View Full Version : RI Fillet law

MotoXcowboy
09-09-2006, 10:24 PM
whoops I edited/deleted most of my post by accident...

was trying to bump with this....

why give poachers the Fillet advantage :confused:

Redsoxticket
09-09-2006, 10:47 PM
You should of used there phone. Give a fake reason that they can't resist, then call 911.

JohnR
09-11-2006, 10:51 AM
Is it possible to repost - I would like to see what you have to say. I'm an alternate on an advisory panel that deals with items like that...

MotoXcowboy
09-11-2006, 12:11 PM
I saw crew of poachers catch and fillet a few shorts..throw them in the cooler, and toss the frames back in.. all within 2mins of dragging the fish up to the rocks. Reminded me of the movie.. "Gone in 60 Seconds"

I wanted to say something but they didn't speak english and I was outnumbered 8-1.
:bgi: :nopain:

I would've called the DEM hotline on them but didn't have the #..
But the point is...if even DEM shows up how can they enforce the law without the frame?

I think we need the same no fillet law as Mass. Who besides the poachers...would be affected? I see nothing wrong with treating bass like a BFT, (gutted and kept it intact as evidence) take the rest home..

A person that can't deal with transporting their fish, shouldn't be striper fishing. Just my opinion.

JohnR
09-11-2006, 03:00 PM
Ahh - I see - good points...

There are several problems - filet law or no filet law - they were taking shorts and a DEM EPO could probably have done something about it.

As for flieting at the beach or in RI waters it is sure convenient but it does make it tougher on the EPOs for enforcement. RI is the only state on the eastcoast without a filet law. I would not be suprised to see one soon...

SBASS1
09-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Striper fillets are pretty obvious, and they have to be an average minimum of 18 inches giving 5" for the head and tail for a 28" keeper. The CO's should be able to tell the difference between a blue and a bass fillet, if they cant they have no business being a CO. And it shouldn't be an excuse that they can't cut fish well.... Call DEM next time, those people don't normally leave right away...

stormfish
09-12-2006, 09:30 AM
EPOs are rental cops... They're no enviornmental experts nor are they law enforcers. They rather bust people's balls at stateparks for having a beer & misc. beverages than nab poachers.