View Full Version : Picked up a Personal 406mhz Epirb w/gps

Mr. Sandman
08-23-2006, 02:12 PM
I really like the fact I can take it with me. I have my own "kit" now that I can take with me when I go on someone elses boat I don't have to rely on them to have saftey items and where they are and how they work. I don't even ask now, I am self contained now and good to go . :bl: Also it is great to have on board the CC too.

Sluggoslinger
08-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Great Purchase!! How much did it set you back?

keeperreaper
08-23-2006, 02:19 PM
I picked one up earlier this year also. Peace of mind knowing you have all the necessary safety equipment with you. I always take it with me on others boats.

Mr. Sandman
08-23-2006, 02:28 PM
About $650. They make one for 550 that interfaces with your gps but for $100 bucks more I figured it saved me from messing around with wires and downloading lat lon's when I need to use this thing, I want to push a button that says "come get me NOW"

The one I have is made by ACR and I got it at Landfall Navigation (online). There are several brands that have similar models. Frankly there is a lot of technology in that little case. I wanted to get one of those new Shimano Toros reels but when read about these, I think this should come first.

Uncle Matt
08-23-2006, 04:42 PM
That's thinking with your head there Sandman. The Toros will be there waiting when you can squirrel away some more $$$.

Fish On
08-23-2006, 05:27 PM
I guess it's time. I don't want to have to listen to a lecture next time you're fishing with me. ;-)

Is this the one you got? ACR RapidFix 406 EPIRB w/ GPS Interface?

This one looks interesting also: ACR Mini B 300 Miniature floating personal locator EPIRB

Mr. Sandman
08-23-2006, 06:50 PM
Keith,

I think the "Rapid fix" is the model that attaches to your boat for a permanent installation or in a ditch bag. There are various models for automatic/manual operations.

The "Aquafix 406" is the "personal Epirb" I purchased. These you register to yourself, not your boat and you can put this on a life vest or on your belt or in a small bag and take it with you , anyplace, boating fishing, skiing, hiking etc.

They both do the exact same thing except the one you mount on your boat can be deployed automatically if the boat sinks and it sends a signal for 48 hours.

The personal model is manually deployed and the signal lasts for 24hours. It is recommended for fishermen in the near coastal areas where a 48hour signal is not warranted. (The average time to rescue with one of these is like 46 minutes and SAR starts (on average) with .06 hours after you set it off for the ones with internal gps, the non gps ones takes longer and can take several hours for help to arrive)
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/aquafix.html

I was not hinting that you break down and buy one, hey, if I go with you this year, I will always have mine! That is a good reason to invite me:rolleyes: (now that was a hint!:scream: )

PS: managed to get some nice fish this AM on a new lead core set up with the trolling your secret weapon in the usual spots. Lots of fish just not huge...yet. OH there are some monster bluefish now and again...someone got a 38" bluefish this morning I think it is in the 19-20# range.

Fish On
08-23-2006, 11:15 PM
Actually I've been thinking about buying one for a while now. My mother has mentioned it a couple of times since I told her what an epirb is. I think it's time. This is a good thread. I hope it leads to others doing the same thing. As always you're setting a good example.

Glad to hear it's still producing. I like the lead core as well as you know. I piked up some interesting versions of it while I was in Florida last week. I'm going to look at fishing them in some different ways to see if I can improve on a good thing. Thanks for pulling the first one out of my tackle box that day last year Casey! Goes to show you should always try new things.

I was hoping some of those nigger blues would be showing up around the Vineyard. I hope they stick around. It's been a long time since they've had the huge blues around during derby time.

I can't wait for the 10th of next month.