View Full Version : Bass Migration Sighting

Crazy Alberto
08-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Okay folks,

There is an abundance of decent fish in our Long Island waters…. Just wondering, (Please do not disclose specific spots… Just general info.), how’s the bite in your local waters?

For the most Northerly folks, have you seen any depletion at all? Our water temperature has dropped 3 degrees in the past 6 days and there are signs of an early fall run… so what is the scoop.

Cough it up. :D

“Crazy” Alberto
NonStopFisher@Optonline.net

piemma
08-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Happens every year at this time. A move of fish that have been sitting in the deep water all Summer. 4 days of NE wind brings the water temp down and the bass come into the shoreline looking for food...
Bass are phototropic.... they react to the lack of daylight. We still have 13+ hours of daylight.

eelman
08-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Yup, no migration, a few fish come in from deep haunts and everyone yells Migration, its August for god sakes, those are fish that where there all summer and just moved in from deep water....the migration is still a ways off............

Fish_Eye
08-30-2006, 01:42 PM
The first wave of fish should move out of Narragansett Bay next week -- in no way does that mean the start of a migration, it's a sort of pre-positioning for the trip down south, but I view it as more of a change in where they'll be found feeding. Find the bait, find the bass.

Flaptail
08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Yup, no migration, a few fish come in from deep haunts and everyone yells Migration, its August for god sakes, those are fish that where there all summer and just moved in from deep water....the migration is still a ways off............

Not really. Bass respond to signals that we, in our technologicaly driven world, no longer receive.

The suns angle is now that of early May meaning less sunlight, the days are often, especially the nights, colder, the water cooling. Baitfish are descending from the back coves and embayments in response to thier genetic codes that it's time to hit the high road and make for the open ocean. All this triggers a response and the more north you get the sooner the fish start to move. Maine fish that are not resident populations, and they do mix, are moving. They start a domino effect.

It is a proven fact that the majority of fish that return to and populate a given specific geographical area, say Cape Cod Bay's Barnstable Harbor, year after year. It is also a proven fact that these fish will leave by a certain date in the fall, usually just after Columbus Day. They all don't leave at once. Certainly we know school fish arrive before and leave after the bigger fish do. But within those specific groups that come back year after year are smaller units that arrive in sequence and leave in sequence. Tagging has proved that.

So while it is still August as you say, we only have one day left in the month. Within the next month the fish will leave in phases, so many at a time from specific areas that they historically summer over in. You wouldn't notice for the most part because of the enormity of these certain groups. Twenty fish in a night is a pitance of what really swims under the water your casting to.

They all don't leave at once, they leave in small numbers over a period of time and they start earlier than most think. We see the reverse in the spring while all the internet pundits call for a early arrival based on weather and winter severity. Truth is they start to arrive when they always have hindered only by degrees of water temp that hampers thier ability to respond to anglers attempts to catch them.

Research has showed that striped bass will respond favorably or unfavorably to a change in water temp as small as 1/8 of a degree. Some are more tolerant than others just as humans and other creatures are. Some of us like to ice fish and some can't handle it and think of more southern climes as soon as the temps at night lower into the low 60's. Striped bass are no different.

They are starting to move and eat and that has been quite evident on the outer cape this past week. I would totally agree with Crazy Al.

Crazy Alberto
08-30-2006, 02:10 PM

Hmmm… this is interesting! I know a lot about our resident fish and I do know for a fact that NE and N wind will push fish closer to shore. That’s common and it doesn’t take a sharpie to know that!

What I am referring to is this…. The past few days I noticed an abundance of bigger fish and they are not the resident fish (believe me, I know the difference and the markings confirms so). What I am intrigued is that there is a healthy new body of fish that just moved in and majority of them are situated not too far from where you are. In fact, it is adjacent to your waters and given that we had 6 days of North and North East winds, I have a strong suspicion that it pushed them our way. Yes, the water dropped 3 degrees (and still dropping rapidly) and the fish we are catching are aggressive in the high 20’s and high 30’s (which is abnormal this time of the year) and all on surface lures during the bright broad daylights!

I am also aware that we are in August but if you looked closely, two days from today is September (Duh!) and because it’s been cloudy/raining for the past few days – it is artificially darker and it would trigger them move. Just a thought and that is why I am trying to get an honest dialog amongst some sharp surfcasters.

So let me ask you the question again and perhaps you can actually shed some light into this topic and maybe we can all get some viable information out of it.

Respectfully yours,

“Crazy” Alberto
NonStopFisher@Optonline.net

choggieman
08-30-2006, 02:18 PM
A lot of other signs point toward an early fall, so an early migration is not out of the question. The bait that usually drops in September from back waters is already headed out of those areas. I would buy into an early start.

Slipknot
08-30-2006, 02:51 PM
well I'll tell you this, the seals certainly do NOT seem to be migrating along with any bass:splat:
maybe I should move further south.

jim sylvester
08-30-2006, 03:03 PM
cooler temp in late august provoked a drop in water temp

one week of dismal weather, ie lack of sunlight.......could be very possible that these fish are thinking to believe that it is 3rd week in september..

I have to check my log book and see what the air/water temp was in last week of august last year in Rhode Island

good thread Al

Big Dave
08-30-2006, 03:08 PM
From what I saw over the past 10 days or so. I dont think its early at all. but rather right on time. Big Dave

Skitterpop
08-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Big Dave!

The only clock to check is the one in front of you / with you.

Mike

eelman
08-30-2006, 03:29 PM
I am trying to shed some light, I think fish movements now are just a shuffle from deeper water drawn in by cooler temps and the abundance of bait, Fisheye, while you may be right, I have caught quality bass in the bay (midbay) until November last year, where ever exodus happens in the next week or so certainy happens at a trickle, IMO.

No doubt mother nature can play tricks with wild animals who's moves are determined in part by sun angles and all that other super technical stuff.....or is it? no one ever really knows what triggeres them, unless your a fish you cant know. My opinion is the Migration starts when the water temps tell it to start. I just think its to early to say that the influx -or- better fishing as of late, of fish here in Rhode Island are fish from up North...My thinking is its fish that were here already just hangin offshore.

As far as looking at fish and seeing there markings, that just doesnt work for me, You could very well have fish from Southwest ledge and points south that have moved in your way, there are thousands of bass that hang between the southwest corner of Block Island and the rips off Montauk, maybe some peeled of and hit your shores.. Watch hill and fishers Island are not from from you the way the crow flys, 3 or 4 days of certain winds can certainly push bait and fish your way.

Wind direction can change currents and thus move fish around, thats not "migration". Evereytime we have a nor'est blow we do well after....all summer long. Anyone knows that any east facing shoreline lights up after a north east strom.

Bottom line is every single thing said is speculation, the only sure thing is that they will migrate! I just dont think its right now. I think iots great you have those fish and since we are a few days from sept. They will most likely stay your way.

DZ
08-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Bodies of fish move all the time - not necessarily "migrating" if you mean moving south. If you refer to any movement of fish as migrating then I guess they're always migrating.
Fish are still here in my neck of Rhody and I can't tell whether they're residents. Alberto, you can look at markings and tell? They all look like bass to me - they're all residents - some just are residents for a shorter period.

DZ

Skitterpop
08-30-2006, 03:42 PM
I`ll be catching keeper size and better Striped Bass in Sandwich area into November :musc:

gutta love it :hee:

eelman
08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Bodies of fish move all the time - not necessarily "migrating" if you mean moving south. If you refer to any movement of fish as migrating then I guess they're always migrating.
Fish are still here in my neck of Rhody and I can't tell whether they're residents. Alberto, you can look at markings and tell? They all look like bass to me - they're all residents - some just are residents for a shorter period.

DZ
Dennis my point exactly, they move all the time, it is not migrating. And I have no idea how Al can tell the markings on a fish ? unless oh well I am curious also...........

parker23
08-30-2006, 03:52 PM
If bass only knew how to read about all of our ponderings on their behalf. I always wanted to be a bass for a few days, just to see what's really going on.
My bet is that the fish will be on schedule, their schedule as it has been long before we pursued them w/such zeal.

I wish tight lines and a long fall run to all!

piemma
08-30-2006, 04:28 PM
DZ & Bill:
I think I know what Alberto is talking about when he says "resident" fish. Gil always could tell when fish from the Cape hit Rhode Island. They are decidedly lisghter because they live on sand all Summer. Rock resident fish are darker because of the bubble weed and kelp, which is darker. Thus you can tell different populations of fish apart by their degree of coloring.

libassboy
08-30-2006, 04:37 PM
Al, Ive deifently noticed an increase in fish, its funny i was just talking about this last nite, how they are defidently not residents and they are moving. Going thru my log, Montauk lit up sept 2nd just two seasons ago and those were defidently migrating fish...so your notion is not far off at all, infact its almost right on target.
The east end of LI recieves alot of cooler water in weather conditions like weve been haivng, esp Montauk, so an early migration of fish is defidently possible, even probable.
Just because they havent started moving in Rhody doesnt mean there arent fish moving at all, Montauk always sees an early goup of fish.

Canalman
08-30-2006, 04:41 PM
Alberto, can you talk a little about how you can tell residents from migrants by their markings, this is a new subject for me... all stripers have stripes what else do they have.

As I see it, the bass that are "residents" in my area could be the residents in yours next year (and by the season I've had, I hope they switch places next year :hihi: ). I have seen bodies of fish move in at all times of the year, and while my experience doesn't stretch as far as Yours Alberto, Bill, DZ. I do have the luxury of being on the water 3-5 times a week and I do consider myself observant. I catch fish every year right up to 11/15-20 in Massachusetts. I never buy it when people say the migration is early or late... it's always right on time and is usually around the same time every year. AND the entries from one logbook mean nothing, just because person A catches 500 fish from 9/15 to 10/15 and then just 15 from 10/21 on doesn't mean that person B isn't catching at that time, you just have to be lucky enough to know where they are at certain times. Same thing as the start of the spring fishing, someone sees a herring in the grocery store Jan 1 and the bass are gonna be here in Feb. I don't buy into this stuff, happens within 10 days of the same date every year.

-Dave

Slingah
08-30-2006, 04:53 PM
I agree with what Canalman just posted.....my thoughts exactly
I also fish 3-5 nites a week and it has been pretty much the same for me year after year.......not sure if they are migrating yet or what....but they are definatly on the search for grub now

libassboy
08-30-2006, 06:00 PM
I wonder if AL means looking at the relative health of the fish. Resident to me are always a little weird, wether they have missing chunks of fins, fungus, etc. The real healthy fish, esp fish in the 25lb and up class, are usually the migrants, and are at the top of their game. They may be skinny at different times of the year but overall they are healthy fish. I know when those first groups of real migrants come thru in sept, you can defidently tell the difference from the residents ive been banging away on for a few months. Im not talking about two or three fish, but an overall picture from catching many.
Weather they are some early group of migrants, or fish shuffeling around, we are happy to have them.:uhuh:

JohnR
08-30-2006, 06:41 PM
You can sometimes tell the difference between a sandfish and a rockfish just like Piemma said (I prefer the dark purple backed rocks :hee: ). So introducing a few days of "sand" fish could very well indicate something different...

Pete_G
08-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Surface water temps within several miles of Newport were still very cozy early this afternoon before the sun came out. 69 and almost to 70 in some spots.

Surprisingly minimal drop considering the weather. A degree or 2 at the most. Distinct lack of bluefish schools out there as well, but maybe it's just the weather keeping them below the surface. Plenty of bait around as well as some tropical looking bait fish holding on lobster buoys.

