View Full Version : VHF Contact

Got Stripers
05-28-2002, 03:50 PM
For those that are interested, maybe it would be a good idea to get a list of boat names, VHF channels, port of call etc so we can talk if we like, or get assistance if needed.

I'll start it off. I don't know squat about VHF, specifically which channels I should or shouldn't be monitoring and I only turn it on occassionally as I hate the damn noise. When I do I usually transmit on 16 and switch as needed. Since my boat doesn't have an "official" name, I guess Got Stripers works for me. Port of call is usual Scituate, but I will fish north to Boston and south to Plymouth.

Boat is a Green Lund 1890 ProV with dual consoles and 130 HP Honda 4-stroke. If enough guys are interested and post, we can get a condensed list to print.

Striper1
05-28-2002, 05:08 PM
My boat name is also my board name :D

I fish out of Quincy, Boat is a 97 proline201 WA white/Green

Good idea GS
If I can help anyone of you guys and gals out there just call:)

My radio scans so I shoud hear you.

GS there shore was some big macks out there this weekend:eek:

Striper1 AKA Frank C.

Swede
05-28-2002, 05:44 PM
CH 69-Linesider...

Scotch Bonnet
05-28-2002, 09:42 PM
Also don't know sqaut about VHF but will have to learn. Boat name - SCOTCH BONNET out of Charlestown RI.

05-29-2002, 07:08 AM
I use 179 as a handle, and I typically monitor 65 & 71 on the VHF, out of Point Judith, RI

Billybob
05-29-2002, 08:28 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me. I'm no VHF expert either and I usually listen to ch 9 and then switch off but frankly don't talk much on it. Name is the Beach Blonde, it's a 73 , 23' Seacraft C.C. it's yellow. I usually launch at Old Saybrook, or Milford.

reel deal
05-29-2002, 10:45 AM
that's an awesome idea!
my boat's name is Reel Deal. it's a 17' Alcar CC, white with a blue t-top out of New Bedford, Ma. normally i scan from 9 to 16, but then i'll switch to another channel to talk.

Homerun04
05-29-2002, 11:39 AM
Just what I have been looking for.....great idea.

I fish off a 19' Boston Whaler.......tag is Saucey......mostly fish off the Cape and the waters of RI (PJ).......I know diddly about VHF but desperately am looking to find others to share info with......monitor channel 71 usually....

I'll help anyone I can find the fish when I am into them.....

05-29-2002, 11:56 AM
I would suggest we pick a channel that we could all use, I know channel 71 is the RISAA channel but there is typically little radio traffic on it. Channel 65 seems to be the charter channel. Channel 9 tends to be the (yuppie) sorry couldn't think of another word but you get your cruisers, and sailboats on that channel.

Another good point when using VHF is use the low power setting whenever possible. I notice alot of guys fishing right beside each other with their radios on high power (25-watts), I have talked as far away as 5-6 miles on the (1-watt) setting, this frees up the channel to other users without interfaring.

If anyone has any questions on radios, whether it be vhf, cb, or even ssb. I know them all very well!

Mr. Kav
05-29-2002, 01:20 PM
Kav's Catch, what ever channel that everyone decides on is fine with me. i am out of the town river in boston harbor

STEVE IN MASS
05-29-2002, 02:34 PM
Kav....what happened to "The Anchovy"? ;)

Van
05-29-2002, 02:43 PM
We talked about this on another thread also.
MSBA is starting a list of boaters to develop exaclty that, (check the spray) a channel we can all hail. During the summer the airwaves get real busy. I'm not sure what channel is best. Maybe 68,69,70?

Hey KAV, I am also out of town river..
Where do you dock/moor/launch?

GBOUTDOORS
05-29-2002, 02:56 PM
sounds great now someone pick a channel my boat name is also my board name GBOUTDOORS for now and I do have the vhf on at all times just in case. My boat is a white seaswirl 18.5 cc fishing out of Fairhaven,Dartmouth,Westport,and as soon as the winds change like tonight Cuttyhunk:happy: could not find anyone to go tonight so looks like I am on my own:(

JohnR
05-29-2002, 03:06 PM
As a side note to some of you with newer marine VHF radios. The new DSC standard - Digital Selective Calling - allows boats with this type radio to contact each other without hailing over the open airwaves (where others listen in ;) ) and without tying up another channel. I don't know the particulars but each radio has a code/handle that you can enter and find if it's in range.

Some models that interface with GPS can even send out locations to "allowed" DSC radios...

Just a thought ;)

Van
05-29-2002, 03:07 PM
I just realized that some of us are in MA and some in RI.

Certainly the VHF channel we pick should be for each area.

Keep it in mind.

Trayder
05-29-2002, 04:15 PM
Good idea,

I scan most of the time but would love to keep the VHF on a designated channel to hear reports or lend assistance.

Boat name is Trayder, Dark Green Contender 25, location: depends on the fishing. ;)

Homerun04
05-29-2002, 08:15 PM
Alright....here's the deal.....

179 : You pick the RI channel

Scotch: You pick the MA channel

Okay??

Bill L
05-29-2002, 08:33 PM
I aint got no radio :(

Scotch Bonnet
05-29-2002, 10:06 PM
Homer - a) I live in RI b) I don't know what the heck I'm doin with a VHF radio:smash: but I'll 2nd 179 in charge of Rhody channel. Matoonoc - if I see you out there I'll just yell really loud!

05-30-2002, 07:30 AM
Thanks for electing me to the RI-Channel Board, LOL.

Ok I suggest that us RI boaters (Mass guys can join us if you like) begin using channel 69 (Frequency 156.475) this is a non-commercial channel, so we shouldn't have any problems.

Occasionally you will get some overflow from channels 65 & 71 on there, but usually it's clear.

I'd love it if someone could print out a boat listing with boat name (number) and the owner's first name....

I should be out front of PJ Light tonight if anyone wants to give it a try. It would be great for us boaters to share info on fishing reports, especially when the fish start feeding on the surface..

*I also have a cb installed on the boat and monitor channel 10, for you sure guys...

Van
05-30-2002, 07:42 AM
Why not keep it simple and pick 69 for MA too??

So if you happen to be close to both you should get soemone.

I agree with 179, a list is in order, the chatter on the VHF gets loaded and
its difficult to figure out who is monitoring.

"Lou"
05-30-2002, 08:52 AM
Add my name to the list. My boat is a white searay 26' sundancer out of Pt Judith RI and I usually fish from the light to Charlestown breachway to the North Rip. I think this is a great idea btw, hope to see some of ya out there.

reel deal
05-30-2002, 02:19 PM
THERE ARE ALOT OF CHANNELS BEING MENTIONED FOR MA. AND RI. HAS THERE BEEN A CHANEL OR CHANELS DESIGNATED TO THIS YET? THIS IS ONE OF THE BETTER IDEAS I'VE SEEN IN AWHILE, AND I'LL HATE TO SEE IT FORGOTTEN ABOUT AND PUT ON THE BACK BURNERS FOR THE TIME BEING. AND HAS ANYONE STARTED PUTTING A LIST TOGETHER?

schoolie monster
05-31-2002, 01:33 PM
I don't usually monitor, but may start to switch it on more often if we get a network going.

Haven't decided on a vessel name yet, so Schoolie Monster works for me. I'm in a 17' Logic CC with a Honda off the back. Also got a minn kota riptide on the bow so I should be easy to spot. My name is Greg.

I will mostly launch out of Wessagussett in the Weymouth Back River. And may sneak out of Scituate from time to time when GS ain't lookin'...

Hope see some of you out there.

Oh ya, guess I'll monitor channel 69.

ofshore
05-31-2002, 09:11 PM
Monitor 16 65 71 Ansewer to" ofshore " will be out Saturday afternoon if anyone want's to give it atry. Barrington to Block. . By the way when hailing a boat or port etc. say thier name three times then state yours. ofshore out

Duke41
05-31-2002, 09:32 PM
Surfrunner, I monitor 71 @ 69. BI Sound Naragansett Bay. Mako 241

Scotch Bonnet
05-31-2002, 10:38 PM
What if we want to find out if anyone is out there on a given day. Maybe we can hail S-B, S-B, S-B or something like that to see whos on the water. Like 179 said, we can scout areas and relay info back and forth. Also the morning guys can help the afternoon guys and vice versa. Similar to the way the charter guys work B.I.

ofshore
06-01-2002, 08:05 PM
scotch- I will be out on sunday give it a try on 65 or 71 if your out.
ofshore

Got Stripers
06-07-2002, 10:10 AM
I haven't been online much for over a week, did we mass guys decide on a channel to monitor or what?

