View Full Version : 2 New Tim Coleman Articles On SRI

Joe
08-22-2006, 04:04 PM
Tim Coleman, retired New England Fisherman Editor, has contributed two new (not reprints) articles to the SRI article section.
They are quite good.
One "The Seven-Foot Season" is on the rise of smaller rods - particularly applicable for veteran anglers whose backs are not as young as they used to be.
The other, "Worms That Work" is about the effectiveness of long rubber worms.
SRI Artilce Page (http://www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com/Articles.htm)

PI guy
08-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Great reads! I have a 7' St. Croix premier mh that I used to fish w/ all the time. I now usually use an 8' avid so I can throw some bigger stuff, but the 7' took more than its share of big fish from the shore.:rolleyes: I'm not old yet though!:walk:

justplugit
08-22-2006, 07:46 PM
That rod is awesome. Casts a mile with #10 and rated at 3/4 but throws 1oz no problem all day. Only problem is you won't release many large with the long fight.

tattoobob
08-22-2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks Joe

NIB
08-23-2006, 07:53 AM
New Title:
NJ guy moves to RI, gets old use's sissy rods.
Nice article on the bottom on How Chasing birds is for the birds.

Joe
08-23-2006, 09:08 AM
Yes, he's older now.
He got a 63# from shore - but he's never mentioned it to me...
Don't underestimate how much a guy like Tim could help you if he chooses to.

bart
08-23-2006, 09:13 AM
doesn't he have a 70 from shore as well? on a stubby needle with long hackles?

LeCounts1099
08-23-2006, 10:26 AM
Was a "67" I recall... Second- most impressive part of the story to me, was that he carried it back alone up the South cliffs of B. I.!

Tim was (is) an all- time great no- doubt!... But like most of those "Fisherman" mag. vets., they haven't written anything truly educational or non- rehashed in years! Same for Muller, Rosko, & even Frank D. Yes, all greats, but today not the best reading, I agree w/ Nib... :yawn: If you read Franks' books, you've read his all...

As an aside... I really don't see how any Surf- rat that targets "large," can really feel properly- gunned in the big- water/ Ocean surf, with a 7 or even 8 footer. Those who know will tell you that even 20 lb. test on a 10 footer (I'm still a mono. guy!), is "light tackle" when that 40+ comes knocking (forget the 50+!) :musc:

DZ
08-23-2006, 10:33 AM
Nice articles Joe. I’ve known Tim for a long time and he does a good job. If I may elaborate a little about his “Worms that Work” story. I’ve been fishing the jig and worm for many years now after Tim convinced me to try it. I fish them from the surf and here are a few lessons I’ve learned.

1. Use the Andrus jig heads – they are made with a VERY strong hook. Ritchie “Bucktail” Andrus makes some of the best bucktails and jig heads on the market. His ½ ounce jig head offers the strongest hook available and is perhaps the most versatile in rocky shoreline applications.

2. Use large bodied rubber curly tail worms at least 7 inches long – they will slow the sink rate allowing you to present them SLOWER. IMO the Berkely Power Worms are too skinny for surf use unless fishing deep water (over 10 feet).

3. When to use them:
There are times when bass will crash your plugs and you’ll drop them because they shake off or worse yet, straighten your trebles – very frustrating and if you’ve been around for a while you know what I mean. When this happens I’ll put on something with a single hook and very often it’s the jig and worm. The single hook will greatly increase your hookup and land ratio. (This single hook application was also the inspiration for the original “stubby needlefish” developed many years ago by Dan Pichney in collaboration with again, Tim Coleman. Interesting how good ideas stand the test of time.)

eelman
08-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Nice articles Joe. I’ve known Tim for a long time and he does a good job. If I may elaborate a little about his “Worms that Work” story. I’ve been fishing the jig and worm for many years now after Tim convinced me to try it. I fish them from the surf and here are a few lessons I’ve learned.

1. Use the Andrus jig heads – they are made with a VERY strong hook. Ritchie “Bucktail” Andrus makes some of the best bucktails and jig heads on the market. His ½ ounce jig head offers the strongest hook available and is perhaps the most versatile in rocky shoreline applications.

2. Use large bodied rubber curly tail worms at least 7 inches long – they will slow the sink rate allowing you to present them SLOWER. IMO the Berkely Power Worms are too skinny for surf use unless fishing deep water (over 10 feet).

3. When to use them:
There are times when bass will crash your plugs and you’ll drop them because they shake off or worse yet, straighten your trebles – very frustrating and if you’ve been around for a while you know what I mean. When this happens I’ll put on something with a single hook and very often it’s the jig and worm. The single hook will greatly increase your hookup and land ratio. (This single hook application was also the inspiration for the original “stubby needlefish” developed many years ago by Dan Pichney in collaboration with again, Tim Coleman. Interesting how good ideas stand the test of time.)

Tim also had me hooked on them, He is a great guy! He sent me via UPS a lifetime supply of black 10inch worms and Andrus jig heads there was a note inside that simply said "Here ya go bill good luck"

Tim was aslo the first guy using the sluggo....he loves those worms!

Good reads Joe

Joe
08-23-2006, 11:15 AM
I suppose it depends - a good 7-foot rod today has enough backbone certainly, and 7-8 foot rods are good for soft plastic. But 9+ feet certainly gives you more pulling power and more room to play fish through the rocks. But are more guys using smaller rods? Certainly. So as a topic it is pretty strong.

I'm not going to critique other writers - there is no upside to it.

The problem with content in the mags is that they don't pay enough so you see stories that can be banged out in a few hours. One full page ad just about covers all the content cost paid to the freelancers for any given issue. They got the money to pay more - but they choose not to. Cripes - I paid Tim the same as The Fishermen would have - and I'm not a very big enterprise by any stretch.

Joe
08-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Usually I would have had the jig heads and curly worms ready to sell at the same time I put the stories up - I must be slipping :huh: :huh:

I have the Andrus Heads, I just have to put them up. Curly tails are on order.

I'm going to try and provide more free articles...

RIJIMMY
08-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I am a huge fan of the lighter tackle 7 ft set up. I fish heavy at night with plugs and eels but once it gets light I switch to my 7ft st croix with a shimano reel. 10lb line. As Tim's article says,walking the beach at night in shorts and catching blues or bass is a blast. I don’t believe in the big bait = big bass (except for eels), most baitfish in the area I fish are small and this combo lets me present smaller lures. I have landed decent fish on this rig and a 20lb bass or 10lb blue is a battle. Here is a pic from a few weeks ago with my son casting for blues with the 7ft. I wouldn’t give up my sissy rod for anything.

Rockport24
08-23-2006, 11:38 AM
very cool, thanks for the articles Joe!

NIB
08-23-2006, 04:32 PM
I love Tim Coleman To put him in the same sentence as FD is a great diservice to Tim.He is old friends with alot of the guys That where my mentors yrs ago when I started.I was biting my lip on the jig article as i have to keep somethings to myself.Well my lip got numb.
His rubber on a jig article is right on the money.One of my favorite ways to fish.no question.Like DZ said.That single hook is the Best way to land a giant.I make my own jigs.Only the best hooks an biggest hooks.My molds are all dremelled up.Most of the smaller weights get a big hook an a sinker eyelet. U would not believe the hooks I put in a 1/2 head.How bout a 7/0 Gami Siwash.has a 1" gap razor sharp an it will not open.One of the best fish I landed came on a fish trap.Nice plyable baits with a big paddle to help em stay up.They come in a great array of colors an sizes..A little pricey i watch em with the bluefish.Seems every yr i get a good one on the jig.One of my favorite's for the fall is a 3/4 smiling bill with a 5" white shad body threaded up on the hook.I wrap the shank of the hook with Size E thread.I make little nobs an krazy glue it.They act like grabbers to hold the rubber bait on good.kill fish on these.Way before anyone knew what a storm was.Dummy baits.Good luck with those hooks an a good fish.
Thanks for the Article Joe.Ur a good egg.