View Full Version : Why Is It Called Angling?

BigFish
09-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Can anyone give me a reason why fishing is and has been referred to as "angling"???? Angle of your cast, angle in relation to the waves, angle you hold the rod at????? Just a curious question I have often asked myself......any answers?:huh:

fishaholic18
09-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Hmmmmmm, good ?? BF..

angle:
intransitive verb : to turn or proceed at an angle
transitive verb
1 : to turn, move, or direct at an angle.
2 : to present (as a news story) from a particular or prejudiced point of view.

Makes no sense.:smash:

striprman
09-09-2006, 09:15 PM
Larry, its the hook. In the "olden days" a wire was used as a hook and it was bent at an angle, like a "V". one end was the "pointed" end and one end was flattened and tied (wrapped around) the silk thread. Check out the history of Salmon fishing.

clambelly
09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
here's a good one...

an-gler  /ang-ler/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ang-gler] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun
1. a person who fishes with a hook and line.
2. a person who gets or tries to get something through scheming.

#2 is the key. i guess you could say if you were trying to get a girl, you could consider yourself an angler as well.:gu:

fishaholic18
09-09-2006, 09:18 PM
Yup, Striprman's right..Googled this up.

Angling is a form of fishing. It is often used synonymously with the terms sport fishing and recreational fishing, although subtle semantic distinctions exist among the three terms. Specifically, angling is the practice of catching fish by means of an "angle" (hook). The hook is usually attached by a line to a fishing rod. A bite indicator such as a float is sometimes, but not always, used. Frequently, the rod is outfitted with a fishing reel that functions as a mechanism for storing, retrieving and paying out the line. The hook can be dressed with lures or bait. Generally, angling is thought of, principally, as a method of sport fishing but some commercial fisheries use methods which are quite similar.

BigFish
09-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Thankyou gentlemen....I can die happy now!:btu:

BassyiusMaximus
09-11-2006, 12:53 PM
I may be wrong however, I believe angling is about the angle of the line from the rod or rod's tip down to the fishes mouth, and in order to sucessfully get the fish to the fisherman, one had to change the "angles." That is, by pulling one way, then pulling the other, that by changing the angles, one can turn the fish and change the angle.

There are almost no angles on a hook save for the barb, only decreasing or increasing radii, math. There is math in fishing???

reelecstasy
09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
so, if I want to go out tonight I can just tell my girl I am going out with a bunch of "hookers" that should work... :btu:

JohnR
09-11-2006, 01:11 PM
My guess would be since English is based mostly on French and German that it might have root in the German word Angeln (Krispy can correct me if I'm wrong) - Angeln = Fishing.

fishaholic18
09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
so, if I want to go out tonight I can just tell my girl I am going out with a bunch of "hookers" that should work... :btu:
:rotfl: :btu: Try it Chris and let me know how it worked..:hang:

Jimbo
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
There's some interesting theories out there on the origins of fishing. Here's two I found:
1) The use of the hook in angling is descended, historically, from what would today be called a "gorge." The word "gorge", in this context, comes from an archaic word meaning "throat." Gorges were used by ancient peoples to capture fish. A gorge was a long, thin piece of bone or stone attached by its midpoint to a thin line. The gorge would be fixed with a bait so that it would rest parallel to the lay of the line. When a fish would swallow the bait, a tug on the line would cause the gorge to orient itself at right angles to the line, thereby sticking in the fish's gullet.
2) Incidentally, the English term angling is derived from "angle" which in its earliest use appears to mean fish hook, although it has in later times been used to mean "tackle", hook line and rod, collectively. The writer was therefore inclined to believe that it is the baited hook that makes a fisherman an angler, not the rod.

Flaptail
09-11-2006, 04:40 PM
Hah. I know the answer to this one. In Dame Juliana Berners wrote her "treatise on ctahing a fish with an angle" written in 1604 I belive, she writes of how to catch fish with bait on a hook, then known not as a hook but an "angle". Incidently, the best part is the first book evr written on fishing was by a woman and a nun to boot!

JohnR
09-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Uhhh, I would think the act of fishing - perhaps even with a hook - predates the english language ... Hmmm, we need one a dem scholary like poepple to luuk it up

striprman
09-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Hah. I know the answer to this one. In Dame Juliana Berners wrote her "treatise on ctahing a fish with an angle" written in 1604 I belive, she writes of how to catch fish with bait on a hook, then known not as a hook but an "angle". Incidently, the best part is the first book evr written on fishing was by a woman and a nun to boot!