Van
06-07-2002, 10:48 AM
GotS..

I seems the issue died out a bit, but for our area Boston-SShore, we commonly use 69 anyway.(somehow that # is easy to remember).
I am typically in the harbor-outer islands out to the B-bouy.
And the "STICK" ;)

Karavi is the boat name, I will be out on Saturday for sure, maybe Sunday.
Will you use your screenname, or is there a boat name?

JohnR
06-07-2002, 10:52 AM
Couple things, why doesn't the different parts of Mass & Rhody just agree to one channel ;) - You're not going to hear what's out of range right ?

Come up with a channel and list of people and I can publish it online if you want or make it available offline..

Van
06-07-2002, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 179
[B]Thanks for electing me to the RI-Channel Board, LOL.

Ok I suggest that us RI boaters (Mass guys can join us if you like) begin using channel 69 (Frequency 156.475) this is a non-commercial channel, so we shouldn't have any problems.

John:
I also suggested in later post that we (in MA) also use 69 for hailing. If the channel is busy and your get some responses, we can agree to another channel and switch.

schoolie monster
06-07-2002, 11:43 AM
Scotch, I was thinkin' the same thing. Wouldn't it make alot of sense to see who all is out there rather than trying random vessels. This would kinda broadcast that you're on the water and monitoring for SB boaters.

SB, SB, SB, this is Schoolie Monster, monitoring ch.69, anyone in the harbor, over...

I've read up a little on VHF procedures, but mostly just for calling in emergencies... Not sure if this is cool or not. I know there is certain etiquette to follow.

Of course, we can also run a weekly thread i.e. Weedend Plans to see who all may be on the water and where. A Mass thread and a RI thread would make some sense. Then you may have an idea who's in your area already.

Van
06-07-2002, 12:43 PM
I like that idea SB-SB-SB,, "Got your ears on?" "Anyone from SB out here??

Anything like that should work.

CH 69 for now then people can switch if its too busy.

"Lou"
06-07-2002, 12:48 PM
I just typed up all the info that everyone posted here ie. boat names, handle names and boat descriptions. It's a Word document and anyone that wants it, i'd be happy to send it to you, or John R, if you want to post it somewhere. . .

"lou"

Timberwolf
06-08-2002, 06:48 AM
Great idea, The Timberwolf is a 24 ft Trophy fisherman with a 5.7 ltr. 350ci I/O Blue and white with a hard top. The recovery ball is up front. Monitor 9 and 16 but chat up on 69.

Home port is Fairhaven,Ma

JohnR
06-08-2002, 07:40 AM
Lou - sounds good, e-mail that to me...

Timberwolf, welcome to S-B, hope you like it here!

Van
06-10-2002, 07:32 AM
I was on the water Saturday and tried to hail a S-B member.
No luck after trying quite a few times during the morning. I was back at the dock by 2pm.
Did anyone get in touch with each other?

06-10-2002, 08:14 AM
I tried to call for some members on Saturday, with no luck. I was calling, (break: channel 69, any SB members on?)

It's too bad because I was just abslotulely hammering bass and blues off of Nebraska Shoals buoy. 6-bass to 35", and a couple large blues in the 13-14lb range.

Fish on nearly every pass. Really fun morning.

Van
06-10-2002, 09:50 AM
So...so far it has not worked in RI or MA.
I think we should just keep trying.
Eventually people will get to know each other on the radio.

Nice catches for you 179.
That's a good day.

06-10-2002, 10:16 AM
Van,
Will do, it's going to be a beautiful night so I'll be out there again, if anyone wants to give it a try I'll be monitoring 69, and fishing from Nebraska Shoal to the PJ Light area....

Scotch Bonnet
06-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Made some calls monday am to see if anybody wanted in on the fluke action. No replies. Sooner or later will get some communications going. Anybody else fish Monday mornings?

reel deal
06-10-2002, 12:46 PM
is everyone monitoring channel 69?

schoolie monster
06-10-2002, 02:17 PM
Don't get discouraged, I think folks are right... it will take a while for people to get in the habit of turnin' their radios on. I know I have all kinds of plans and strategies and ideas, but when I find that first flock of terns divin', I forget about everythiing and it all goes out the window.

I get so locked in sometimes, I forgot to try different colors, sizes, lures... 179's got the idea. Make us all aware of all the fish we might have caught had we been listening.

Anyway, myself, I wasn't on the water over the weekend... :mad: and I'm a very bitter man about it.

Homerun04
06-14-2002, 01:30 PM
Folks.....finally back from 3 weeks in Atlanta, and can;t wait to thit the waters tomorrow morning....either PJ or Cape.....will monitor 69 and use the hail "SB, SB, SB".....looking to hear form my friends.....I fish off the "Saucey".....19' Whaler.

Van
06-14-2002, 01:48 PM
Homerun:

Gonna be horrible out there tomorrow..:af: :(
NE wind to 20 mph and rain makes for a crappy day.

I'll check it out in the am, but if its fierce I'm going back to bed!

Stay home and catch up on some chores maybe, make the misses happy. ;)

reel deal
06-17-2002, 12:23 PM
i was out by butlers flats sunday morning murdering the fluke! i tried channel 69 to see if anyone else wanted to get some nice doormats. there wasn't much of a drift, but a few bounces off the bottom and my rod tip was dancing......... largest one i landed was 27 1/2" in length.

"Lou"
06-17-2002, 03:35 PM
reel deal: where is butler flats? I was out sunday and thought I might have heard something but it was broken up, i must have been too far away. I was around Pt. Judith, Charlestown beach, and Green Hill, and there wasn't too much happening. Congrats on the good fortune, glad to hear someone was catchin them.

Lou

reel deal
06-18-2002, 11:38 AM
hey lou......
butlers flats is out by fairhaven, ma. went back out there yesterday, and i couldn't get away from all the sand sharks. by sunset i was surrounded by blues crashing the surface. i tried channel 69 and got no responses.......oh well

19Mako
06-24-2002, 12:12 AM
I finally decided on a name for my boat, it's "OFF-DUTY"

It's a white 19ft Mako center console with a Honda 130, black bow dodger, no T-top yet. See you guys out there and good luck.

btw, went out this morning and the fishing was slow, why are the bass so scattered?

:D

Van
06-24-2002, 07:58 AM
Mako:
I think because the bait scattered the bass are not concentrated.
last year at this time and later we were still getting macks and catching bass everywhere.

We had some luck at point allerton this weekend.
Where were you fishing?

schoolie monster
06-24-2002, 10:21 AM
I also decided on a name for my boat.

Again, its a 17' logic with a honda 50hp and bowmount riptide trolling motor. Vessel name will be "Cross Rip" in honor of my grandfather who passed away in January.

He had two sailboats bearing that name. He was inducted into the Collegiate Sailing Hall of Fame and also won several Lipton Cup races to Bermuda. He raced against JFK in college when he was at MIT and JFK was at Harvard. He was a great navigator long before the days of GPS, etc. I plan on exploring his career alot more 'cause unfortunately, everything I know is pretty much second hand as he was fighting Alzheimer's for a long time. He attended my high school graduation (almost 15 yrs ago), but by the time I finished college, he didn't know who I was (no, I only had to go one extra semester). Wish I could've spent time on the water with him... I could have learned alot.

Anyways, you can add the "Cross Rip" to the list.

Homerun04
06-24-2002, 10:48 AM
To avoid confusion for all you folks put there.....

....my SB board name is Homerun04.....
my boat name is Saucey....

So.....if you are hailing the Saucey out on the open blue waters of RI or MA, you are talking to Homerun04 on this board.....

Hope that helps.

Mr. Kav
06-24-2002, 11:37 AM
is there a list of everyone's boat name and s-b member that we can print out?