View Full Version : gas prices

Surfcastinglife
08-30-2006, 10:39 AM
everyone noticing the downward trend? filled the tank today at 2.64, lowest i can remember in a long time

The Dad Fisherman
08-30-2006, 10:48 AM
never thought I would ever be happy to be paying 2.70 for a gallon of gas

Striperknight
08-30-2006, 11:14 AM
I thought everything was more expensive on the Cape?

The Dad Fisherman
08-30-2006, 11:20 AM
Nothing against you Dad.. But.. That is the problem.. why should we be happy paying that?... we are all getting screwed over.. and after a few months of peak, they drop it 10 %, and we are happy?? Think about it.

I agree with you 100%.....they make it seem like they are doing us a favor. My reply was more sarcasm than anything else.

Flaptail
08-30-2006, 11:25 AM
It's called socio-economic condtioning. Cars, houses, food, gas clothes. Too bad the cost of living raises don't ever come close or move ahead of the trend.

Lert's face it, we are Lemmings.:shocked:

fishsmith
08-30-2006, 11:25 AM
$2.65 in Whitman yesterday. I don't know why but this town consistantly has the lowest of the outrageously high prices.

Skip N
08-30-2006, 11:26 AM
What ever happened to all the so called experts predictions of $6 a gallon gas? Sounds like that was just a BS scare tactic to get people fired up. I'm hearing it could be down around $2 a gallon by Thanksgiving.

MrHunters
08-30-2006, 11:30 AM
we are brainwashed to think that 2.70 is a "good deal"

a admit when i see that right now it does "feel" like a good deal, but i have to tell myself that its not.... not even close to one.

spence
08-30-2006, 11:33 AM
What ever happened to all the so called experts predictions of $6 a gallon gas? Sounds like that was just a BS scare tactic to get people fired up. I'm hearing it could be down around $2 a gallon by Thanksgiving.
Yea, Skippy...it's all just a bad dream :rolleyes:

The 6 dollar predictions I've heard were based on geopolitical instability...not a natural trend anytime soon.

-spence

Skip N
08-30-2006, 11:35 AM
we are brainwashed to think that 2.70 is a "good deal"

a admit when i see that right now it does "feel" like a good deal, but i have to tell myself that its not.... not even close to one.

Go live in Europe were they pay over $5 gallon! Now that blows! $3 a gallon sucks big time, but even if gas was $1.50, people would still bitch that its not $1.30

Skip N
08-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Yea, Skippy...it's all just a bad dream :rolleyes:

The 6 dollar predictions I've heard were based on geopolitical instability...not a natural trend anytime soon.

-spence

I dunno Spence, the middle east has been pretty tense lately with the Israel/Hezbolah conflict, the pipeline in Alaska shut down, shouldn't it be going higher and not lower right now??

spence
08-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Go live in Europe were they pay over $5 gallon!
They pay so much because it's taxed very heavy.

Considering how much of our defence budget has gone to protecting shipping lanes etc... and to ensure below market oil prices. We've really been paying more all along...

-spence

fishaholic18
08-30-2006, 11:38 AM
I'll be happy when it's .99 a gallon again...Yeah right.:hee:

RIJIMMY
08-30-2006, 11:42 AM
You arent "conditioned" to believe anything. So we're all paying an extra $10,$20, $30 a week. It hurts, but guess what? Major corporations are paying $10,$20, $30 million a week due to gas prices. WHat are they doing about it? nothing.There is no us and them, no conspiracy. The market drives prices. Basic economics.

Skitterpop
08-30-2006, 11:42 AM
free gas free willy free whatever it is we need

MrHunters
08-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Go live in Europe were they pay over $5 gallon! Now that blows! $3 a gallon sucks big time, but even if gas was $1.50, people would still bitch that its not $1.30

i would be very happy at a 1.50 :buds:no complaints here

lurch
08-30-2006, 11:44 AM
It's called socio-economic condtioning. Cars, houses, food, gas clothes. Too bad the cost of living raises don't ever come close or move ahead of the trend.

Lert's face it, we are Lemmings.:shocked:

Yep...my raises over the past two years = 180$ increase but the problem is that the cost of health cars has gone up more than that. So my net pay is actually lower than when I started.....time for a new job.

Anyone looking for a network engineer who has Cisco, Nortel and Juniper experience?

Mike P
08-30-2006, 11:46 AM
I thought everything was more expensive on the Cape?

Doesn't cost JP Noonan much more to truck it to Sagamore or Sandwich than it does to Buzzards Bay. But, it's 20+ cents a gallon more.

Last night--Valero in BBay, $2.71, the Mobil at the 6A/Sandwich Rd fork, $2.95. Same price at the Citgo next to Pierpoint Glass, almost right under the bridge.

stripersnipr
08-30-2006, 02:15 PM
We have implemented a 3% fuel surcharge which has offset the increased costs but by no means has the entire increase "been passed on". Reforecasted budgets with decreased earning projections is the reality. Decreased earnings equals decreased headcount, decreased headcount equals higher unemployment, higher unemployment equals higher taxes, higher taxes equals reduced standard of living etc. etc. The outlook is not pretty.