What that means in regards to migration? I don't know, but it's still warm here, for what ever that is worth.

eastendlu
08-30-2006, 07:28 PM
There are no fish by me or lawng island.:hihi:

NIB
08-30-2006, 07:43 PM
I believe a large population of good fish summered over not far from Al's haunts.Water temps more to there liking close to shore will bring em in an make em HUNGRY.Deep water fish may not have the same colorings of local fish.

eelman
08-30-2006, 11:33 PM
The Migration started in my spot tonight also....had 8 fish.....:btu:

I hope it isnt over before the weekend???:wavey:

I think there may be some truth to light -vs-dark fish however, that doesnt mean they come from some far away place....there are beaches everywhere and sand and rocks along all the coasts, fish move...They have fins.

As for the lack of blues...Maybe outside the bay but from the bridges north you can walk on the blues all day long, there on top all day everyday...everywhere....and the bay still has some real nice bass. even outside, I have some friends that are fishing Brenton reef and its loaded with Bluedogs........

NIB
08-31-2006, 03:25 AM
[QUOTE=#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&]The Migration started in my spot tonight also....had 8 fish.....:btu:

I hope it isnt over before the weekend???:wavey:
QUOTE]

With one eye on the weather.......
Thats Funny.

piemma
08-31-2006, 04:35 AM
Tony's up early!!!
Slow night. Back out now to catch the tail end of the migration.....:bc:

NIB
08-31-2006, 04:45 AM
I can't sleep while #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s catchin em...:D
I tried to switch up my days but it didn't work so i'm stuck till friday when 3-6 inches of rain an 30-40 winds are expected.
To use a phrase of Bassmasters.I'm junk.

FishHawk
08-31-2006, 04:47 AM
I think the migration starts in mid August. Agree that it's not a huge classic migration but it's the beginning. Interesting thread. FishHawk

cow tamer
08-31-2006, 11:32 AM
The N-NE wind over the past week may be working to push bait out of the estuaries, drawing more predators in.
Bait = Fish.

ThrowingTimber
08-31-2006, 11:50 AM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling:hihi: :hihi:

Back Beach
08-31-2006, 02:10 PM
Feeding activity is just heightened in many spots right now. Flap says its picking up on the outer cape, but it always does this time of year. Last week of august was usually prime time out there.Used to call it the "head fake."I always thought the first big slug of large in august was the stellwagen fish bunching up for the move. By mid september they(big fish) are moving though.The canal has been a dink fest for close to three weeks now. Is it because they are migrating? No, just staging, probably due to the abundance of bait. I think they are probably staging in many areas right now, but not migrating. I gotta hear from Crazy Al these markings he's looking at. Al, do the pin stripes mean they are yankee fans? :hee:

eelman
08-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Feeding activity is just heightened in many spots right now. Flap says its picking up on the outer cape, but it always does this time of year. Last week of august was usually prime time out there.Used to call it the "head fake."I always thought the first big slug of large in august was the stellwagen fish bunching up for the move. By mid september they(big fish) are moving though.The canal has been a dink fest for close to three weeks now. Is it because they are migrating? No, just staging, probably due to the abundance of bait. I think they are probably staging in many areas right now, but not migrating. I gotta hear from Crazy Al these markings he's looking at. Al, do the pin stripes mean they are yankee fans? :hee:

Good sound post........

piemma
08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
Amen!! You can tell Mike spent a lot of time on the Back Beach in August. Ballston was so hot in 96 and 97 in August. i had one night Aug 15, 1996 when I had 2 38's and 10 other fish over 30. The big fish stage at this time every year.

DZ
08-31-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey Paul,
What's a stage bass look like? Just in case I catch one - I'd like to know if it looks any different than a migrant. ;)

DZ

piemma
09-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Dennis:
the stage bass where makeup and costumes....

Back Beach
09-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Hey Paul,
What's a stage bass look like? Just in case I catch one - I'd like to know if it looks any different than a migrant. ;)

DZ

DZ,

you can always tell the P'town fish because they swim backwards.....

In The Surf
09-01-2006, 09:07 AM
DZ,

you can always tell the P'town fish because they swim backwards.....

I thought they were the ones with the limp tails