View Full Version : Plugs for Cutty in the fall (II revisited)

nightfighter
09-02-2006, 05:55 PM
I know we did a thread on plugs for Cuttyhunk in June. So what would you change for the fall?

BigFish
09-02-2006, 05:56 PM
BigFish pencils and swimmers!;)

tattoobob
09-02-2006, 06:03 PM
I am bringing Needles and I have a brand new Habs Blk/Purple 2 oz. needle to use. also some Pencils, Swimmers, Black Knights, for night time

Tins, and poppers for day light

baldwin
09-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Pencil poppers for day, Dannys and needles for night.

DaveS
09-02-2006, 09:02 PM
Any good needlefish in:

White
Blurple
Pink
Parrot

Swimmers (MAC Pikies, RM Smiths, etc):

White
Blurple
Yellow
Parrot

They also have a fondness for Beachmaster Cowboy Jr's in white ;)

Pencils (Any good brand like AH, Habs, Saltys, etc)

Parrot
White
Yellow/red head

Leave the little stuff home too, your going to catch bigfish, and the dinks will smack a 3oz plug as much as a 1oz. Think big!
Last fall out there, I did well in the AM with parrot pencils ;) Dont forget extra flashlight/batteries,it gets mighty dark out there and you'll be in deep **** without a light. Plan on doing alotta walking, I mean alot . So, when we goin? :D

ps, Dont forget to bring eels!!

Slipknot
09-02-2006, 10:59 PM
don't forget darters
ya may want some that do not go too deep, keep it shallow since the water is shallow.

fuul moon so maybe lighter colors
I just picked up a squid white/pink tattoo darter

gonna bring everything

NIB
09-03-2006, 05:07 AM
Where's that picture.
:D

Flaptail
09-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Having dug somewhat deeper into the mysterious art of plugging several Elizabeth Islands from shore, may I be permitted to interject the following:

Most of the islands are not conducive to anything that would swim 2 feet or more below the surface. In fact when I am going to land on one of thier rocky shores I carry only two types of plugs: Needlefish and Dannys, period.

Night time is the right time. Fishing from shore in the day is not even close to the opportunitys that await the nighhtstalker. And all my daytime fishing is done from a skiff. Thses fish tend to hug the shore. At night they aren't spooked as they are when you wade down into the rocks under the rays of the sun. Casting from the skiff from outside to inside has proven to be the method of choice in daylight fishing the Elizabeths.

Any needle that stays on the surface, creates a big wake and has the profile of an eel is number one in my very small book of Island fishing techniques. You can bring all the spook, swimmers, poppers you want but the biggest bass eat needles consistently and your needle should be outfitted with a properly tied single siwash in the back and a single oversized treble on the belly. Not garish tying either on the tail. Four sadlle hackles (two each side facing each other) some bucktail and subtle hints of flash from crystal flash or my personal preference, Angel Hair.

And scents. I am totally convinced that added scents catch more fish. Dead slow once on the surface for both plug types, No twitching, snapping of the plug just a straight dead slow retrieve and let the scent and tail dressing do the work.

tlapinski
09-03-2006, 08:02 AM
Flap, what are you using for scent?

My fall Cutty bag looks pretty much the same as my anytime Cutty bag
- 3 ounce Habs needle
- 7" Gibbs or Scud needle
- shallow running stubby needle (Tobias stubby works GREAT!!!)
- mid sized danny such as a Beachmaster or a Tattoo danny style
- old school Gibbs darter for the SW point
- a BIG pencil popper for dawn/dusk

I am in no way a Cuttyhunk pro, but for the few times I have been out there, I have put in a lot of time working and learning the island. Like Flap said, nothing that goes too deep unless you have found some of the deeper bowls and have figured out the short window of opportunity available in them.

eelman
09-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I dont know what he uses but I love "Seabait" the stuff really seems to make a difference..............

I am definatly looking forward to the last weekend in Sept......

Funny you guys dont mention the sluggo, steve fished while you where there Tlap and caught 30lbers on the black sluggo till his arm's fell off, When we went in the spring he also crushed the fish with the black sluggo, in fact it outfished any other plug being tossed out there and it swims close to the surface.......

tlapinski
09-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Bill, I was only listing my plugs for Cutty. Steve took 2 30's that night on the slug go, to 5 taken on plugs. I love the slug go now, but it is still lower on my list than many plugs. I am still building the confidence in it out there. It's hard for me to toss a slug go when I have taken so many good fish on other stuff there. Same deal with eels. I've taken some big fish on them out there, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for a hunk of wood and metal snaking sexily across the surface... :humpty: :humpty: :humpty:

NIB
09-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Bill, I was only listing my plugs for Cutty. Steve took 2 30's that night on the slug go, to 5 taken on plugs. I love the slug go now, but it is still lower on my list than many plugs. I am still building the confidence in it out there. It's hard for me to toss a slug go when I have taken so many good fish on other stuff there. Same deal with eels. I've taken some big fish on them out there, but I still have a soft spot in my heart for a hunk of wood and metal snaking sexily across the surface... :humpty: :humpty: :humpty:

I'm the same way.I know sluggo's an eels catch but i like plugs so much better.
It's a long time goal of mine to prove all the eel tosser's wrong.
There's craft in both art's.
I just think u can do as well with the right presentation an the right plug.
Tough to beat that slimey creature with the heartbeat though.

eelman
09-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Not trying to yank your chain there Tlap, Whatever it was it was, maybe they were not all 30lbs maybe 26lbs to 28lbs but either way he told me in the spot he was at he had 30 fish all good size and then was nice enoght to leave you all a note telling you where he caught them. I agree you use what your comfortable with, however that sluggo is a fish slayer....For me there is no need to switch from the rigged and live eels because they do work on occasion:hihi:

Redsoxticket
09-03-2006, 08:46 AM
tlab, Do you throw that 3 oz. Habs which is a fast sinker into shallow water ? If you do you probably have to retrieve with a high speed to have it ride high in the column but that would defeat the optimum speed which is slow, no :huh:

eelman
09-03-2006, 08:48 AM
I'm the same way.I know sluggo's an eels catch but i like plugs so much better.
It's a long time goal of mine to prove all the eel tosser's wrong.
There's craft in both art's.
I just think u can do as well with the right presentation an the right plug.
Tough to beat that slimey creature with the heartbeat though.
All I can say is this past spring There were plenty of fisherman on cutty and I am sure there were a few of them who new
what ere doing with plugs....I will just say this, there were more than a few of them willing to pay me good money for a snake and kicked themselves for not bringing some out there......A smart fisherman covers all bases.........

NIB
09-03-2006, 08:56 AM
tlab, Do you throw that 3 oz. Habs which is a fast sinker into shallow water ? If you do you probably have to retrieve with a high speed to have it ride high in the column but that would defeat the optimum speed which is slow, no :huh:

Sometimes I use the big boy to reach out an touch someone. With a big stick. In other words fishin the outer edge''s of rock points.not sure they actually cast much further than the 2oz. Fish it for a bit an git it in.sometimes the fish will drop out on ya and if u can't get a shot at em ur not catchin.Them smaller ones he's been makin are good for that also.

NIB
09-03-2006, 08:58 AM
......A smart fisherman covers all bases.........
I agree how do ya Transport an keep em alive out here.Resources being limited an all.

eelman
09-03-2006, 09:09 AM
I agree how do ya Transport an keep em alive out here.Resources being limited an all.

its very easy, I have a system I use with a cooler, ice dripping down on them and draining away from them etc ... I also have them on a bed of seaweed like what you get in a flat of seaworms, once at my Island bed and breakfes, they get transfered to the bathtub, and a do not disturb sign goes on the door:tooth:

NIB
09-03-2006, 09:30 AM
its very easy, I have a system I use with a cooler, ice dripping down on them and draining away from them etc ... I also have them on a bed of seaweed like what you get in a flat of seaworms, once at my Island bed and breakfes, they get transfered to the bathtub, and a do not disturb sign goes on the door:tooth:

I have a similar cooler.
When the eels are in the tub how do u shower.Don't tell me u get right in there with the eels.If so U really are #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&...

eelman
09-03-2006, 10:15 AM
use the shower down the hall.....eels come first

Flaptail
09-03-2006, 02:49 PM
Flap, what are you using for scent?

