View Full Version : Rocky Point Needle

Tagger
08-26-2006, 01:58 PM
My 52 years of needle experiece yeilds this very slow sink needle . This needle is very retrieve sensitive . On a faster than slow retrieve it will surface making a wake. I vary retrieve and even pause, letting it slowly go down sometimes just touching the bottom .. The trick is weighting it so it sinks slightly nose up like 10 degrees.. I'll loose this tonight probably .. They hate it .. This is the good side .. eye is broken on the other ..
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/rockypoint.jpg

numbskull
08-26-2006, 02:35 PM
A trusted warrior, going to a noble death. Hope I find it!
On a more serious note, does it swim or is that unneccessary? The shorties I built don't swim, at least as well as the longer needles I own. The one that is most balanced (i.e., the least tail heavy) will zig zag and glide a little if I work it with short jerks. The others just come to the top and leave a wake, maybe the feathers sway a little. Not what I was hoping for. Much to learn.

Tagger
08-26-2006, 03:42 PM
A trusted warrior, going to a noble death. Hope I find it!
On a more serious note, does it swim or is that unneccessary?
George .. This comes in like a stick .. no wiggle,, no wobble.. I'm able to vary depth if I have an idea on the bottom .. I'm going down and getting right in there face with it . Cut all my good needles in half last year to see how I made them .. LOL ,, I'm knocking off myself .

Backbeach Jake
08-26-2006, 05:02 PM
I saw you gesturing at plug nite and just knew you were talking about a slow sink needle. :jump: now I know! Getting deaf so I learned sign language...

MAC
08-26-2006, 05:34 PM
I gots one of them. Hafta get it wet tonite too. :D

Slingah
08-26-2006, 06:27 PM
I would of lost that last nite there.......I was trying to watch you retrieve...but I was getting tossed around too much.....Ill be able to watch at the other place:uhuh: .....

justplugit
08-26-2006, 06:45 PM
I saw you gesturing at plug nite and just knew you were talking about a slow sink needle. :jump: now I know! Getting deaf so I learned sign language...

:rotf3: I can picture it BBJ. :hihi:

Tagger
08-27-2006, 10:08 AM
I would of lost that last nite there.......I was trying to watch you retrieve.
Matt,, I'm tempted to tell you some mathematical count down method ,consisting of reeling and a twich of the wrist on every 3 rotations with a rod tip raise on every 10 and a pause on every 20 . I would sound smart and I'd be pretty impressed with myself ..Truth is . I usually hook up after a wave hits me and I have to regain my footing or I stop to dig my waders out of my arse .

capesams
08-27-2006, 10:23 AM
[QUOTE=Tagger]Matt,, I'm tempted to tell you some mathematical count down method ,consisting of reeling and a twich of the wrist on every 3 rotations with a rod tip raise on every 10 and a pause on every 20 . QUOTE]

that's the same thing you do for an eelskin needle...why people don't use them is beyond me.

Tagger
08-27-2006, 10:36 AM
surprised ,, nobody called me on my 52 yrs. of experiece ? I got a needle when I was a baby , so I'm counting that . :uhuh:

justplugit
08-27-2006, 02:07 PM
Eddie, what do you find is the best way to fish the Predator/Alien. ?

Tagger
08-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Eddie, what do you find is the best way to fish the Predator/Alien. ?
3 ways
reel it down and let it rise
throw it in current ..
somebody eles told me they were doing well ripping it and rest .. rip and rest .

justplugit
08-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks Tagster, got just the place in about 3 weeks. :btu:

NIB
08-28-2006, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=Tagger]Matt,, I'm tempted to tell you some mathematical count down method ,consisting of reeling and a twich of the wrist on every 3 rotations with a rod tip raise on every 10 and a pause on every 20 . QUOTE]

that's the same thing you do for an eelskin needle...why people don't use them is beyond me.

:D

Tagger
08-29-2006, 04:47 PM
[QUOTE=Tagger]Matt,, QUOTE]

There in primer now ,,have made swimmers,not needles, " Rocky Point Eelskin Needle "..

NIB
08-30-2006, 07:10 AM
It looks like it's around 5" what does it weigh?
1.4 ?

Why bother painting eelskin plugs.Just epoxy em.

Tagger
08-30-2006, 02:39 PM
It looks like it's around 5" what does it weigh?
1.4 ?

Why bother painting eelskin plugs.Just epoxy em.

6.5 inches 2 ounces...
use one 8" 2.5 ounces does the same thing
Heads with (glow in the dark) eyes in it is going to show ..I want too paint it ..

NIB
08-31-2006, 06:39 AM
I remember fishing Montauk on the drop.Not a good tide there??? I was usin Hab's 2 oz.They would hang if u didn't go fast.So I made something slightly lighter.Are u usin em to cast to the deeper water of a rocky point or to fish a rocky point itself.
The one I made was 7" they go 1.7.This weight enables me to retrieve em nice an slow.Without getting hung up.There is a slow sweeping current there also.I had 20-30 fish on a tide there on one of em Nice an slow.they where stacked like cordwood.Not NIB fish but good sized ones. :D Mine was kinda shaped like the one in the pic but stretched out.But fatter in the middle.I think the shape helps to keep em up.Whatta u thin.

Tagger
08-31-2006, 03:14 PM
So I made something slightly lighter.Are u usin em to cast to the deeper water of a rocky point or to fish a rocky point itself.
The one I made was 7" they go 1.7.This weight enables me to retrieve em nice an slow.Without getting hung up.

Exactly Tony ... doing the same thing .. People have told me "You can't fish needles down there" I'm in maybe 12' of water on the end of my cast .. rocky bottom .. If your fishing sinking needles you'll loose every one. These are the ones I cut in half to see how i made them . no secret .. posted them .. I take them out during day light and just plop them in the water right in front of me . I just watch how fast they sink in like 3' of water .. I'm looking for slow sink .. I cast them and see how fast I have to retrieve to keep them on top .. I still want slow retrieve on top too .Then I cast and see how slow I can retrieve them without getting hung up . If I get it right I can reel slow and slower .. even pausing and working them deeper.. I got some nice fish like this last year .. I had a Nib fish on last year I could not turn .. By the time the train stopped I was almost empty and stood there like 20 minutes not knowing if I was wrapped up in the rocks or what finally broke off .. When I mature as a fisherman , I'll land that fish . :laughs:

NIB
08-31-2006, 09:37 PM
I have alot of needles.Three or four large plano boxes.I mark the weights on em.It's the only way to tell what I have. I can pretty much tell where or when to thro em.Weight an size taken into consideration.I constantly fish new terrain.Lots of times for the first time in the dark.The good things about needles is u can jam a bunch of em in a slot in ur bag so I'll go armed with a few different weights an colors..Looks like i'm changing plugs alot but I'm really usin my needle feelers.....
In needles it's all about the weight and or sink rates.I love em they are as a whole the most versatile lure made.
Tagger would probably agree.
The NIB fish where for the most part easy to land.
Eddie we all have cryin story's.
Eben took me to a place an he goes "look thats cryin rock"

Slingah
09-02-2006, 05:02 AM
it works the nuggets.........
and it caught a nice fish tonite.........first cast:D
thanks a bunch.......you da man

Tagger
09-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Rocky Point (slow sink) Eel Skin Needle
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/rockyskin.jpg

Slingah
09-03-2006, 12:44 PM
oh %##*....now your killin me

Tagger
09-03-2006, 01:15 PM
oh %##*....now your killin me
This should bring you back ...
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/skinneed.jpg
kinda cheating...

Flaptail
09-03-2006, 02:58 PM
Eddy, I have noticed when I fish a skin that fish tend to hit more aggresively on a plug where the head exposed matches the same tone as the skin. Blue head on blue side out and black head or green on dark side out, Don't know why it would make such a difference but it seems to. Wierd I know.

Nice stuff though, got just the place to try 'em too.

Tagger
09-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Eddy, I have noticed when I fish a skin that fish tend to hit more aggresively on a plug where the head exposed matches the same tone as the skin.
I'll flip the skin on the next one and paint up a blue head .. interresting . This ones going out tonight as is . I got the olive needle as back up . I wish I could match that skin blue perfectly .. great color .

Tagger
09-03-2006, 03:15 PM
if i paint the head black and put the skin on or paint the head blue and put the skin on inside out ,I'm still going to have a contrasting ring where I fold it back over the tie .. no ? I'm fishing skins the rest of the season .. maybe I'll have it down when it ends .

NIB
09-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Sometimes I just rap the skin around the eye loop no cuts or anythin elaborate.
I like my skin needles to have 2 belly hooks no need for tail hook.Does that tangle one the tailhook.

Tagger
09-04-2006, 02:32 AM
Does that tangle one the tailhook.
not often, but ya sometimes .

Flaptail
09-04-2006, 09:49 AM
Sometimes I just rap the skin around the eye loop no cuts or anythin elaborate.
I like my skin needles to have 2 belly hooks no need for tail hook.Does that tangle one the tailhook.

Agreed that is the best way.

NIB
09-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Agreed that is the best way.

Wow Steve u actually agreed with the NIB.
I almost fell out the chair...
:hihi:

NIB
09-04-2006, 09:58 AM
If i was gonna make one for just for skins.I would try to match the color of the skin as close as possible like Flap Said.
Then I would put the tie right behind the eye.
2 belly hooks no tail hook.
When rapping on the eel.i would trim the skin back neat but leave 2 little fin like tabs on the side.:D

Tagger
09-04-2006, 10:36 AM
will work on that ... thanks .

Flaptail
09-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Wow Steve u actually agreed with the NIB.
I almost fell out the chair...
:hihi:

What? You were right, plain and simple.:wavey:

Tagger
09-07-2006, 03:28 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/eeltop.jpg
I'm going to try these .. test swam one at the canal off season (winter)with a skin and it was a snake . Guy on the service road loved it . I got sidetracked and forgot about it ...

Backbeach Jake
09-07-2006, 04:32 PM
:eek: That is awesome! That is definately gonna be copied. I'm shameless...

Tagger
09-07-2006, 05:13 PM
:eek: That is awesome! That is definately gonna be copied. I'm shameless...

Copy away ,,, what to do with small scraps ? Its acually a lot of holes in a small piece of wood ..,, pluss a lip slot,, I posted this before under suc hole, blo hole ,,i think .. I'll let yous know how my skinning fall run turns out ..
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/suc.jpg

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/blo.jpg

justplugit
09-07-2006, 08:18 PM
nice Eddie, always ahead of the curve. :hihi: :kewl:

Tagger
09-08-2006, 05:30 PM
nice Eddie, always ahead of the curve. :hihi: :kewl:

Thank You Clint ...:)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/skinned.jpg

justplugit
09-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Thank You Clint ...:)
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k134/tagger-02/skinned.jpg

above the fray, Tagga, above the fray. :)

Backbeach Jake
09-09-2006, 12:25 PM
:kewl: wicked when dressed!