View Full Version : From Mono to Braid and back again

fcap60
09-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Yep, there are a lot of reasons for using both Braided and Mono. lines
I think the best way to descibe it is there is a place for both. I recently picked up some 20lb ande backcountry and, so far, I am pleased with the results. While Braids have clearly advanced over the past 10 years, mono line has made significant improvements in, say, the last 2-4 years as well.

For me its Mono on conventional reels (especially around the rocks) and either braid or mono on spinning reels depending on the size of the reel and the area I'm fishing. (generally, light tackle-braid, heavy cover -Mono).

Just my $.02:ss:

riarcher
09-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Had to try the "new" stuff myself.
Tried both PP and Fireline.
Installed some 17# Silver Tread on the 6500 ABU for the weekend.
Yup, I'll be changing them all back to mono.
All the "new" stuff just isn't worth the bother to me at this point.
I'll save it, just too much $$$ to throw away.
PP was a real test of patients. (and cost me some good gear too):whackin:

numbskull
09-11-2006, 04:24 PM
An underestimated benefit (except when jigging) of mono is it's stretch. Although I can work plugs better with Fireline, I loose less fish and straighten less hooks with mono. I find I can fish a tighter drag and control big fish better in the rocks as a result.

Flaptail
09-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Yep, there are a lot of reasons for using both Braided and Mono. lines
I think the best way to descibe it is there is a place for both. I recently picked up some 20lb ande backcountry and, so far, I am pleased with the results. While Braids have clearly advanced over the past 10 years, mono line has made significant improvements in, say, the last 2-4 years as well.

For me its Mono on conventional reels (especially around the rocks) and either braid or mono on spinning reels depending on the size of the reel and the area I'm fishing. (generally, light tackle-braid, heavy cover -Mono).

Just my $.02:ss:

My boy you have hit the perverbial nail on the head. Kudos to you for a lucid, well spoken proclomation. I award you and honorary doctorate in lineology, congratulations! I have gone the same route and for the very smae reasons. WELL DONE!:btu: :uhuh:

Slingah
09-11-2006, 04:51 PM
in the past few years I have lost a few good fish with braid, due to straightened hooks and rub off from rocks.....but on the other hand I don't think I could have reached those fish casting with mono......and I also believe I catch more fish with braid because of the sensitivity....the "hit" factor......
so for now I'm sticking with braid........

Backbeach Jake
09-11-2006, 06:32 PM
An underestimated benefit (except when jigging) of mono is it's stretch. Although I can work plugs better with Fireline, I loose less fish and straighten less hooks with mono. I find I can fish a tighter drag and control big fish better in the rocks as a result.
I've noticed that, too. Like a big shock absorber. I was snapping my braid when I first tried until I backed off the drag. My neighbor actually caught one of those first break-off fish the next day in the same spot.
A big rubber band with a tighter drag can be a real benefit getting a biggun in.

justplugit
09-12-2006, 05:00 PM
.....and I also believe I catch more fish with braid because of the sensitivity....the "hit" factor......
so for now I'm sticking with braid........

Yup the "hit" factor says it all for me.I've always been slow on the hook up and find with the braid most fish hook themselves.