My fall Cutty bag looks pretty much the same as my anytime Cutty bag
- 3 ounce Habs needle
- 7" Gibbs or Scud needle
- shallow running stubby needle (Tobias stubby works GREAT!!!)
- mid sized danny such as a Beachmaster or a Tattoo danny style
- old school Gibbs darter for the SW point
- a BIG pencil popper for dawn/dusk

I am in no way a Cuttyhunk pro, but for the few times I have been out there, I have put in a lot of time working and learning the island. Like Flap said, nothing that goes too deep unless you have found some of the deeper bowls and have figured out the short window of opportunity available in them.

Toby, stay true to your plugs instead of real eels or rubber ones. I use smelly jelly and Seabait. The smelly jelly in Menhaden and the seabait in worm, of course. It takes way more in skill to have fish take a plug than a live eel and personally I find that way more rewarding. Almost anyone can chuck a live eel and catch fish. We had the otw boat out one early November night along the Elizabeths last fall. Neal Larson invited a friend who didn't know that much about striper fishing in general never mind in the dark. We threw plugs ( I was using a Creek Chub original Giant Jointed black Pikie) and they were throwing swimmers. Neal was hooking and so was I but the friend was coming up empty. "Put an eel on his rig" I suggested to Neal and as soon as the snake hit the water he was on and caught like he had been doing it all his life. I stayed with plugs and Neal went to eels so he could show his bud what to do, didn't catch as many but there was something to seeing okay bass in the mid 20 pound range come in with that old timer hanging across it's jaws. We didn't get any real quality fish that night but a number in that mid twenty pound class.

JHABS
09-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Fact is EEL'S work but THERE are those times when them plugs just WORK Also, Can you Cast a Sluggo or a EEL 100 YARDS or More because sometimes you need to..............You can fish the HABS in shallow water, Cast out reel in fast till line is tight then with rod held at 11 O' clock reel so slow you are bored Plug will stay on or just below surface, I never lose them in the shallows doing that...................Give it a try or do What Works for You. Go get em

Squid kids Dad
09-03-2006, 08:35 PM
You cant teach an old eel new tricks...:uhoh:

tlapinski
09-04-2006, 09:07 AM
:doh: This thread was never meant as a debate of eels vs plugs. It was started as a question of what you use on the island in the fall as opposed to other times of the year. It is a matter of personal opinion, and should not be a source of argument. Sure we all have preferences of what works where/when based on our personal experiences and what we are confident in, but nothing is written in stone. I think some of us, myslef included at times, need to realize that none of our words are gospel. Every aspect of surf fishing from plugging to eeling to chunking comes with different levels of skill. The basic idea of each type of fishing is easy and basic, but the nuances of each is what separates the average fishermen from the consistantly successful ones. If you limit yourself to only one method of fishing, you are possibly losing out on some memorable experiences and catches. If there was one single way to to catch large every time, there would not be so many options available to us in the surf and the challenge many of us hold so dear would not exist.

NIB
09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
:doh: This thread was never meant as a debate of eels vs plugs. It was started as a question of what you use on the island in the fall as opposed to other times of the year. It is a matter of personal opinion, and should not be a source of argument. Sure we all have preferences of what works where/when based on our personal experiences and what we are confident in, but nothing is written in stone. I think some of us, myslef included at times, need to realize that none of our words are gospel. Every aspect of surf fishing from plugging to eeling to chunking comes with different levels of skill. The basic idea of each type of fishing is easy and basic, but the nuances of each is what separates the average fishermen from the consistantly successful ones. If you limit yourself to only one method of fishing, you are possibly losing out on some memorable experiences and catches. If there was one single way to to catch large every time, there would not be so many options available to us in the surf and the challenge many of us hold so dear would not exist.