Slipknot
08-30-2006, 02:44 PM
two of our wholesalers were even charging "fuel fees" all summer, buried on the bottom of the invoices.. electricity, right in the bill, if you bother to read it, shows the fuel cost and "delivery" fee, every month.

all summer huh?
I've been charged a fuel surcharge for over 5 years now for plywood deliveries ever since the gas prices got rediculous. It started out as a buck or 2, now it is $10.00 :af: and their trucks are deisel, 20 deliveries per truck per day and they are cleaning up on fuel costs I'd say :lossinit:

it gets harder and harder to compete for jobs from the big boys who can easily absorb extra costs, so it basically comes right out of my pocket and I end up with lower wage because of it just like what happened to lurch.

Slipknot
08-30-2006, 02:46 PM
We have implemented a 3% fuel surcharge which has offset the increased costs but by no means has the entire increase "been passed on". Reforecasted budgets with decreased earning projections is the reality. Decreased earnings equals decreased headcount, decreased headcount equals higher unemployment, higher unemployment equals higher taxes, higher taxes equals reduced standard of living etc. etc. The outlook is not pretty.

well you're just a barrel of optimisim are'nt ya

:crying: another words another recession is on it's way:huh:

Fishpart
08-30-2006, 02:53 PM

People also fail to realize that the Europeans SUBSIDIZE their public transportation with fuel taxes...

Ever try to use public transportaion in this country to get anywhere other than the center of a major city. How about walking to the grocery store like the Europeans do?? When you compare us to Europe you are comparing apples to steak sandwiches in terms of transportation infrastructure...

MAC
08-30-2006, 02:56 PM
There is a headline on AOL by an analyst who believes gas will be down to 2 bux by years end.....

Skitterpop
08-30-2006, 02:57 PM
Karl F

you have been just charged a fee to cover the cost of delivering your post. :hee:

Our lives have truly become absurd.... its nothing more than slavery with a pretense of freedom with a large injection of blind patriotism. I love this country and life but we are being screwed every which way. It saddens the journey.

MAC
08-30-2006, 02:58 PM
http://articles.news.aol.com/business/_a/gas-prices-could-fall-closer-to-2/20060830065809990005?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Slipknot
08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
I'd be happier if they would take that alcohol out of the gas

stripersnipr
08-30-2006, 03:09 PM
Karl F

you have been just charged a fee to cover the cost of delivering your post. :hee:

Our lives have truly become absurd.... its nothing more than slavery with a pretense of freedom with a large injection of blind patriotism. I love this country and life but we are being screwed every which way. It saddens the journey.

Not all Patriotism is blind. Having been lucky enough to travel the world more than most others I can truly say I have come to realize and appreciate how much better off we are than just about anywhere I've been. And there is no doubt we have far more freedom than most of the world. It's easy to bitch about how bad America is (not that you are) when you have little to compare it to.

RIJIMMY
08-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Karl F

really? There is more opportunity than ever. This talk of being screwed is hilarius.....who is buying all these 50 inch flat screen TVS, DVDs, Digital Cams, VAn Stall reel etc......you are! No one is making you, the "man" doesnt exist.
Screw patriotism or the govt,. we are in a capitialist society, money talks. If you find a better way, it will make money. What changed in this country is there is too much whining, to much talk about being victims. This country was bullt on blood and sweat. Want lower gas prices, get off gas! This is AMerica, we have the brains and technology. No why were not???? THERE IS NO MONEY IN IT!!!!!!! Once it becomes profitable for hybrids or alternative fuel cars, they will be produced.

vineyardblues
08-30-2006, 03:16 PM
Today I red the same thing as MAC did...now the piss -me-off thing.
I locked into my heating for the winter, and they had a little add on
"if the price drop's off I will will still pay my lock -in price or pay $185. for a buy a special contract to lower the price ....like WTF is this all about!
u tell me
VB

Mike P
08-30-2006, 03:27 PM
Mike.. ya wanna know something that drives me crazy.. the two major beer wholesalers, charge a dime a cas, to truck it over the bridge....

Yah, I know, that toll is a killer :rollem:

Could be worse--they could truck it thru the tunnel :bl:

BassyiusMaximus
08-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Here is my story from the "Junkyard-Guy" on Marthas Vineyard when I was working an excavator/backhoe and driving the 10-wheel dumptruck during the summer of 98.

