View Full Version : Who are the people you learn/learned from--

justplugit
08-26-2006, 11:20 AM
F-E's post on fishin in the rain jogged the memory, of my Grandfather who got me started on fishing. I owe him Big Time.:) There were, and are so many others who taught me ,and continue to teach me well. No man is an island, and while sometimes we like to delude ourselves into thinking we are self made, most everything we learned came from others.

I had a Holland Dutch neighbor who took me on my first boat trip. I'll never forget the sunrise as we trailered his home made 14ft skiff through the mountains. I can still see the red/white daredevils we trolled that day. He took me and taught me how to fish for flounder. He taught me how to surf fish and the patience to deal with backlashes on every other cast. Rigged eels were his specialty and we would trap them in the river and he would let me rig my own. I was there the morning after he caught a #57 at NE point on BI on #10lb test and held that world record record for 4 years. I owe him Big Time. :)

I have a friend who taught me everything i know about trout fishing. A guy my age, who went ,and fished Montana in the early 60's before most ever knew it's trout fishing existed. He taught me knots, how to read a trout stream, rod balance and so much more. I owe him Big Time. :)

I learned so much from the magazines and books i've read, from guys who i have met on the beach, who without stickin their chest out would help ya out of the goodness of their heart. I continue to learn from you guys here on S/B, and i thank you for being willing to share your knowledge in such an unselfish way. I owe ya Big Time.:)

Backbeach Jake
08-26-2006, 11:28 AM
I rose from the Sea, a fisherman in full on the half-shell.:laugha: Before I came to the Interweb-Forum thingies, I was strickly a bait fisherman. Bait produced reliably and that was what I was looking for, dinner, I learned this from my Grandfather. Plugs were for fresh water. It is you guys who are bringing me along in all things wooden.

striprman
08-26-2006, 11:32 AM
My mum showed me how to fish. When she was a young girl, my grampa would rent a cottage at Gooseberry Island, before the hurricane of '38 blew them all away. She showed me what he showed her.

Skitterpop
08-26-2006, 11:37 AM
My Mothers Father...Granpa Carberg...my Dad Carl....they`re both gone now God Bless! When I got near the salt in 97 it was books then the internet in 2001... a few friends between 98 and 2000...

Now its wide open but I mostly fish alone or with my brother Jack.

Slingah
08-26-2006, 11:37 AM
I learned and continue to learn from everybody I meet and know and everything I see and read..........
also gotta say my friend Bob H....showed me ALOT in the beginning
eels, plugs....etc.....I was happy with schoolies and he turned me on to much larger fish.....
and of course....S-B.com:D

Canalman
08-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Wow, I don't even know where to begin...

My Uncle Jon was my partner in crime as a young'un, he took me fishing for the 1st time when I was maybe 4, by the time I was 5 I was already obsessed. I caught my 1st trout that year and I caught it before my uncle caught his that day.. I can still hear him saying quietly, with a cigarette pressed in his lips, ok my turn, my turn. Then he introduced me to bass (largies) which took over my focus from the time I was 8 until 16, he was there when I took my first 5 pounder and was slightly miffed when I bested his 7.14 with my 8.9. I remember many striper fishing expeditions, but it wasn't until I was about 15 that I began to feel the call of the surf, we went on a guided backwater charter of Nauset Inlet and I caught a 34" bass... from there nothing else would suffice... if it didn't have stripes I wasn't interested. A few weeks later I took a 22 pounder and there was no looking back.

I've learned things from what seems like millions of other people, many of whom I met here on this site. Slipknot taught me a lot about jigging the ditch. #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& has lent some of his wisdom about places and things I've promised never to repeat. F18 my longtime partner in crime has taught me 1000's of lessons. The best thing about these people and things is that their knowledge will always be here in my head for me to use and pass on. And I'm sure that somewhere along the line I've taught them something too. Redcrbbr is another who's taught me some invaluable lessons.

Great thread!

basswipe
08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
A little from my mom before she died.A little from my dad but mostly from myself thru trial and error and from this place.

Swimmer
08-26-2006, 12:42 PM
BIGFISH everything i know about fishing.