Solid post
for a kid..
:D

tattoobob
09-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Very well put, and so true:cputin:

numbskull
09-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Fishing with guys who use eels and sluggos makes me a better plug fisherman. From the eel guys I've learned the fish are often there, even if I'm not getting them. I now fish spots harder and with more persistence, changing plugs more often. Likewise, they catch fish in close while most of my hits come out far. Means I'm passing over lots of fish. So I start out with shorter casts. Their offering smells better than mine, so I try scents. Once in a while I do better than them, so I feel like a huge success........ until the next time we fish.
Likewise the sluggo guys. The speed with which they retrieve goes against everything I ever thought you should do, but obviously works. So I try different retrieves, and plugs with more aggressive actions than I used to use. And try to build stuff that acts like a sluggo. I expect it to pay off. Their lures cast like %$%$%$%$ and smell even worse, knowing it gives me confidence my plugs aren't so bad. When I get it right, I'm a big shot. When I don't, I've got an excuse.
Works for me.

nightfighter
09-04-2006, 04:28 PM
So... I digress.....the question....

what plugs would be in your bag on cutty this weekend????

chris L
09-04-2006, 04:50 PM
im going to try night crawlers and meal worms on high low rigs .

tattoobob
09-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Ross, I put alot of needles (all sizes), Spooks, swimmers and tins, slug-gos, teasers, Worm Potion
All plugs are 2 tone because of the bright moon. Eels and a couple of Eelbobs.

Redsoxticket
09-04-2006, 09:14 PM
In my observation there are surfcasters that have alot invested in plugs along with memoriable experiences. It would be difficult to ask them to leave their plugs at home and only use eels or sluggos even if they knew that they produce more fish.

Flaptail
09-05-2006, 08:15 AM
When for a number of years I did nothing but saltwater flyfish I ran the Osterville Anglers Club Educational series with my good friend Capt Ron Murphy, charterboat "Stray Cat" outa Hyannis. I put together a 8 week program of how to get started to advance techniques each year with many, many notable fishermen, scientists, professors etc. I was quite proud of the series over the number of years it ran. Later Gene Bourque and my self did the same for Redington Rod Company. Each year someone would invariably ask the question "How can I catch big bass consistently", I would answer in kind, well for starters you can put away all your fly rods and get a ten foot conventional rod and a big sled dog of an eel", "that's how to get big bass consistently" I know what a live eel can do. I still think getting to get a fish to take a plug is wayyyyy more rewarding.

There was no direct insult, you read to much into it I merely stated that eels, like EarthGirls, are easy. Minimal tackle, minimal care, and once the technique is picked, which is quickly done, the eel does the rest.

I know, I fished nothing but for years and caught many many big fish that way. Stifftip did a 1000 pounds one night back when on Monomoy with eels. But you know what I remember most about eel fishing? It was one night years back with Eric LaFleur, we were drifting eels in Barnstable Harbor at night and had been doing very well. Numbskull had given me a jointed eel he made, (looks just like a Tattoo eel, almost identical the difference being Numbskull made this one ten years ago.) I took that jointed eel plug out snapped it on and the fish totally disregarded the eels for the rest of the night and I croaked them on that plug while Eric just watched. That was my most memorable eel fishing experience.

If you were offended it was purely coincidental, I am merely stating fact and as you so admire the eel and it's fish catching abilities, so do I believe that plug fishing is the most rewarding and demanding of a fishermans knowledge.

Slipknot
09-05-2006, 11:56 AM
Is this one a little bit better Krispy? :huh:

back to what's in your plugbag for Cutty this fall..............

numbskull
09-05-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm no expert on Cuttyhunk, but I fish the Elizabeth's by boat a ton (including today). A couple of things to consider.

Most of it is shallow, what's not has big rocks that come close to the surface. The south side is particularly tough. Consider heavy mono or Fireline over there. If you use braid, bring an extra spool and plenty of leader material. Expect to lose some needles.

Although you'll find some moving water around the west end, and at times near the clubhouse and north side (and of course around Canapisit) most of the night any pull will be minor.

50/50 chance you'll have some swell/ white water this time of the year.

You'll walk a ton. If you fish from the harbor around the west end and back the south side, you'll cover 3-4 miles of rocky/uneven footing (which will take all night). If you take the road out to the west end and fish back one side or the other, it's more like 1.5 to 2 miles of very difficult going (not counting the walk out). Traveling light and carrying water is important, more so than carrying a big bag of plugs.

If you wade, and you'll want to along the south side as the tide drops, korkers or studded boots are neccessary.