My boss/buddy, John, was looking for a new dumptruck. He wasn't sure whether to get a gas or a diesel one. One day we are at the junkyard for some odd reason and this big scruffy, deep voiced guy who was torching angle iron in the hot summer sun stops what he's doing and John chats with him. Sometime during the conversation, he asks him about what kind of engine he should get for the truck, "Now, what do you think?, should I get a diesel or a gas dumptruck?" and the junkyard guy goes over the realities of the island, how it is roughly 30 square miles and that with all the turning on and turning off of the engine, that a gas engine would be the more economical choice due to all the expanding and contracting that a diesel would go through and all, and this was when gas was a whole $1.50 a gallon and was about $1.90 at the marinas on the Vineyard, but at the time was still considered pretty high. So John says, "But the price of gas is so much more than diesel." and the Junkyard Guy says, "Let me tell you something John . . . ", and in his deepest voice continued, " . . . I don't give a f--K how much gas costs cause I ain't walkin!"

Nuff said.

Nebe
08-30-2006, 05:52 PM
everyone noticing the downward trend? filled the tank today at 2.64, lowest i can remember in a long time

must be getting close to election time.... gotta keep the sheeple happy.

stripersnipr
08-30-2006, 05:57 PM

Yeah OPEC must really be looking forward to more Republican Warmongers huh?

macojoe
08-30-2006, 07:51 PM
This crap bringing stuff over the bridge and costing more has to stop!!

It might be true for a one time delivery to someone here on the Cape. But when you have 500 Stop & Shops and 500 Shaw's and 5000 Gas stations its just bull!!!

I don't believe that it cost them anymore then going to anyone of there off Cape stores!! Especially since we pay a ton more for are gas and food!!

Not to mention all the summer people that spend spend spend when they are here!!

Off Cape gas is as low as $2.65 while we are still at $3.04 in the midcape!!:realmad:

Mike P
08-30-2006, 08:17 PM
!!!

I don't believe that it cost them anymore then going to anyone of there off Cape stores!! Especially since we pay a ton more for are gas and food!!

See, this is what you guys get for all those years of telling us Bourne residents who live on the mainland side that we don't really live on the Cape :rotf3:

macojoe
08-30-2006, 08:21 PM
Well I for one have been thinking that after my daughter finishes high school (this coming year) That we are out of here!!

Move across the bridge?? There are nothing but seals here now any way and I have been fishing more and more at the Vinyard!

Island Girl
08-30-2006, 09:29 PM
I still think the gas prices are way too high! Whenever I need to haul a horse trailer I cringe at the thought of having to fill er up :eek: especially if I am driving to the cape and back last trip was well over $100.... The lowest I found so far was 2.89 I think I need to look for some different gas stations

justplugit
09-02-2006, 01:37 PM
Saw $2.61 a gallon this morning. Guess i'll start drivin around today to use up what i got, sooz i can get in on the bargain prices. :D

afterhours
09-02-2006, 03:52 PM
bingo!

Backbeach Jake
09-02-2006, 06:53 PM
I just love that "Because they have to truck it all the way out here "answer. Well, how much to truck it to Ohio? It's less there. Karl, do your Sunday papers have a marked up sticker on them? They don't pay extra in the Berkshires.:af: 2.99 9/10 in Truro today.

Mike P
09-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I just love that "Because they have to truck it all the way out here "answer.

That was the excuse why gas went up 30 cents a gallon when you crossed from Southampton into East Hampton on LI.

Costs just as much to truck gas to Riverhead and Greenport as to East Hampton and Montauk. But the price difference was about 20-30 cents.

Costs a lot of money to truck gas to upstate NY, too. But prices there were 20 cents less than the cheapest stations on LI and in the City :rollem:

DaveS
09-02-2006, 07:38 PM
http://articles.news.aol.com/business/_a/gas-prices-could-fall-closer-to-2/20060830065809990005?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Good read, thankx Dave. Lotta places in NJ under $2.50 now, some still over $3.00m, i dont understand it? How can gas cost more 15 miles down the road, and be as much as $.50 more? here's a site where ya'll can check the high and low prices in your area:

Rhody: http://www.rhodeislandgasprices.com/

Mass: http://www.massachusettsgasprices.com/

Skitterpop
09-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey....stop it!....be happy! We have it better than most countries and we have big tvs and other stuff :wiggle:

DaveS
09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
Hey....stop it!....be happy! We have it better than most countries and we have big tvs and other stuff :wiggle:

We also have Baseball, Nascar, and Hooters franchises :hihi:

Nebe
10-09-2008, 08:45 PM
:angel:

fishpoopoo
10-09-2008, 08:49 PM

no. the timing is coincidental.

1) summer driving season is over

2) recessions are always deflationary because there's less industrial demand for raw materials (we're in a recession, we don't buy as much rubber dog$hit from China as we used to, Chinese cut production of said rubber dog$hit, Chinese use less oil). oil and gasoline are not the only industrial commodities that have come down ... look at aluminum, steel, copper, etc. all down bigtime.

Nebe
10-09-2008, 08:53 PM
I know its coincidence weewee.. I just thought it was funny. well.. nothing is really funny right now.

interesting times right now..

as a major propane user, this is great news indeed.

Mike P
10-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Gas in SE Mass is dropping faster than the Dow :rollem: