View Full Version : Needed 90 hp Merc lower unit

Slinger
09-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Had a too close encounter with a rock today and broke the lower unit on my motor but managed to get back to the ramp. I know nothing about how and where to go get it fixed. Is it a job that would require a pro or could I do it myself? What would be a reasonable price for such a repair?
Slinger

BigBo
09-09-2006, 01:04 PM
Where are you located and what year motor? What's the extent of damage?

Slinger
09-09-2006, 03:41 PM
A big chunk of the skeg is missing and the coweling that seperates the prop from the gear box is missing about 2 inches, so all the oil leaked out. If it was just the skeg I could probably get by. No damage to the prop and the boat ran back to the ramp fine but I don`t think it could go much further without oil. It`s an 89 motor but with very low hours, sat for many years when the previous owner got sick. The shaft is 20". Aftwer a few calls there`s a guy nearby that does marine repairs that says he has a used lower unit for $700. Is that ballpark for this part? Should I jump on it while I`ve got the chance or hold out to look around?
Slinger

thefishingfreak
09-09-2006, 04:08 PM
pssttt..
mine blew up. i told ins co. i hit something. check recieved. thank you..

fishingfred
09-09-2006, 05:19 PM
if you can get one, its an easly fix, (if you have ever changed your water pump) just four or six bolts, un-do the linkage and slide out. I had a rock "jump" out in front of my 200hp Suzuki a few years back. Found one in Uncle Henry's w/ a blown power head. $325 w/ some haggling and changed it out that Sunday afternoon.

Also try Iboats.com

BigBo
09-09-2006, 05:47 PM
I found a used lower unit complete with prop for a small Evinrude for $200. Rebuilt the water pump and good to go. Easy do it yourself fix.:cheers:

fishaholic18
09-09-2006, 07:03 PM
I tore mine off on a rock, insurance paid for it..Good luck with it.

christopher_rom
09-13-2006, 08:23 PM
easy fix...try ebay