View Full Version : Fall Kayaking Gear

Sweetwater
09-03-2006, 12:26 PM
Now that the weather is turning cooler and water temps are dropping, I was wondering what other kayakers wear to stay warm, especially if you have a SOT as I do.

Do you wear a wet suit, a "farmer john," what do you prefer?

This is my first year with a kayak so I'm curious how everyone stays warm and dry.

toddonbi
09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Dry top, breathable waders,PFD, TWO belts, and chota breathable mukluks, hat, gloves,etc....and I always leave a pretty detailed "float plan" before I head out the door.

toddonbi
09-04-2006, 05:19 PM
Forgot to mention the Mysterioso Line of first layer clothing: top, "long johns, and sock. Breathable and super comfy. I would recommend them to anybody out in the cold.

ridler72
09-04-2006, 11:13 PM
I have dry pants and semi dry top from extra sport with mysterioso underneath and neoprene booties. This is good protection for air temps in the low 60's and water temps around 60. This same set up is good on night runs on cool summer nights. Mysterioso can also be worn alone on days or nights when shorts and a t shirt is not enough to feel comfortable.

When water temps are below 60 with air temp below 60 I wear full dry gear. I elect neoprene waders, full dry top, mysterioso with additional multiple layers underneath, Boots and 2 pairs of wool socks, 2 belts worn over the dry top.

Before wearing this set up on open water make sure you test this system out by doing a float test. It doesnt have to be every trip but atleast try it once to make sure it works. If you dump on open water with waders filled you will never be able to get back in. Be safe.

If you have the budget you can buy a full dry suit from 400 and up. Kokatat makes the Supernova for a good price. Wear layers underneath for insulation.

I like the 50/50 rule. 50 air 50 water, anything less I am better off staying at home tying flies. I did the Salmon run up at lake winni in NH this spring. 36 air, 40 water. I was dressed like the good year man and was only able to stay on the water a few hours. It was cold.