For some years now, we haven't had much big bait in the fall (with the exception of last year when in the very end of October and early November we had a big mass of sea herring settle into the west end of Vineyard Sound which held fish in numbers we don't usually see that late). Juvenile bunker is probably the predominant bait (if you are a match the hatch type).

By far the majority of fish I catch daytime plugging are taken with medium dannys and 2.5 oz pencil poppers. A chrome creek chub popper and spooks also can be good.

By night, (aside from the obvious eel/sluggo option) you can't go wrong with a skin plug (either needle or swimmer). 3-4 needles are worth carrying, and a short shallow runner with some hackle has been good this year. After that you are experimenting. Swimmers work great from the boat, but getting the requisite distance from shore can be a problem. Ditto for bombers, etc. Bottles and darters don't get much use because current isn't real fast and depth is an issue, but you'll probably want to carry one in case. Likewise, I stay away from teasers in the rocks (unless I use a hookless plug which I find hard to stomach), but they do work (my biggest shore bass came from across the way at Gay Head on a Red Gill ahead of a Gibbs needle). The place seems perfect for a big jointed eel if you got one, though I haven't used mine much. I do do pretty well during the day using my own version of the smaller master lure (which is now available from Tatoo), although I can't cast it with the size conventional tackle I choose to use from shore in the rocks.

Bottomline, don't carry too much, go with what you have faith in, and fish with confidence.......even if the place isn't paved with fish, the chance at a real big loner is there with every cast.

Slipknot
09-05-2006, 01:49 PM
I love that last line George :D

chris L
09-05-2006, 03:20 PM
i dont walk too far at night I get scared . I cant seem to go anywhere on them rocks every time I step they roll and roll .

numbskull
09-05-2006, 03:37 PM
i dont walk too far at night I get scared . I cant seem to go anywhere on them rocks every time I step they roll and roll .

Truth is you don't neccessarily have to. The west end where the road ends can be plenty good (though it gets pretty shallow as the tide drops). But for those who've not been there, they need to realize you can't access most of north and south shores (at least west of the harbor) without walking in from the ends. Cutting through brush and clamboring up and down those cliffs in the dark doesn't work well, at least back years ago when I tried it. Trying to wade around the pond during a nor'east storm was also a mistake. Hence my screen name.

tattoobob
09-05-2006, 04:01 PM
I changed my mind, I am bringing Sea Worms and fishing them on the bottom. I'm not walking no where

tlapinski
09-05-2006, 06:34 PM
The 3.5 ounce, to me, is a moderatley slow sinker that will come up on top pretty fast. I did some testing 2 summers ago as to sin rates and it was slower than both the 2 ounce and 2.5 ounce Habs needles. It also comes back up to the surface faster than the smaller needles. Just because one plug weighs more than another, doesn't mean it sinks faster. There is more wood to lead in the big girl than the smaller ones.I really like that plug in sticky water. It casts well, rides high (for me), and draws in some BIG bass. I crank her in nice and slow, too. I dropped a really good fish on the SW point my first trip out to the island on the Habs 12"-er, too. Took one cast, hooked the fish, and brought the plug back in with 2 straightened 4/0 VMC's. Granted the fish was probably hooked in the skull (usually the case with straightened hooks on needles) but it still had some good weight and pull.

cuttyhunter
09-05-2006, 09:39 PM
tlap,

Hope to see you on the island in a couple of weeks. Talked to Asa tonight and the shore report was very encouraging but things can always change overnight as you know.

Numbskull is right on with his packing light advice. Don't overdue it. Think Willem Dafoe giving Charlie Sheen some advice in the Jungle in Platoon. "You're humping way too much, troop."

I know its probably personal preference by I've never been a big fan of Korkers compared to good felt soles in the rocks. I find Korkers make me more clumsy and limit my agility. I've taken more spills in Korkers in bubble weed than in felt boots due to getting hung up. If you're slipping with the felt boots then you're moving too fast and not paying enough attention to your footing. Also, korkers are contrary to the goal of traveling light. Always travel with a buddy as well.

DaveS
09-06-2006, 12:25 AM
tlap,

Hope to see you on the island in a couple of weeks. Talked to Asa tonight and the shore report was very encouraging but things can always change overnight as you know.

Numbskull is right on with his packing light advice. Don't overdue it. Think Willem Dafoe giving Charlie Sheen some advice in the Jungle in Platoon. "You're humping way too much, troop."

I know its probably personal preference by I've never been a big fan of Korkers compared to good felt soles in the rocks. I find Korkers make me more clumsy and limit my agility. I've taken more spills in Korkers in bubble weed than in felt boots due to getting hung up. If you're slipping with the felt boots then you're moving too fast and not paying enough attention to your footing. Also, korkers are contrary to the goal of traveling light. Always travel with a buddy as well.

I plodded all around Cutty without Korkers, just my felt soled waders and had no problems whatsoever. Korkers not needed IMHO, but if ya feel the need, ya do what ya need to do.

Slipknot
09-07-2006, 06:39 AM
WHITE PLUGS

anything white, dannys,needles, white white white

numbskull
09-07-2006, 11:36 AM
Perhaps, but I suspect the fish are eating lobster and choggies in there as well. I've had pretty good luck with a 2.75 oz beachmaster needle in blurple, even when some moon is around. I suspect it imitates some of the darker food they hunt. Others I know do well with black and gold.

NIB
09-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Perhaps, but I suspect the fish are eating lobster and choggies in there as well. I've had pretty good luck with a 2.75 oz beachmaster needle in blurple, even when some moon is around. I suspect it imitates some of the darker food they hunt. Others I know do well with black and gold.

Well that should just fry his brain the rest of the way...

BassyiusMaximus
09-07-2006, 12:11 PM
I just want to thank each and every one who contributed to this thread, it has been one of the more informative ones this entire summer, not only for Cuttyhunk but for any plugger. Thanks again all.

Slipknot
09-07-2006, 01:24 PM
Well that should just fry his brain the rest of the way...

you ain't kidding :wall::behead: :soon: :devil2:
everytime I read these threads I go thru stuff again. but that's it, it's in the truck to stay.
I weeded out 2 plano boxes in 2 or 3 separate reorganizings and that's as far as I'm going

I have a beachmaster needle in blurple, I took it out last night :rollem:I have the olive one in my plugbag.
my brain has short-circuited:scatter:

now I have to decide whether or not to bring my korkers, if I do, I may not even use them but if I leave them, I will have needed them of course.:hs: :gu:

Finaddict
09-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Oh man! Now I have to reorg my plugs coming to the island this weekend, as I still have too many - don't really need 9 pencils, but each one is slightly different -- and probably don't need a dozen spooks, or dozen needles, but the question is the big what if ........ hate to be without.

BigFish
09-07-2006, 04:43 PM
Slip....bring them anyway! If you decide you want them at least they are on island with you! Have fun you guys!:bounce:

tlapinski
09-07-2006, 06:10 PM
My first trip to the island, I packed WAY more stuff than I needed. Since then, I get away with a much more specialized, smaller pile of gear. When I am out and about, I only bring my single row Skinz bag with 2 plugs per tube and one large plug in the side. Maybe a few slug-go's in the flap if I feel so inclined. My philosophy is to pack exactly what I think I will need, and fish those plugs completely. I really believe that if you limit the plugs you bring out on a given night, but cover the bases, your success will be greater. It makes me fish the limited supply of plugs more thoroughly through the water to be sure that there are not any fish around if I am not catching. As far as colors, I base that on the current moon / weather stage. Sure there have been nights wher I wished I had brought some certain random plug, but that experience has occurred less and less often as I have truly stuck to the plan over the years. Sure there is the yellow/red plugs on Cutty and neon green on Block theories, but I have never personally caught on either of those colors on either island. I simply stick to what I know and make the island adapt to me. :usd:

tobias
09-08-2006, 09:24 AM
Or HO some plugs from your buddies:hee:

Pete F.
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
bump, it's that time again

ray
09-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Black and silver popper at first light. darters yellow or shallow swimmers day light with a flashy side if sunny
and eels at night

fumifish
09-25-2008, 11:14 AM
not sure if anyone had any more to add to this one...

Pete F.
09-25-2008, 12:04 PM
I will from my last trip
Eelskin Junior

fumifish
09-25-2008, 12:12 PM
I will from my last trip
Eelskin Junior

:jump1:

thx bluefishercat