View Full Version : Put the dog down today....

labrax
09-16-2006, 06:18 PM
We've been dealing with a problem with our 11 year old lab Mariah this past week. She had a problem with the disks in her back. Tried a shot of Dex, pregnisone and muscle relaxers and while there was initial improvement, she started to regress. Wife calls while I was actually out fishing in Falmouth this morning to report that Mariah's front and rear legs had given out on her when walking and she was panting pretty good while resting, which is a sign they are in some pain. We brought her back to the vets and found that she had some lymph node swelling too, so we made the decision to euthanize her and let her go.

She was part of my wife's life before me, and I am actually allergic to dogs - but she was part of the deal and I became very attached to her. My wife is a former vet tech, and loves all pets, but I was surprised at how emotional I am/was over putting her down. The worst part is my 5 year old daughter is looking up in the air and asking the dog to come back down from Heaven, and telling us that this 'is the worst day of her life'. Kids bounce back and she'll probably be asking us for a new dog by tomorrow night. Just needed to vent a bit...

Redsoxticket
09-16-2006, 06:32 PM
My dog Willow has telepathy and she communicated to Mariah.
Mariah said "Thank You for treating me like a person and remember the good times, bye, I'll see you someday"

BigFish
09-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Sorry for your loss Labrax....I love my pets....they are part of the family in every way!

tattoobob
09-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Sorry for your loss Labrax

Squid kids Dad
09-16-2006, 07:29 PM
I had to make the same decision twice....They both were very hard to do..I feel your pain...Hang in there

Raven
09-16-2006, 07:31 PM
you become more attached to a dog than with people
sometimes because there's never any arguments ....
just love and great memories...

sorry to hear that labrax.... i hope you
and the whole family feels better soon.

nightfighter
09-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Man.....brings back tough memories of having to do the same for two beloved labs of mine. The memories of your great times shared with your trusting companion will, in time, melt away the sorrow of today. Know that you have done the best you could for her. I still recall crying for days when my parents had to put my first lab down when I was five, so your daughter will have good memories of her first pet too.

Backbeach Jake
09-16-2006, 07:55 PM
You did the right thing by your dog. If only people were treated so well... Have had to do that myself, tough decision but the right one even if it does hurt like hell.

Katie
09-16-2006, 08:07 PM
I know how you feel, had to put down my first dog when i was 10. I remember it like yesterday. But you just have to remember the memories, and that they'll always be with you in your heart. Now 6 years later, we have another dog that i get to grow up with, where he will be 6 in christmas, and i love him to death. now that i know what is to come, i'm taking a bunch of pictures, and playing with him every chance i get.

Its all about the memories... and she's still with you in spirit!

In The Surf
09-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear it. Have had to do it more than once myself. I know it sucks but you made the right decision.

labrax
09-16-2006, 08:34 PM
Thank you for the kind words and sharing your experiences. I have had less of a response for some people that have passed on than the dog, which kind of surprises me, but on the other hand she always was there, was always happy to see you and the love was given unconditionally.

Have a good night,

Pete

teaser
09-16-2006, 11:02 PM
Pete, I feel the loss you and you're family are dealing with. Everyone on this board had helped me through the loss of my dog "Squirt" 2 years ago and I know it meant so much to me, I only wish I could say or do something to help with the pain. I used to call Squirt "my son" and in his memory I'll post this following item and hope it helps you and the family know that you will see you're pup again.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food and water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. The bright eyes are intent, the eager body quivers. Suddenly she begins to break away from the group, flying over the green grass, her legs carrying her faster and faster. YOU have been spotted and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face, your hands again caress her beloved head and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you pass over Rainbow Bridge together....to heaven.

The Dad Fisherman
09-17-2006, 12:42 AM
The worst part is my 5 year old daughter is looking up in the air and asking the dog to come back down from Heaven, and telling us that this 'is the worst day of her life'.

Oh my God that would have broke my heart. Very sorry for your loss.

ktugboat42
09-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Sorry for your lose. We went through it 2 years ago. It's a tough but you did the right thing.

Pete_G
09-17-2006, 03:50 AM
I have had less of a response for some people that have passed on than the dog, which kind of surprises me, but on the other hand she always was there, was always happy to see you and the love was given unconditionally.

I think that's normal. For me at least. Unless we're just weird, but I don't think so.

MrHunters
09-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Imagine if there wasnt this much sadness at this time in your life.

You had a close friend move on, your sadness only shows how much you cared for your dog, and Im sure there were plenty of real good memories that are in turn, causing yours and your family's pain now. bet you wouldnt trade it for anything either :)

Sorry for you loss labrax.

Karl F
09-17-2006, 07:19 AM
tough decision, but the right one.. as BBJ said, we should treat people so good..
sorry for your loss.

Swimmer
09-17-2006, 11:17 AM
My condolences

riverrat55
09-17-2006, 05:15 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss.
5 years ago had to put down our beloved golden at 13 years.
Hardest decision of our lives.
Now we look back and smile at such a wonderful life she had
with us. We have those memories and pictures to console us.

justplugit
09-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Sorry for your loss Labrax. You did the right thing for your dog, as hard as that was.

Time is the only thing that will ease the pain of losing a member of your family.

labrax
09-17-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks folks - today is definitely better for the whole family. We have a whole lot of great memories that definitely dwarf the short-term feeling of loss.

My wife had a good idea to memorialize the dog for our daughter by getting one of those cement-like handprint things at the craft store - where you make an impression of your kids hands (or dogs paws) and decorate it and give it to the grandparents, etc. Well we got one and had my daughter design it. Picked up some beach glass, beach rocks and the tags from the dog's collar and decorated it up with her name and date. When it dries we will put it in one of the mulch beds outside as a sort of headstone/memorial. My daughter is happy and is fully into the project, which is great.

Bad part is - I am going to have to keep the broom handy now in the kitchen - whenever a scrap of food used to hit the floor she was like a shop-vac.

Have a good night and thanks again.

Pete

Clammer
09-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Man --i can feel the pain

I have to great {old] dogs a 13 Y/O golden & a mixed /pound of the week dog //age unknown //
Both are having hip problems along with some other issues // I swell right up thinking about when that time comes ;; I hope I won,t be selfish & can let them go ,.,.,,
they are far better than most people I,ve met & they are my roomates ;;

Duke41
09-17-2006, 08:21 PM
Near this spot
Are deposited the Remains
Of one
Who possessed Beauty
Without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the Virtues of Man
Without his Vices.

The Price, which would be unmeaning flattery
If inscribed over Human Ashes,
Is but a just tribute to the Memory of
“Boatswain,” a Dog
Who was born at Newfoundland,
May, 1803,
And died in Newstead Abbey,

JFigliuolo
09-18-2006, 09:27 AM
The other will probably not make it through winter. It's a tough decision, but as long as you do what is right for them you can be confident you id the right thing. I am deeply sorry for what you are going through. I does get better.

reelecstasy
09-18-2006, 09:33 AM
It is very hard, it gets a little easier.

Saltheart
09-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Sorry for your Sad times. have put down 2 dogs and the best cat ever. Its a difficult duty you face as a pet owner

Sluggoslinger
09-18-2006, 12:25 PM
I'm very sorry. My thoughts are with you... People who don't have dogs never understand how much they can become a part of your life. They don't call them mans best friend for nothing...

Best wishes,

Steve