View Full Version : Losing Fish grrrrr!

jcsganga34
05-28-2002, 12:48 PM
Hi All,

I've had a real annoying past week fishing over by the Amelia Earhardt dam in Somerville/Charleston (Massachusetts) line. I've been chunking with mackeral using #6 hooks and getting lots of hits (20 or so) but have only landed 2 stripers (25 and 14 inch). Now I've always been told to let the fish run once they've taken the bait but they don't seem to be do that? It's like they take a couple of hits and spit out the bait out right away. My question is should I be more pro-active in setting a hook or am I using the wrong bait for this time of the season? A friend of mine suggested that my hooks are probably too small? I have heard another suggestion of using circle hooks but am unfamiliar with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
john

JohnR
05-28-2002, 01:31 PM
John - welcome to S-B...

Couple things: You can certainly try a circle hook, typical bait chunkin' go with a 5/0 or 6/0 sized hook. When a fish picks up the bait, let it run for a 3-7 seconds with the rod pointing at the fish and then start reeling once the line is taught, raise the tip of the rod high and you should be on. If you use the traditional hook set, circles don't work. The Circles will also hook the fish in the corner of the mouth and are far less like likely to "gut hook" a fish and eventually killing it.

Good chunking rule of thumb when not using circles is to let fish run and usually after a few seconds to 6-7 seconds you'll feel a pause, that's the best time to set the hook but odds are you'll gut hook (any of you professional chunkers have anything to add? :D ). This was something I did a lot before realizing that a lot of fish I let go may not have survived because they were gut hooked.

Anyway, certainly give the circles a shot. If you get 20 runs, you'll get a higher hookup ratio. Another thing to consider if you're chunking is a bait runner style reel.

schoolie monster
05-28-2002, 01:43 PM
I don't chunk pretty much ever anymore, but I used circle hooks when eeling last season. I hooked and landed almost all the fish that hit and made a run with the eel. I still had some gut hooked fish, but I was using gamakatsu's that are slightly offset... I understand that someone makes a "straight" circle which is better at preventing deep hooks.

If the fish aren't making a run, my bet maybe that they are just smaller fish... I've been into really small (8-12") bass at the cape and now here in pretty big numbers. Or possibly non-bass hits, such as skates. Anyone know if there are other species frequenting that area?

IRL
05-28-2002, 03:53 PM
I have done a ton of fishing there I would switch to sea worms if I were you but if you are dead set on using macks cut a strip off the side or use the belly strip. I have allways done verry well there using worms try it out let us know !!!!
:)

NaCl H2O
05-29-2002, 07:35 AM
I agree with the 3 to 7 sec. wait before hookset... usually... but last summer fishing in the mouth of the Merrimack we were into a school of 30ish inch fish using mackerel chunks, where an immediate hookset was the only way we could catch fish. I guess I would recommend mixing it up and seeing what works.

Van
05-29-2002, 07:52 AM
Here's my take on this issue.

I've used circles and traditional and still prefer traditional.
Here's why I do not worry too much.
I do alot of chunking around the rockpiles and sometimes deep.
I do not hestiate at all, I use baitrunners, keep the line slightly taught, and when the spool spins, I set immediately. Most of the time they are hooked inside the mouth (I use tru-turn hooks) or on the lips.

If the fish is small the bait will pull out ( I use huge chunks).
If you let them run too long they may get gut hooked.
If it is gut hooked, and its over 28 that's the one I keep, and release everything else.

To each their own, like some said try and see what works best for you.
Good Luck:)

BIGSWELL
05-29-2002, 07:58 AM
Well....being a chunk bait kind of guy, I have to put in my two cents.

Rule #1 - always use a 5/0 or 6/0 hook as John recommended, I prefer to use Mustad #92553 offsets as they work excellent when setting the hook.

Rule #2 Always hook the chunk through the belly side.....not the back when using the midsections. The bait will sink better and makes for a better hook set...this applies to herring as well

Rule #3 If you are a regular chunk fisherman, do yourself a favor and buy a Shimano Baitrunner. The best reel ever for this kind of stuff. I rarely miss a stick once I have a hit.

Rule #4 Keep moderate tension on the chunk while working it on the bottom, if you need weight, use something that will slide up and down the line....do not use any weight that is tied directly to the line. The fish will feel the weight and spit it out. Let the fish run on a slow 5 count and stick him....works every time.

FYI.....dont always use a huge chunk....smaller pieces work wonders. Macks....4 per fish. Herring...3-4 pieces.

Good Luck