ruined the fishing we once had just 4 years ago.
They decimated all the flounder in Pleasant bay, they will continue to eat everything around here till it's gone. They target us fisherman to get an easy meal when we manage to finally hookup, then we risk losing the plug and the fish. they all must die or go away.:gorez:

What I was saying, and please correct me if i'm wrong, is that the main source of food for stripers on the cape historically has been sand eels. If the seals are eating the sand eels more voraciously (sp?) than the stripers, there is your problem. Not the seals eating the stripers, which I know happens, but if there is no bait, that is a much bigger problem.

And you guys can write letters, picket the state house, start a hunger strike, whatever. None of it will make any difference. You have a better bet of getting open season on piping plovers then you ever have on moving, hunting, or otherwise disturbing a marine mamal, especially a cute seal.

I feel bad for you guys, and I hope the seals don't make it down this way in those types of numbers... but hunting seals on the cape will NEVER NEVER EVER be allowed in this day and age.

Zac

Flaptail
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Death to Seals on Cape Cod Beaches. Bring back the 70's when they were only here in the winter. How about some seal birth control? Bring back the sand eels and Window pane flounder and the bass to the beach. We have rights to just as much as the animals.

Karl F
08-18-2006, 05:35 PM
When on the cape, in recent memory has anyone caught a sand dab off the beach.. flounder, or fluke, in Pleasant Bay, or Nauset Harbor?sand eels?, how abundant they were remember?

zacs, a young man, marine biologist, that I speak with where I work, his hobby is studying these seals, I am going to ask him to share his data with the Chatham Selectmen, he dives, and boats and is following the seals on his own time.. Get Ready.. he feels that they are starting to follow the food chain south of us, as they have more or less cleaned the cupboard here... hope you welcome them to clean your area of bait and fish, I will bid them good riddance.
I have heard that the greys ( a few) have been spotted as far south as the Hudson this year!
That is how they start, a few at a time....

no wonder the animal activists continually win, if sportsmen lay down so easy... guys that are writing :kewl:.. keep it up, it might not have a snow balls chance in hell, but keep trying.. rec, or comm, one thing both groups know.. is the seal must go, or at least thin the herd..
People, and Sportsmen have rights too.. the Plover folks, and the Seal folks have lost sight of that.. let us not join them.

tattoobob
08-18-2006, 05:55 PM
We just won a big battle with the Canadian Geese and hopefully we can do the same with the seals, the plovers is a tough battle but we can win that one to.

macojoe
08-18-2006, 07:42 PM
Back 10 years ago I use to rake sand eels right in pleasent bay!! Right on the bar out front the at the mission.

Last year I could not get any!!

Been 2 years since I have gotten a Fluke in Little Pleasent Bay.

KILL KILL KILL KILL SEALS!!

Bass Babe
08-19-2006, 08:15 AM
I don't think there'll be a seal hunt anytime soon, but officials could certainly up the potential biological removal (PBR) of one or more of the 4 seal species found around here. That means more bycatch allowed for the comms. There is a way to take more, maybe just not a public clubbing. To find info on how the populations are doing, how much removal is allowed, how much longer we can expect the species to be overprotected, and more info, check NOAA's stock assessment reports. They can be found at http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/sars/.

CANAL RAT
08-19-2006, 10:59 AM
a seal hunt would be pretty sweet.i can take my remy semi auto shotgun and load it up with rifled slugs.

gone fishin
08-19-2006, 07:54 PM
The seal problem is heavy on the Cape, but is rapidly spreading to the North Shore. Plum Island and the Merrimack river is loaded with the swimming rats. They actually reside in the river and chase the fish right along with the fishermen. :realmad:
Also have had plenty show up off of Sandy Neck. I think all that has been posted here is in vain unless we get together and make some kind of noise with the Pols.:faga:

jkswimmer
08-20-2006, 08:18 AM
I have to agree that something is out of balance, but before white man showed up there must have many seals yet there was plenty of fish also. This the reasoning the PETA people are going use. By the way I saw seals chowing on blues yesterday affternoon.

Karl F
08-20-2006, 09:39 AM
They were mostly north of here pre white man days, however, the Indians were known to kill them, in quantity... using the PETA logic you mentioned, then, I guess we should be allowed to as well... no?

Adrian
08-20-2006, 10:21 AM
An outbreak of distemper would do the trick. Something similar wiped out the grey seal population in the North Sea (UK) many years ago. This is the same virus that is fatal to dogs and spreads like wildfire.

Now, if we could just train a couple of those coyotes on Monomy .....

likwid
08-20-2006, 10:27 AM
then they go back onto being full endagered/protected and it gives the wackos ANOTHER reason to shut down the cape beaches.

as much as i hate them its nice to see we've been saved from our ignorance of attempting to wipe them out.

Swimmer
08-20-2006, 10:46 AM
Zac and others...........the same people said there would never be a coyaote hunt either!

kennebecstriper
08-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Up here in Maine I have seen seals as far up as the Chelsea Gardiner area! This is completely fresh water! I didn't even know that they came into fresh water.
While I do enjoy watching them, they are way to comfortable around people. It is a real problem when they see a boat as a dinner bell.
Do any of the guys from Ct see seals around Saybrook/Menunkateesic yet? I am from there but haven't been back in a few years.:eyes:

likwid
08-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Zac and others...........the same people said there would never be a coyaote hunt either!

Coyotes eat the family pets.
Seals don't.

BIG BIG difference here.

Slipknot
08-20-2006, 04:58 PM
excuse my ignorance but when a Senators relative or whatever gets bit by a great white in the area, then maybe they will take notice.

family pets? ya right. they(yotes) too are getting bolder and bolder.

distemper, ya that's the stuff.
I like my ignorance likwid

likwid
08-20-2006, 05:17 PM
excuse my ignorance but when a Senators relative or whatever gets bit by a great white in the area, then maybe they will take notice.

Thats about as likely as Bush finally admitting he was wrong about WMD's.

And you WANT them to get distemper?
Throw your beach access pass away now then.
And don't bother getting one next year either, because if that happens, they'll shut down the whole GD backside.

Slipknot
08-20-2006, 05:48 PM
And you WANT them to get distemper?

nope, just want them to go away or back where they came from and not stay here all summer. Just want them to stop clearcutting the Cape waters of every living thing. They eat alot of fish, there are thousands of seals that eat a huge amout of seafood. Why can't I eat some seal meat if I want to? Can't even keep a freakin tuna if I happen to catch one from shore by accident either:smash: even if ya own a boat and have a tuna permit. but that's another story.
There used to be flounder in Pleasant Bay, the baitfish like sandeels used to constantly be up on the beaches all over the cape, just ask the rakers how they are doing lately on the outer cape:wall:
You need to have a boat to get any decent fishing for any consistency out there nowadays.You think if they had some virus and all got sick and started dying, that some save the seals group would be formed and keep people off the beaches? :huh:

Adrian
08-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Actually, once they get the virus they're gone pretty fast. In fact nobody was sure where they'd gone when they dissapeared from the North Sea. At the end of the day, nature has a way of balancing things out, and it could care less for any political party. The timetable might not be to our liking but it always happens, eventually.