BigFish
08-26-2006, 01:21 PM
You are a fast learner Frank....that was a heck of a good 10 minutes we spent together!:laugha: Thats about how long it takes for me to share all I know!:laugha:

I fished alot as a kid......I would take my old Zebco freshie rod down to the fore River in Weymouth landing with my buddy Jim and we would drown sea worms for fluke, flounder and tommy cod! Did alot of fresh water fishing too as my Dad had a summer job as a lifegaurd/caretaker of a private pond in Weston/Lincoln for 25 years! So I would fish when ever I went to work with my Dad.....which was alot! Sunnies, largemouth and catfish.....those were sweet days in my childhood! Then when I seperated from my wife.....the boys were so young and I did not have alot of money what with child support and all....so we fished alot in various ponds around Braintree.....it was cheap and the boys loved it! So did I! Then we saw some stripers swimming in the surf around us one day at the beach and they implored me to take them striper fishing.....I did and we were hooked...especially me!:kewl:

Swimmer
08-26-2006, 01:30 PM
I learned by doing...........with my push button Zebco 202 fresh water r/r. Fish the fresh water ponds within walking distance from my parents cottage in Eastham when I was 7 or 8. Use to be mesmerized by the saltwater fishermen I saw on the bayside and the occasional rides to Coast Guard or Nauset beaches and I saw these guys with these huge rods and reels. Never a moment when I was fishing that I got into trouble or thought about doing anything mischevious. The independent thinking I developed when I was a kid is still with me today, because of that little rod and reel.

capesams
08-26-2006, 02:24 PM
Never had anyone that took me by the hand and showed me how...started out bobber an worm in fresh water...went to salt and played with sandsharks with an old boat rod from shore...then onto plug's...then went to sandeels/chunks for years, after that I picked up on eels and stuck with that for many-many years and went onto jig's on the boat........all hands on an bit's an pcs. from a mag. or too....finding good spots took hours and hours of footwork during the day to seek out holes/points and bars/drop off's along the shore/beach at low tide that may hold fish.

Tagger
08-26-2006, 02:28 PM
I've learned something from everyone I've ever fished with or associated with from sites . Glad thread isn't, What do you remember ? Have to say my saltwater mentor is Carl Johanson ,,not only fishing, but in life . Presently learning from Numbskull.Flap and Slingah .. Grew up near a polluted lake where we fished everyday for years. Until I found girls .
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/raft2.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/date.jpg

Slingah
08-26-2006, 06:10 PM
I've learned something from everyone I've ever fished with or associated with from sites . Glad thread isn't, What do you remember ? Have to say my saltwater mentor is Carl Johanson ,,not only fishing, but in life . Presently learning from Numbskull.Flap and Slingah .. Grew up near a polluted lake where we fished everyday for years. Until I found girls .

u can't be learning from me....I'm learning from you:tooth:

Flaptail
08-26-2006, 10:35 PM
I don't know sh!t. These guys did and do though...

My Grandad (Joe) Shiraka, My Dad (JV)Shiraka, My brother John E. Shiraka, My uncle Norman (Itchy) Demers, Dave (Ski) Kosewski (The best Striper fisherman I ever met), #^&#^&#^&#^& Pleska, Wayne Pleska, Macmin(Mac) Reed, Robert Randolph "Lucky" Singleton, Paul Kukonen, Frank Woolner, Stanley (Stashu) Koslowski, Johnny Williams,Stan Gibbs, Stan Kuzia, Dave (Puff Daddy) LaPorte, Eric Lafleur, Art Crago, George Christman Jr, Alan Cordts, Dave Ross, Dave Peros, Jim Young, Gene Bourque.

All of those guys taught me more than I can ever repay and it has been my priviledge and honor to be related to, friends with, a student
of or worked for in the great endeavour we call Striped Bass fishing.

ridler72
08-26-2006, 10:44 PM
My dad. Early morning/late night blue fish trips to Revere Beach from the surf. I still have my Orange and Gold Rebels. Late 70's and early 80's dive trips to Nahant with the family. Up to my eyeballs in Lobster and Flounder. Throwing frisbies to blitzing blues in Chelsea Creek.

:happy:

Skitterpop
08-27-2006, 07:15 AM
u can't be learning from me....I'm learning from you:tooth:

Yeah....Eddie is to humble....ninja fisher :usd:

Skitterpop
08-27-2006, 07:18 AM

My Grandad (Joe) Shiraka, My Dad (JV)Shiraka, My brother John E. Shiraka, My uncle Norman (Itchy) Demers, Dave (Ski) Kosewski (The best Striper fisherman I ever met), #^&#^&#^&#^& Pleska, Wayne Pleska, Macmin(Mac) Reed, Robert Randolph "Lucky" Singleton, Paul Kukonen, Frank Woolner, Stanley (Stashu) Koslowski, Johnny Williams,Stan Gibbs, Stan Kuzia, Dave (Puff Daddy) LaPorte, Eric Lafleur, Art Crago, George Christman Jr, Alan Cordts, Dave Ross, Dave Peros, Jim Young, Gene Bourque.

All of those guys taught me more than I can ever repay and it has been my priviledge and honor to be related to, friends with, a student

You`re in league of your own now Steve :bo: what a line up.... now write those friggen books.....just don`t call it Stripers Gone Wild :hidin:

BigFish
08-27-2006, 08:32 AM
I forgot to mention a few....in particular....Steve "Flaptail" Shiraka! When I started striper fishing maybe 7-8 years ago...I stumbled across On The Water magazine. Steve's insiders report was what I started to digest...all the information Steve had in all those reports really helped me along the way....along with the entire magazine as a whole! Steve fished the area I have always loved....even before I started striper fishing I spent alot of time on the Capes backside! Thanks for all the help along the way Flap!:kewl: I also have learned much from the folks here in all aspects of fishing from proper equipment, to how to handle fish to how to build plugs.......I would like to thank you all! This is a great place/site and it contains a wealth of knowledge! Also belonging to MSBA has been huge!

bart
08-27-2006, 08:51 AM
Joe Lyons: not really sure what i learned from him, either by working for him or fishing-wise, but im sure it was something useful, i think:confused:

Goose
08-27-2006, 06:40 PM
I have to steal a page from C.Soars and say everyone I've ever fished with, not just what to do but also what not to do. I try not always to fish with the same guys although I admit good mojo rubs off on you and not just in the fishing world either. Its true we only use a small % of our minds and by listening watching others it opens new idea's in our own mind... like anything else. If I had to mention one name I'ld say God...for giving me the oppertunity to meet so many Great fisherman.

spence
08-27-2006, 06:55 PM
I've learned things from what seems like millions of other people, many of whom I met here on this site.
Dave, you're really too kind :kewl:

:soon:

-spence

NIB
08-27-2006, 07:51 PM

Thats quite a list Steve.
What about Dave Manzi??

Karl F
08-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Who are the people I learn from?

I try to learn something from everybody... I will never know enough.
Been very fortunate to learn from some very special folks...
I got to Thank my Dad for time spent, with rod and reel when I was real small, my brother Paul, taught me loads about FW bass.. he is the best I've seen in a stump field or a lilly pad backwater.
Some of the well known surf guys on the Cape, and some of the not so well known (by choice) highliners, have also shared some knowledge with me...
and I am gratefull for that and the history they have shared with me as well
Steve, that is quite a list!! Mac Reed.. a Vermonter who came here as a boy and fell so in love with the cape, he could never leave.. anybody who listened to Mac's advise was very lucky. :D
NIB.. Manzi.. everybody who could decode him online, HAD to learn something.. an evening on the sand, is sensory overload..Pay Attention, or U will miss something..(note to self, :call: BM :soon: )
And the guys on here I've been lucky enough to spend some fishing time with
Thanks to All!

Flaptail
08-27-2006, 08:49 PM
Thats quite a list Steve.
What about Dave Manzi??

Yeah, forgot Nutzi, needlefish 101, in graduate needlefish school now doing research for my thesis.

Bass Babe
08-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Rob Rockcrawler gave me the sickness and taught me so well that I can outfish him every now and then :faga: Special thanks to him for picking out nests, rigging and rerigging my stuff, pulling me out of snags, retrieving snapped-off plugs, landing big fish (and schoolies), carrying my stuff, wrangling cunner, replacing headlight batteries, and multiple other very helpful things. Oh, and yeah, he still does all that all the time. :scatter:

Dad taught me how to catch kivers with a bamboo rod and a bobber, and through trips with him I also learned that girls can't pee standing up. That was a fun ride home.

Snippets of advice online and in person from too many people to recall.

Yay stripers.

piemma
08-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Charlie Murat, Dave Hammock, The Thundermist Striper Club crew: Lanny G, #^&#^&#^&#^&y C. And of course my partner of 20 years before he died last year. Gil Guilletone, a legend in the Narragansett surf.

The Iceman 6
08-28-2006, 08:42 AM
Father and 2 brothers...fishing since I can remember....Once I went to the Salt...I never looked back...

Ice

BassyiusMaximus
08-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Like BigFish, I learned a real lot about the area I now fish and had been fishing all my life from all the writers at On The Water magazine. I knew how to catch some fish from the shores and bridges that I'd fish with with my Dad, however, once we got a boat and knew how to run it, On The Water taught me the techniques and all the general areas that I now fish. The incredible thing is that I've only been able to fish about 10-20% of all the possible areas in the roughly 30 mile radius that I can run to.

So for me, the people I learned from are all the writers from On The Water. When that magazine came out in 1996/1997, I would read it cover to cover until 98 and I still pick it up from time to time as it still reminds me about a trick or thing or two, not like I know it all because I surely don't, but for someone who was just starting out, there was, and I still think, no better publication for a fisherman. Of course this site and many others satisfy the free-ask all you want information that so many seem to want without putting in the time.