View Full Version : Squirrels, rats or mice in my plants

Sluggoslinger
09-07-2006, 11:37 AM
I have a roof deck in southie that I have planted tomato plants in. Those god dammed furry little f'ers keep chewing up the base of the plant. If not that, they wait until the tomato is just about ripe and eat it! So far this summer I had one small tomato. I planted cayenne peppers with them as well, and they eat those too!

Are these guys any good for bait:nailem:

I wrapped the bases of them with tin foil and a little garlic in it last night. Who knows if it will work...

libeachbum758
09-08-2006, 03:50 PM
check with a local agway or some other type of plants store and ask for fox urine or something of that sort they are a natural predator of the rodents :nailem:

Jimbo
09-08-2006, 04:21 PM
SOmeone please post if they know the solution to the undetectable rodent who is also gnawing small portions off my tomatoes as well. It wouldn't be so bad if I knew it was a cutter worm, but when the thing eats just enough to make it unedible for me that pi$$es me off. I did have a mole or a vol or something. everyday he'd dig a hole and I'd come home and flood it. FInally I went away for a while and came back and it was amazing the dirt piled up. So I started flooding it again. A tomato plant suddenly dropped down 8-10 inches because I guess he burrowed under it. A while section of my garden just dropped. So I took the bag of spent kitty litter my kids had cleaned out of the box and I sat the bag right in the middle or where he'd expressed squatters rights. I never saw any sign of him after that.

Backbeach Jake
09-08-2006, 07:58 PM
I'd bet that it's birds. They're not affected by capsecin, however you spell, the hot in hot peppers. They treat birdseed with it to keep squirrels from cleaning out the feeder.

Sluggoslinger
09-11-2006, 11:39 AM
The fox urin is a great idea. As far as the bird idea... it could very well be birds. Our neighbor feeds the pigions!! as a result, I have nice white marks all over my car in the morning. One of these days I'm going to cover his car with bird feed to see how he likes it...

Backbeach Jake
09-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Bird seed or better MacDonald's Fries. You'll draw seagulls. Bigger spots.:laugha:

Swimmer
09-12-2006, 11:00 AM
I think we've found Whitey Bulger! He's under sluggoslingers deck.
:uhuh:

Jon G
10-03-2006, 07:05 PM
This year I have about 200 corn plants all looking awesome no bugs perfect. All at the same time squirells destroyed all of it in three days, the first day I thought it was racoons but the next day when I came home for lunch, one ran right across the street with a cob in his mouth :nailem: then the next day the crows helped them finish and it was all over, every piece gone or eaten. Every year insects get me but this year the critters did it. Wait till next year :nailem: :nailem: :nailem: :hihi:

justplugit
10-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Squirrels have been the culprits for me :( Very few if any nuts on the trees this year and they're eatin anything they can get their little ratty teeth in. :devil2:

Rats with bushy tails. :liquify:

macojoe
10-03-2006, 08:41 PM
Moth balls !! I had moles before, and a ground hog under the shead, I hung (in nylon stocking) moth balls along the bottom of the shead, Ground Hog gone!!

I also put them all over the camper in the winter to keep spiders and things from getting in the burner tubes in the furance and hot water tank.

Bass Babe
10-06-2006, 08:16 AM
I need these rodent-luring plants you all speak of! If I can get them to eat the veggies instead of the house, I would be quite pleased. My boyfriend's parents were over a couple weeks ago, and they shot two squirrels -- IN THE HOUSE! I think there's still blood under the fridge... But if they got that many, with mommadukes pitching in on the shooting extravaganza, how many are still in the house? There's no way to keep them out, as the underside of the house is entirely open. I'm thinking maybe rat traps?

Raven
10-06-2006, 08:45 AM
my dad got ticked off at the squirells.... because they were eating all of the maple buds (because they're sweet) and the trees would only have half of there leaves on them come summer and looked like hell
not to mention them trying to chew their way into the attic to run across your ceiling at night while your trying to sleep.

so it was 25 cents per tail... was the bounty...

i'd collect tails where ever i went from cars running them over
and i shot everyone i could until the population was reasonable.
i had the best allowance of all time... that year...
and the next year the maple trees looked outstanding.

Bass Babe
10-07-2006, 07:42 AM
There are so many squirrels up in this area that if there was a quarter bounty per tail, I would quit my job and become the Squirrel Hunter -- crikey!

Thom
10-10-2006, 04:09 PM
HEy my Lab used to picked tomatoes only the reddest ones never put a tooth mark in them. God did the taste good no work and nice and fresh. The niehbor thought it was a hoot. ThomT