View Full Version : Dog Sprayed by Skunk

Motor Fish
08-25-2006, 10:03 PM
My lab was sprayed tonight, anybody have any recipes for cleaning?

Not to mention that when he came in, he went straight over to the couch and wiped it all over...

Gonna be a long night.

nightfighter
08-25-2006, 10:06 PM
massengil douche. Bought it by the case when I had two yellow labs...

Motor Fish
08-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Ha! Seriously?

Dont have any handy around the house right now.

I just googled and came up with this.

Ingredients:
1 quart (or liter) of never opened 3% Hydrogen Peroxide available in most drug stores.
1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of liquid dish soap

I think I've got this stuff around the house. gonna have to give it a shot.

Karl F
08-25-2006, 10:12 PM
Agway and some pet stores carry a product.. Natures remedy.. could have name slightly wrong, but it works good.. Massingill will do it to.. can't tell you what will work on the couch...
good Old Tomatoe juice bath for the dog too, helps...

U won't laugh at this now.. but my buddy Doug, years ago, his dog got it good.. he went to the stop and shop, bought several bottles of massingill and several jugs of tomatoe juice.. clerk says "skunk?"..
he goes.. "nope, I'm going home and give the old lady a good hosing, and get hammered on bloody marys!".. took his change and walked off.. clerks jaw dropped, and the folks behind him in line were peein their pants laughin....

nightfighter
08-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Ya, seriously, but you do get some weird looks when you go into a Seven Eleven in the middle of the night to buy 3 or 4 douches.....

Motor Fish
08-25-2006, 10:18 PM
Here I am, searching the net to find a remedy and hoping the smell just goes away. It's not going away, but just getting worse. OMG, the house reeeks. Plus, I just read that I have to give him a bath ASAP or the smell could last up to 2 years...

I'm off to give him a bath. gonna be fun.

spence
08-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Ingredients:
1 quart (or liter) of never opened 3% Hydrogen Peroxide available in most drug stores.
1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of liquid dish soap
FYI, this will work...experience talking...

But use a lot and really lather it in!

Then take 'em into the groomer in the morning and pay for the deluxe treatment...

-spence

Island Girl
08-25-2006, 10:36 PM
My parents dog has gotten sprayed by a skunk about 5 times now and they always use Tomato paste give him about two bathes in that and he'll be fine.... Either that or you can buy a special blend @ your local pet store to get rid of it (I don't know how it works though and they will probably charge you an arm and a leg)....

striprman
08-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Agway and some pet stores carry a product.. Natures remedy.. could have name slightly wrong, but it works good.. Massingill will do it to.. can't tell you what will work on the couch...
good Old Tomatoe juice bath for the dog too, helps...

U won't laugh at this now.. but my buddy Doug, years ago, his dog got it good.. he went to the stop and shop, bought several bottles of massingill and several jugs of tomatoe juice.. clerk says "skunk?"..
he goes.. "nope, I'm going home and give the old lady a good hosing, and get hammered on bloody marys!".. took his change and walked off.. clerks jaw dropped, and the folks behind him in line were peein their pants laughin....

What happens if you have a male dog ? give it an enema ?

ProfessorM
08-26-2006, 09:24 AM
Stuff called Skunk Off works, at pet supply stores. It's funny when they get sprayed in the face and mouth and they come back foaming at the mouth like a mad dog. You would think they would learn. P.

mrmacey
08-26-2006, 10:16 AM
My German Shepard got it good right in the face 3AM Im getting ready for a run and I put her out ok Im all dressed ready to go and I let her back in she ran all over the house wiping her face on everything went in the bedroom then the smell hit me the wife yelled get Her Out of here I was gagging it smells so awful I feel for yA!! I locked her back out and went to do my trip client gets in and the first thing she says is BOY the skunks are out tonight LOL! I sunk in my seat knowing it was me all the way to logan that smell lingered right with us she gets out and says your car must have got sprayed by a skunk because it still smells up here. Yup must of got out of there quick. I got that stuff at the pet store and washed everything in the house with it she got the tomato juice bath leave the doors and windows open it will go away by tommorro.
Good:yak6: Luck

basswipe
08-26-2006, 12:16 PM
My dad's dachsund got it Thurs. night.

justplugit
08-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I just read that I have to give him a bath ASAP or the smell could last up to 2 years...

They're stretchin it, Rich. If they inhale it into their lungs their breath will smell for a couple of weeks. Just continue to give him a daily bath with some of the remedies mentioned here. My Vet used to reccommend Skunk Off. I think you may be able to use the Nature's remedy Karl mentioned, on your couch.

ktugboat42
08-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Just watch out when you use the hydrogen peroxide concoction. Our friends used it on a black dog and when they let him out in the sun to dry off, he turned orange.