That predated "The Compleat Angler" by Izaac Walton
google Isaac Walton. I read that old book, It is a "classic" of English literature.
Still looking for a copy of the "treatise"

Ever heard of the Izaac Walton League ?

numbskull
09-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Uhhh, I would think the act of fishing - perhaps even with a hook - predates the english language ... Hmmm, we need one a dem scholary like poepple to luuk it up

Actually you are right. Fishing is a very ancient skill, practiced by many prehistoric people including the Polynesians, Eskimos, Aztecs, and guys from Brockton. Early on, techniques were very crude, usually involving big rocks, spears, or rudimentary nets made out of flaxen rope. But about 6000 BVS (before Van Staal), the famous Japanese sage, Gam Atzu, discovered that people would sell their children for a ready source of sushi, or good ponography but that's another matter. Quick to meet demand, Gam invented bronze, from which he fashioned the first real fish hooks. Within a milenium, this new invention spread through the known world, although in Brockton they failed to hear about it and persisted trying to perfect hydro-oriented fish-calls instead. Fishing, however, remained primarily a commerical pursuit until approximately 2000 BVS, when the Romans brought venereal disease and fish hook technology to England. As would be expected, the resultant glut of skanky women lead to a demand for other recreational pastimes. Since NASCAR was not yet available, many men turned their attention towards the pursuit of the noble trout and salmon. Using bits of feathers and expensive bamboo, they became gay and we won't talk about them anymore. The rest, hairy chested, loud farting, and mostly wasted fellows that they were, set sail for the new world where they found the rivers so full of Basse they could walk on them (once those pesky Indians were packed off to Foxwoods). Again finding themselves short of available womenfolk or, in the case of Long Island, because of the available womenfolk, many took to the beaches to kill some time before the hunting and witch burning seasons began. It was there that the first fishing clubs were born, out of the need for big beer companies to dispose of excess inventory. This worked so well that, within 200 years, the fishery was exhausted and people switched to using plugs since they weren't catching anything anyways. Of course, nice plugs are expensive, so all these guys had to get jobs and pay taxes, which made big government possible in order to save the seals and piping plovers. Which is where we are today, except for those Brockton guys who are still confused about the skanky women bit, and that's why we call it "angling". I hope you found this helpful, and if you have any more questions, go ask someone else please. Thanks.

striprman
09-11-2006, 06:49 PM
lol

fishaholic18
09-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Actually you are right. Fishing is a very ancient skill, practiced by many prehistoric people including the Polynesians, Eskimos, Aztecs, and guys from Brockton. Early on, techniques were very crude, usually involving big rocks, spears, or rudimentary nets made out of flaxen rope. But about 6000 BVS (before Van Staal), the famous Japanese sage, Gam Atzu, discovered that people would sell their children for a ready source of sushi, or good ponography but that's another matter. Quick to meet demand, Gam invented bronze, from which he fashioned the first real fish hooks. Within a milenium, this new invention spread through the known world, although in Brockton they failed to hear about it and persisted trying to perfect hydro-oriented fish-calls instead. Fishing, however, remained primarily a commerical pursuit until approximately 2000 BVS, when the Romans brought venereal disease and fish hook technology to England. As would be expected, the resultant glut of skanky women lead to a demand for other recreational pastimes. Since NASCAR was not yet available, many men turned their attention towards the pursuit of the noble trout and salmon. Using bits of feathers and expensive bamboo, they became gay and we won't talk about them anymore. The rest, hairy chested, loud farting, and mostly wasted fellows that they were, set sail for the new world where they found the rivers so full of Basse they could walk on them (once those pesky Indians were packed off to Foxwoods). Again finding themselves short of available womenfolk or, in the case of Long Island, because of the available womenfolk, many took to the beaches to kill some time before the hunting and witch burning seasons began. It was there that the first fishing clubs were born, out of the need for big beer companies to dispose of excess inventory. This worked so well that, within 200 years, the fishery was exhausted and people switched to using plugs since they weren't catching anything anyways. Of course, nice plugs are expensive, so all these guys had to get jobs and pay taxes, which made big government possible in order to save the seals and piping plovers. Which is where we are today, except for those Brockton guys who are still confused about the skanky women bit, and that's why we call it "angling". I hope you found this helpful, and if you have any more questions, go ask someone else please. Thanks.

Good one..:laugha: :scream: :rotfl:

Tagger
09-11-2006, 06:57 PM
i peed my pants .. :jump1: i gotta print that out ,,,freakin geinus.. thanks for the history lesson .. Numbskull for president commitee..:uhuh:

afterhours
09-11-2006, 07:01 PM
great history lesson george!:claps:

Flaptail
09-11-2006, 09:28 PM
I fish with Mel Brooks junior.:doh:

Slingah
09-12-2006, 06:12 AM
:hihi: :bl2: :rotf2: :jump1: :kewl:

Slinger
09-12-2006, 07:01 AM
Flap has it right, Dame Julianna`s book was titled "Treasties on Fishing With an Angle" meaning hook. Actually fly fishing has been around since the ancient Egyptians according to research done by a friend of mine for a book he is writing.
Slinger

Flaptail
09-12-2006, 07:53 AM
See I told you so!:smash:

JohnR
09-12-2006, 10:27 AM
:rotf3:

That was good :btu:

Lasses, Basses, or Bass (Ale) - nobody rides for free....

Karl F
09-12-2006, 11:15 AM
:rotf2: Geroge... toooo funy..
Brilliant! :cheers:

vineyardblues
09-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Brockton plays some good football,,,why is that ?
Eddie :smash:
VB

libassboy
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
One of the funniest posts ever on here, and well concieved!

BassyiusMaximus
09-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Agreed, absolutely one of the funniest posts about fishing, bar none! Great Job Numbskull. BVS, I'm still laughing.

The Iceman 6
09-12-2006, 02:12 PM
Could be up for best post ever....

justplugit
09-12-2006, 05:25 PM
tooo funnie NS. :laughs: :rotf3: :laughs: :btu: