View Full Version : New Member Looking For Information

Woodsman5
09-18-2006, 06:57 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just signed up new member entering new post for first time. The reason I signed up is to learn more about striper fishing from experienced anglers especially on the canal. My son and I went Sunday but only hooked 2 small ones. We used mackerel and lost plenty of hooks and weights that day.

IF anyone has any suggestions (locations, times, baits, etc) for us we would greatly appreciate it as we will try to go in next few weeks.

PS: has anyone ever heard of whales going thru canal because we arrived around 5am and we heard what we believed was some type of whale and judging from the direction of the sounds it was travelling west to east in the canal.

Signed
Woodsman5

Looking Forward to chatting with everyone

Swimmer
09-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Read and then read some more. You'll pick up the info you need.

fishsmith
09-18-2006, 07:28 PM
Hi woodsman welcome to SB.
The canal is tough place to start fishing but you got a couple so you know more than most. :hee:

Swimmer is right, there is tons of info at your fingertips,

the how to forum --> http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/forumdisplay.php?f=33 is a good place to check out and use the search function on all forums.

most important is to keep fishing and keep your :eyes: and ears open.

Good luck.

MrHunters
09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
welcome woodsman.

be careful... this addiction is hard to kick.

best things to do if you have a question is check the how to's like fs said. then try a search...
many are willing to share techniques and experiences... most shy away from "spots" You put your time in and you can have your own spots that you want to keep tight liped ;)

Good luck... find some running water and rocks, you should be good to go this time of year.

CanalGuy
09-18-2006, 11:34 PM
Well you got the first part down that being the mackerel. Stick to the slack tides for now you won't lose so many rigs. You'll only be able to fish for 40min. to an hour but it should produce. And head to the east cause I own the West.:fishslap: Good Luck!

Raven
09-19-2006, 05:23 AM
welcome to S-B .....:wavey:

Katie
09-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Welcome! :wavey:

gone fishin
09-19-2006, 08:12 PM
welcome -- You will need plenty of weights and jigs and tin to satisfy the canal gods! The "ditch" gets relined every year.:grins: