View Full Version : Need some help on how to fish Canal..

FishermanAyer
09-16-2006, 09:20 AM
hows it goin everyone well im a newbie here and a newbie to slatwater fishing. I tried the canal early this season with a few buddies of mine and what we did was a straight hook and makrel. Casted out and let the current take it until most of the line was gone reeled in and repeated. Everyone caught a keeper using this method and was wondering if this was a good idea to try again or not around this time. Any tips are highly welcome

East Tide
09-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Find a spot where the current swirls out in from of you and there is a seam of smoother water.

Toss you chuck upstream, maybe with a 1 oz rubber core sinker a couple feet above it and free spool some line. Wait until the meat is out in front of you and before the line starts to drag let out some more line, keep doing this until it's about 45* down current or maybe a little closer to shore and do it again.

If a fish picks it up wait until the line goes taunt before you set up on her lips!!!

I haven't fished this way in a long long time though so if you are a hardcore chunker feel free to add your proven methods....

The Dad Fisherman
09-16-2006, 10:09 AM
Everything you need to know

Canal How-To (http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=14919)

CanalGuy
09-16-2006, 01:42 PM
mmmmmmm mackerel!:chatter

stiff tip
09-16-2006, 02:25 PM
face water keep casting , when fishin bait on a current, less weight is best..learn to drift the current w/ chunk bait into the strike zone .. get a bike n pay attention to where the fisherman are n time on the tide...one more thing?????? to be good @ the canal ,fish 3or 4 days a week n learn the spots............................................. .....

FishermanAyer
09-16-2006, 02:55 PM
thanks just got back diddnt get anything but the guy next to me using mackrel ( i was using sea clams ) he cuaght two keepers one was a really nice bluefish and the other was a keeper size striper. I was using just a hook and sea clams. Next time i got i am going to buy 10-15 mackrel and use half for chum and the other for bait. My rod is a 11 foot tsunami and i have an avenger65 reel. I also have 25 pound braided line.

numbskull
09-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Follow the birds.
Follow guys who leave after answering their cellphones.
Carry expensive tackle.
Don't cast until you see someone else hook a fish.
Keep reeling after you snap one off, no one may notice.
Any vessel you can reach is fair game.
Don't feed the snakes.
Don't feed the mosquitos.
Bring a treat for the rats, lest they get mad at you.
Look both ways before peeing.
Practice your swearing.
Offer your suffering for the poor souls in Purgatory.
Stay upwind of Slip, unless you know someone in Purgatory.

Nebe
09-16-2006, 03:16 PM
thanks just got back diddnt get anything but the guy next to me using mackrel ( i was using sea clams ) he cuaght two keepers one was a really nice bluefish and the other was a keeper size striper. I was using just a hook and sea clams. Next time i got i am going to buy 10-15 mackrel and use half for chum and the other for bait. My rod is a 11 foot tsunami and i have an avenger65 reel. I also have 25 pound braided line.

chum. chum. chum.

The Dad Fisherman
09-17-2006, 12:44 AM
he cuaght two keepers one was a really nice bluefish

Geesh, Don't let Clammer here you say that :eyes: